48 Hours in New York

  • tejvan13
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2008
      I left the UK, with economics spinning round my head. - falling stock
      markets, credit default swaps, impending recession. For an economist,
      it's about as exciting as it gets. But, I was yearning for a break.
      Not just a vacation and change of scene, but a change of consciousness.

      The weekend was, of course, for the most significant anniversary of
      Guru's mahasamadhi 1 fateful year ago. I struggle to remember 2 days
      ago, let alone 12 months ago; but particularly this October, I could
      only focus on the present moment - the timeless nature of the ongoing
      prayerful meditation. It didn't feel like a remembrance, it didn't
      feel like a sorrowful yearning for what was once. It just felt good to
      be there and appreciate the consciousness that will always be palpable
      with Guru's most sacred meeting place.

      I was in New York only 2 days, but, it could have been 2 years or 2
      minutes, time didn't seem to follow natural patterns. The programme
      was of utmost simplicity and soulfulness; 24 hours a day of meditative
      reflection. Sometimes, there was silence, sometimes we heard tapes of
      Guru singing, chanting or playing instruments; at other times we were
      treated to the wonderful diversity of our centre music groups. There
      was also the opportunity to soulfully approach the final resting place
      of Guru's Samadhi, which felt like the pinnacle of our inner and outer pilgrimage.

      Our Aspiration Ground was perfectly decorated; a profusion of flowers,
      candles, incense and plants creating a sense of a heavenly hideaway in
      the most unlikely of settings. It felt like we had meditation on tap;
      one could meditate for as much as you wanted - whenever the
      inspiration came. It was, also, a time to meet up with old friends; a
      perfect combination of the outer friendship and inner silence.

      Amidst the heavenly music and surroundings, the old mindset of
      ruminating over financial crisis seemed like another world. I made no
      effort to switch my thoughts. The soulfulness of the weekend brought
      the consciousness of the heart to the fore. It was a joy to meditate,
      with an unusual effortlessness. It was a joy to hear the recordings of
      Sri Chinmoy, as if he was playing them himself. It was a joy to have
      the opportunity to pay our prayerful obeisance's to Guru's Samadhi -
      which truly embodies his living presence. It was a joy to be with
      friends who appreciated and shared the grace of such a memorable weekend.

      One could try in an infinitude of ways to describe the ethereal beauty
      and soul inspiring consciousness of the anniversary without ever doing
      justice to the experience. I often felt how appropriate that this
      months edition of Inspiration Letter is to be on silence. Silence,
      real inner silence, was a powerful aspect of the atmosphere. A silence
      which sprang from the soulful music, chants, singing and collective
      aspiration to invoke the presence of our Beloved Guru.

      These days 48 hours can wipe trillions off and on stock market values,
      but, I also learnt that in 48 hours one can experience an immeasurable
      inner wealth.

      ~

      Tejvan
    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2008
        Tejvan,
        Your description of our glorious weekend in NY was eloquent and
        perfect.

        There was no sorrow, only boundless joy and sweetness which I am
        still carrying in my heart most powerfully. Every moment was
        beautiful. At night it was like a twinkling fairyland.
        Meditating on Guru's giant transcendental picture was indescribable.

        Thank you for your thoughtful remembrances of the weekend.

        And a huge thank you to all of the local disciples who worked so
        hard to pull this altogether for us and make it a truly blissful and
        unforgettable weekend for those of us from away.

        Purnakama

        PS and an especially big thank you to the chai servers who just
        seemed to keep it flowing:)