Re: Tribute to Dharmaja

  • shivaramgi
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
      -
      I am very sad to hear dear Dharmaja's passing away. Unfortunately I
      was not aware either that he was sick or that he was in New York. It
      would have been a bit more easy if I had visited him.
      Just two days ago I thought of him and wondered why I did not see him
      in New York.

      Once I stayed with him for a night in his apartment in San Francisco.
      I remember him as a jovial joking brother who also played his guitar
      sitting on the pavement on the way to the Goosepond Park near
      Aspiration Grounds.

      Once in the old all blue-bench Progress Promise Guru asked all who felt an affinity with the Mahabharata story and characters and tell
      something. Dharmaja said because of my name I feel an affinity with
      Dharma Putra (the eldest Pandava brother)

      As those acquainted with Mahabharata know this eldest Pandava's
      devotion to absolute truth was so high, his chariot stayed a few
      inches above the ground until he made an utterance which had a grain
      of untruth.

      It is inspiring to recall that Dharmaja felt an affinity with such a
      high soul. I offer my deepest prayers for his release from all bondage
      and words of comfort to his close relatives. - shivaram, Toronto, Canada
    • pranam13
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
        It was in August 1994 when I first came to New York.
        Being all new and coming from Switzerland it was quite
        a change to be in the big city and with many new people.

        On the sportsday I saw one man sitting on the ground with
        a guitar and some other boys around him just singing along.
        He invited me to join and I did. I definitely got a lot of
        inspiration by him for Sri Chinmoy's Songs and also to
        start playing the guitar myself. The atmosphere was so
        peaceful and relaxed. He definitely looked full of light.

        So for many years after that he invited me to be part of
        his music/singing group to perform and I liked him very
        very much.

        In Oneness

        Pranam
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2008
          I remember being in an international singing group that he was
          inspired to lead and being in Goose Pond Park learning songs from him
          surrounded by disciples from many countries. It was a joy to learn Sri
          Chinmoy's songs with him as a teacher/conductor.

          One of my favorite of his posts (message 14577) is excerpted below
          from a long thread on parents. In it he tells the story of his parents
          coming to a concert by Sri Chinmoy.

          *********************************
          Dharmaja writes:

          "Thank you for inquiring about my parents. I thought I posted
          the story, sorry about that.

          The saga of inspiring and motivating my folks to attend Sri
          Chinmoy's concert in San Francisco turned out to be quite a
          challenge, but ultimately it worked out.

          I drove down to San Jose from San Francisco to pick them up
          on the afternoon of the event, drove back to SF, then checked
          them into the Ramada hotel (which was right near the venue).
          Then we attended the concert; Sujantra the miracle worker
          somehow got us seats right up front!

          My mom was quite enthusiastic about the whole affair. Dad,
          on the other hand, was more reserved. Because mom has lost
          part of her sight, she needed me to give a running commentary
          on what was happening on stage throughout the event...as best
          as I could, I tried to do this discreetly, so others around
          us would not be disturbed.

          At the end of the concert, Sri Chinmoy performed on the
          synthesizer, and that particular segment started off *very*
          loud, and mom was initially a bit alarmed, but then she got
          into it.

          The next morning, there was a Sri Chinmoy Centre function at
          the same hotel where my parents were staying, in the main
          meeting room. For those who are not familiar, in many cases
          Sri Chinmoy offers meditation sessions which are open to the
          general public, but in this case it was a "students only"
          meeting. Therefore, my parents had to wait for me out in the
          lobby area of the hotel, and it appeared that they would not
          get an opportunity to see Sri Chinmoy on that day.

          I was praying and praying that, somehow-somehow-somehow, my
          parents would get to see him. There didn't seem to be any
          outer mechanism by which that could happen.

          But my prayer was answered . . . big time and hugely.

          Around 11:30am, for some *inexplicable* reason, Sri Chinmoy
          decided to take a break. He walked out of the meeting room,
          into the hotel lobby, went directly over to where my parents
          were sitting, and greeted them. He had them stand next to
          him, and he had Durdam take what I will refer to as a
          blessing-photograph.

          I have posted the photo here:
          http://www.geocities.com/dharmaja/inspiration35.html

          Under the photo, there is a caption in which I have said that
          my mom is 80. Well, I was close, she is actually
          80-something, I think 83 or 84, somewhere around there. I
          sent the picture to mom and dad...when mom saw it, even
          though her sight is not so good, she was absolutely smiling
          ear to ear.

          I would like the world to know that I believe that my
          spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy is a God-realised master, and
          he knows what's up.

          Dharmaja
          San Diego, California"

          [Thank you so much, Dharmaja, for sharing this story,
          and that beutiful picture!]

          I am glad Arpan is gathering together these tributes. If you want
          Arpan, I also saved some screen shots turned into image files of
          candles lit for him at gratefulness.org.

          Sharani
        • suchana27
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2008
            ¨Hola!¨ said Dharmaja to me when he was walking across the street
            where the international ceremony for the World Harmony Run was going
            to be hold in Manhattan in August 2006.
            I was sitting near a small water fall trying to get some relaxing
            time after the long flight that had brought me back to my spiritual
            home that very morning. I was physically so tired that I could not
            greet him as cheerfully deep as he did.

            At this time of writing some of his sympathetic words in Spanish -
            ¨muy bien¨, ¨Maestro espiritual¨, ¨poquito¨- are coming to me from
            the days I used to see him singing near Annam Brahma and participated
            in his international choir. What a lovely experience of oneness it
            was! As a conductor, Dharmaja had the nice capacity to deal
            compassionately with excellent humour and high quality.

            In August 2005, on my last day before going back to South America, I
            happened to wait for Guru´s blessings in the street opposite
            Aspiration-Ground. All of a sudden Dharmaja came closer and said,
            ¨Please, take this computer. A group of your brothers is giving this
            to you so you can work easily on Guru´s books and everything.¨
            As soon as he left the place, Guru passed by in his car offering his
            divine blessings to everyone, including the computer!
            The blue luggage and its content is here with me and I am able to
            offer my humble tribute to Dharmaja´s oneness-heart.

            After that, I phoned him twice or three times to get some
            explanations on such difficult technology! He sent me incredible
            guidelines -it was magic because he used to tell me ¨Suchana, give me
            extra time,I am trying to remember how that computer works, it will
            be simple¨- which allowed me to start working faster with Guru´s
            translations and my friends all over the world.

            When I don´t use the mouse for 13 minutes or so, a beautiful Concert
            of Guru in Macedonia appears in a slideshow. There are a few more of
            extraordinary landscapes, Guru´s photos at different times of his
            life on earth, some essays mixing Guru´s pictures and nature,
            goddesses, Pavitrata´s & Kedar´s photos, dolphins, butterflies, the
            Golden Gate bridge, mountains, oceans and lakes. The whole material
            is so inspiring and refreshing!

            Arpan, I´ll send them to you once I get some extra time to save them
            on a CD. You may like sharing these pictures with his parents.

            The blue luggage has got several blue ribbons. ¨Don´t take them
            away¨, Dharmaja recommended me, ¨you can identify your luggage at the
            airport¨. But the blue luggage travelled by my side; how could I be
            separated of such a treasure?

            May Guru´s blue birds of Love-Light and Concern accompany his journey
            to the Source! Supreme Shanti

            Gratitude,
            Suchana
          • cott_doris
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2008
              I have been reading tributes to Dharmaja only today, not because I am
              indifferent. I just couldn't read them. I am very glad others have
              done so. The only thing I could do after hearing of his death was to
              write his name on a piece of paper, illustrate it, leave it on my
              shrine and sing the song Sri Chinmoy had composed and requested us to
              sing for a fellow student or friend or dear one who dies to help the
              soul reach the heavenly abode.

              I still find myself sitting in front of an almost empty page and
              cannot write anything. I am just sitting here and playing with a gum
              and thinking of him. Why do things happen the way they did? Why do
              some people have to suffer for such a long time only to go? I have had
              so much hope for him to recover. The reports about his health
              improvement that I received from Sarah were not absolutely positive
              but they were promising.

              The only incident that comes to my mind easily is his so very humorous
              post about the exploding tomatoes, a story I will never forget. I
              remember how heartily I laughed and can still clearly visualize what
              happened then...But today I cannot laugh or I don't want to. I am
              reminded of a picture that I saw a few months ago on Arpan's iPod
              showing Dharmaja's soulful face lying in a hospital bed.

              I thought I knew him only from the Inspiration Site but reading
              other's tributes mentioning him playing his guitar near Annam Brahma
              restaurant or at other places I am quite sure I too did see him
              sitting at Goose Pond Park playing Sri Chinmoy's music and
              entertaining others.

              Perhaps I should not be too sad, perhaps it is true what someone said
              that he is possibly laughing together with his master in heaven at the
              joke of death.

              So I may conclude with a few words I left for him on gratefulness.org
              where many people lit a candle for him after hearing of his passing away:

              Dear Dharmaja, please come back soon, we need your presence here on earth.