On forgetfulness

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2008
      Dear friends,

      Today's subject is so vast, that I definitely will not be able to
      cover it in one message.

      I was singing the song "Dusahasi Pather Mita", and in this beautiful
      feeling of meditation through Sri Chinmoy's music, it dawned on me
      that the mind wants to forget God, while the heart wants to embrace God.

      So here are some selections on this theme, plus a nice talk by Sri
      Chinmoy, titled "Humanity's Promise".

      Dusahasi Pather Mita Jhanjha Chira Sathi
      Indomitable storm is my fellow-traveler.
      It calls me again and again
      To play with it.
      Tenebrous night also calls me to play with it;
      Therefore I leave You
      And go away far, very far.
      O Beloved Supreme,
      Will You not bind me once and for all
      In the core of Your Eternity's Heart?

      Supreme, Teach Me How To Cry (page 39)
      http://tinyurl.com/6r46ax

      HOW CAN I FORGET YOU?

      How can I forget you?
      You are so kind.
      Am I so blind?
      How can I forget you?
      You are so true
      In all you do.
      How can I forget you?
      You are God's Choice,
      You are man's voice.

      Excerpt from From The Source To The Source by Sri Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0358/1/227/

      O Lord Supreme,
      True, I can forget You,
      But it is I who will be
      The veritable loser.

      Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 169 by Sri
      Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0843/81/

      AT LONG LAST

      My long desired Lord, my long desired Lord,
      At long last I have come and sat at your Feet.
      To forget you was my death,
      And now to be with You
      Is to enjoy Eternity's infinite breath.

      Excerpt from A Soulful Cry Versus A Fruitful Smile by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0350/1/469/

      Meditation is the only medicine
      That cures
      Our God-forgetfulness-ailment.

      Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 19 by Sri
      Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1359/675/

      I am determined
      To stop living
      Inside the forest
      Of my God-forgetfulness-mind.

      Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 1 by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1204/264/

      Humanity's Promise

      Humanity's promise to humanity is a life of service. Humanity's
      promise to divinity is a life of oneness. Humanity's promise to God is
      a life of perfection. But this perfection is preceded and followed by
      service and oneness. Oneness has to be found in perfection and service
      has to be found in oneness. So we can safely say that humanity's
      promise to God is a life of service, oneness and perfection.

      Service is Eternity's meaningful achievement. Oneness is Infinity's
      soulful achievement. Perfection is Immortality's fruitful achievement.
      Service is the transformation of the human within us. Oneness is the
      realisation of the divine within us. Perfection is the satisfaction of
      the Supreme within us.

      God says to the body, "Body, promise Me that you will not always
      sleep." The body says to God, "Father, I promise You that I shall
      listen to You. Now, do accept a promise of my own. My promise to You
      is that I shall try to be always wakeful, alert and vigilant."

      God says to the vital, "Vital, promise Me that you will no longer be
      aggressive." The vital says to God, "Father, I shall abide by Your
      Command. In addition, I wish to offer You a promise of my own. From
      now on I shall be divinely dynamic always."

      God says to the mind, "Mind, promise Me that you will no longer
      cherish your friendship with doubt. Doubt can no longer be your
      friend." The mind says to God, "Father, I shall definitely listen to
      You. I also have a promise of my own, and that promise is that I shall
      make friends only with faith. I will have faith only as my friend. I
      shall live with faith and I shall fulfil my existence on earth only in
      faith, for faith-soulful, fruitful, all-offering, all-embracing faith."

      God says to the heart, "Heart, promise Me that from now on you will
      not feel insecure under any circumstances." The heart says to God,
      "Father, I give You my word of honour that I shall not in any way feel
      insecure. I shall listen to Your Command. Now, my promise to You is
      that I shall establish my oneness-existence with each human being in
      Your entire creation. I shall feel and cherish my oneness with all
      throughout the length and breadth of the world.

      The divine in us promises; the human in us forgets. Again, the Supreme
      in us revives all our countless promises and fulfils them. Our promise
      and our aspiration-the inner cry, the mounting flame-are two intimate
      friends. Promise says to aspiration: "Friend, I do know what to do. I
      have to establish a life of divinity here on earth. Then there will be
      no ignorance, no darkness, no limitations, no bondage. I know that
      this is what I have to accomplish." Aspiration says to promise:
      "Friend, let me tell you how you can do it. You can do it only on the
      strength of your self-giving. Give what you have, give what you are at
      every moment. Then only your goal will not remain a far cry. What do
      you have? A soulful cry. This is what you can give to mankind. And
      what are you? You are God's eternal Dream, the Dream that every moment
      is in the process of blossoming."

      Humanity's promise is a movement forward, upward and inward.
      Humanity's forward movement leads us to the universal Reality and
      helps us claim the entire creation of God as our very own. Humanity's
      upward movement carries us to the transcendental Height and helps us
      claim the transcendental Reality as our very own. Humanity's inward
      movement leads us to God Himself: God the Dream, God the Reality, God
      the Silence, God the Sound, God the Omniscient, Omnipotent and
      Omnipresent. It is within our aspiration's abode that God's Presence
      looms large.

      Our forward movement is for the recognition of the universal Reality.
      Our upward movement is for the recognition of the transcendental
      Reality. Our inward movement is for the recognition of the eternally
      Real in us: God the Supreme. Humanity has a promise. This promise is
      self-discovery. Self-discovery comes from self-mastery, and again,
      self-mastery comes from self-discovery. When we dive deep within we
      discover our reality-existence, and when we spread our vision-light
      around us we achieve self-mastery. The most effective way to attain
      self-mastery is to spread our heart's light, which is the Vision of
      the Supreme within us. If we spread our vision-light, then the
      darkness around us surrenders and becomes transformed.

      Humanity itself is a promise: a promise of God to Himself, for each
      individual is a portion of God's Reality-Existence and God's
      Vision-Existence. Each individual is a representative of God's
      ultimate Height on earth. In and through each individual God fulfils
      something unique in Himself. God's promise to Himself is His
      Aspiration, His Realisation, His Revelation and His Manifestation in
      and through each individual being.

      Each individual has already made an inner promise to humanity. Again,
      humanity also has made an inner promise to each individual. Each
      individual, when he prays and meditates and enters into his highest
      transcendental Height, looks around and sees countless beings around
      him. At that time he feels it is his bounden duty to carry all and
      sundry-all human beings, all his brothers and sisters-to the highest
      Height. This is his promise.

      And humanity, as a collective soul, promises to each individual that
      it will offer him the universal Light and Delight. Mere height is not
      all. The vision and reality have to embrace the entire creation.
      Length and breadth as well as height are equally needed. The
      individual will carry the collective soul to the height and humanity,
      the collective soul, will carry the individual to the universal
      Reality within all of us.

      We have to know whether we shall always remain with mere promise or
      whether we shall go one step ahead. That step is commitment. There is
      a great difference between promise and commitment. Promise can be a
      mere word, a meaningless, fruitless and lifeless gift. But when it is
      commitment, the soul's commitment to mankind, inside the commitment
      itself the illumining reality and the fulfilling reality abide.

      The promises that we have made to God, to mankind, to ourselves must
      be transformed into conscious, constant and unconditional commitments.
      It is inside the heart of commitment that all the promises of the
      past, present and future can blossom into fulfilling reality.
      Humanity's promise to God: "Take me." God's promise to humanity: "I am
      accepting you."

      Each soul offers a solemn promise to mankind when it enters into the
      earth-arena. Ordinary souls and special souls both make promises. In
      the case of ordinary souls, because of countless weaknesses and the
      teeming ignorance all around, it is difficult for them to fulfil their
      promises. But great souls quite often fulfil their promises because
      they have an indomitable will. Souls of the superlative degree, who
      are constantly one with the Will of the Supreme who are absolutely
      direct representatives of the Supreme, come into the world with the
      loftiest promise. Now, unlike ordinary souls or even great souls, they
      deal with the entire humanity. Their promise is most sublime and, at
      the same time, most difficult to execute. But they are not
      earth-bound. They are Heaven-free. They live on earth for a few
      years-thirty, forty, fifty, eighty-and then go back to their heavenly
      abode.

      Three souls of the highest calibre, the highest magnitude the highest
      order have come into the world. Sri Krishna came into the world to
      establish the divine code of life: righteousness must reign supreme;
      wickedness must give way to righteousness and a life of light. But his
      promise has not yet been fulfilled. There are still wicked people on
      earth wickedness still looms large and reigns supreme, But he has not
      given up his promise. In and through you and me and each individual he
      is trying to conquer humanity's wickedness and replace it with the
      divine code of life, which is justice-light all around.

      The Buddha came and promised to make the world at large a world
      without suffering. There will not remain an iota of suffering here on
      earth, he said. He tried his best, but the world is still suffering
      like anything. Yet he has not given up his promise. His promise is now
      being executed in and through us, in and through each individual
      seeker here on earth. Each seeker wants to free himself and also the
      entire world from suffering. So the loftiest promise of the Buddha is
      now being executed in and through each individual seeker on earth.

      The third soul of the highest magnitude is the Christ, the Son, the
      Saviour. His promise to mankind was the establishment of the Kingdom
      of Heaven. We all know what the Kingdom of Heaven will look like.
      There will be no ignorance, no darkness, no bondage, no limitation,
      but only boundless light, boundless delight, boundless harmony,
      boundless peace. All divine qualities in boundless measure will
      comprise the Kingdom of Heaven. Right now, when we look around we see
      anything but the Kingdom of Heaven. Does it mean that the Christ has
      given up his promise to mankind? No, not in the least. His promise is
      now percolating, his promise is now flowing like a river in and
      through each individual seeker on earth. The Kingdom of Heaven must
      come into existence-either today or tomorrow or in the near future or
      in the distant future. The promise of the Saviour Christ will
      definitely be fulfilled in the course of human evolution. No
      God-Promise can remain unfulfilled. The promise that God made to
      mankind through Sri Krishna, the promise that God made to mankind
      through the Buddha, the promise that God made to mankind through the
      Christ, the promises that God isoffering to mankind through you,
      through me, through each individual seeker, will all be fulfilled.

      Dag Hammarskjold Library Auditorium
      Excerpt from Reality-Dream by Sri Chinmoy.
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0297/3/5/

      Kamalakanta