Re: Tribute to Dharmaja

  • tejvan13
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10 8:23 AM
      I only met Dharmaja on only one occasion. It was in the Smile of the Beyond, where a tall, thin chap cheerfully introduced himself, making light of our shared body type (Ectomorph or something like that). I remember his kindness, concern and great sense of humour. He seemed genuinely interested in other people and had a demeanour of self-giving.

      Long standing members of the Inspiration group, may remember some of Dharmaja's humourous and entertaining posts. They were characterised by humility, cheerful wisdom and frequent self-depreciation; they were certainly always welcome.

      This is just a small selection of some of Dharmaja's posts:

      http://srichinmoyinspiration.com/comments/10107 Stress and humor

      http://srichinmoyinspiration.com/comments/3934 - Re: Someone left the cake out.

      http://srichinmoyinspiration.com/forums/7377 - OT Exploding tomatoes, maya tactics and the law of Karma.

      Tejvan

      p.s. Thanks to Arpan for sharing this opportunity to remember Dharmaja.
    • shivaramgi
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10 3:13 PM
        -
        I am very sad to hear dear Dharmaja's passing away. Unfortunately I
        was not aware either that he was sick or that he was in New York. It
        would have been a bit more easy if I had visited him.
        Just two days ago I thought of him and wondered why I did not see him
        in New York.

        Once I stayed with him for a night in his apartment in San Francisco.
        I remember him as a jovial joking brother who also played his guitar
        sitting on the pavement on the way to the Goosepond Park near
        Aspiration Grounds.

        Once in the old all blue-bench Progress Promise Guru asked all who felt an affinity with the Mahabharata story and characters and tell
        something. Dharmaja said because of my name I feel an affinity with
        Dharma Putra (the eldest Pandava brother)

        As those acquainted with Mahabharata know this eldest Pandava's
        devotion to absolute truth was so high, his chariot stayed a few
        inches above the ground until he made an utterance which had a grain
        of untruth.

        It is inspiring to recall that Dharmaja felt an affinity with such a
        high soul. I offer my deepest prayers for his release from all bondage
        and words of comfort to his close relatives. - shivaram, Toronto, Canada
      • pranam13
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11 4:36 AM
          It was in August 1994 when I first came to New York.
          Being all new and coming from Switzerland it was quite
          a change to be in the big city and with many new people.

          On the sportsday I saw one man sitting on the ground with
          a guitar and some other boys around him just singing along.
          He invited me to join and I did. I definitely got a lot of
          inspiration by him for Sri Chinmoy's Songs and also to
          start playing the guitar myself. The atmosphere was so
          peaceful and relaxed. He definitely looked full of light.

          So for many years after that he invited me to be part of
          his music/singing group to perform and I liked him very
          very much.

          In Oneness

          Pranam
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11 7:12 AM
            I remember being in an international singing group that he was
            inspired to lead and being in Goose Pond Park learning songs from him
            surrounded by disciples from many countries. It was a joy to learn Sri
            Chinmoy's songs with him as a teacher/conductor.

            One of my favorite of his posts (message 14577) is excerpted below
            from a long thread on parents. In it he tells the story of his parents
            coming to a concert by Sri Chinmoy.

            *********************************
            Dharmaja writes:

            "Thank you for inquiring about my parents. I thought I posted
            the story, sorry about that.

            The saga of inspiring and motivating my folks to attend Sri
            Chinmoy's concert in San Francisco turned out to be quite a
            challenge, but ultimately it worked out.

            I drove down to San Jose from San Francisco to pick them up
            on the afternoon of the event, drove back to SF, then checked
            them into the Ramada hotel (which was right near the venue).
            Then we attended the concert; Sujantra the miracle worker
            somehow got us seats right up front!

            My mom was quite enthusiastic about the whole affair. Dad,
            on the other hand, was more reserved. Because mom has lost
            part of her sight, she needed me to give a running commentary
            on what was happening on stage throughout the event...as best
            as I could, I tried to do this discreetly, so others around
            us would not be disturbed.

            At the end of the concert, Sri Chinmoy performed on the
            synthesizer, and that particular segment started off *very*
            loud, and mom was initially a bit alarmed, but then she got
            into it.

            The next morning, there was a Sri Chinmoy Centre function at
            the same hotel where my parents were staying, in the main
            meeting room. For those who are not familiar, in many cases
            Sri Chinmoy offers meditation sessions which are open to the
            general public, but in this case it was a "students only"
            meeting. Therefore, my parents had to wait for me out in the
            lobby area of the hotel, and it appeared that they would not
            get an opportunity to see Sri Chinmoy on that day.

            I was praying and praying that, somehow-somehow-somehow, my
            parents would get to see him. There didn't seem to be any
            outer mechanism by which that could happen.

            But my prayer was answered . . . big time and hugely.

            Around 11:30am, for some *inexplicable* reason, Sri Chinmoy
            decided to take a break. He walked out of the meeting room,
            into the hotel lobby, went directly over to where my parents
            were sitting, and greeted them. He had them stand next to
            him, and he had Durdam take what I will refer to as a
            blessing-photograph.

            I have posted the photo here:
            http://www.geocities.com/dharmaja/inspiration35.html

            Under the photo, there is a caption in which I have said that
            my mom is 80. Well, I was close, she is actually
            80-something, I think 83 or 84, somewhere around there. I
            sent the picture to mom and dad...when mom saw it, even
            though her sight is not so good, she was absolutely smiling
            ear to ear.

            I would like the world to know that I believe that my
            spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy is a God-realised master, and
            he knows what's up.

            Dharmaja
            San Diego, California"

            [Thank you so much, Dharmaja, for sharing this story,
            and that beutiful picture!]

            I am glad Arpan is gathering together these tributes. If you want
            Arpan, I also saved some screen shots turned into image files of
            candles lit for him at gratefulness.org.

            Sharani
          • suchana27
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 14 1:28 PM
              ¨Hola!¨ said Dharmaja to me when he was walking across the street
              where the international ceremony for the World Harmony Run was going
              to be hold in Manhattan in August 2006.
              I was sitting near a small water fall trying to get some relaxing
              time after the long flight that had brought me back to my spiritual
              home that very morning. I was physically so tired that I could not
              greet him as cheerfully deep as he did.

              At this time of writing some of his sympathetic words in Spanish -
              ¨muy bien¨, ¨Maestro espiritual¨, ¨poquito¨- are coming to me from
              the days I used to see him singing near Annam Brahma and participated
              in his international choir. What a lovely experience of oneness it
              was! As a conductor, Dharmaja had the nice capacity to deal
              compassionately with excellent humour and high quality.

              In August 2005, on my last day before going back to South America, I
              happened to wait for Guru´s blessings in the street opposite
              Aspiration-Ground. All of a sudden Dharmaja came closer and said,
              ¨Please, take this computer. A group of your brothers is giving this
              to you so you can work easily on Guru´s books and everything.¨
              As soon as he left the place, Guru passed by in his car offering his
              divine blessings to everyone, including the computer!
              The blue luggage and its content is here with me and I am able to
              offer my humble tribute to Dharmaja´s oneness-heart.

              After that, I phoned him twice or three times to get some
              explanations on such difficult technology! He sent me incredible
              guidelines -it was magic because he used to tell me ¨Suchana, give me
              extra time,I am trying to remember how that computer works, it will
              be simple¨- which allowed me to start working faster with Guru´s
              translations and my friends all over the world.

              When I don´t use the mouse for 13 minutes or so, a beautiful Concert
              of Guru in Macedonia appears in a slideshow. There are a few more of
              extraordinary landscapes, Guru´s photos at different times of his
              life on earth, some essays mixing Guru´s pictures and nature,
              goddesses, Pavitrata´s & Kedar´s photos, dolphins, butterflies, the
              Golden Gate bridge, mountains, oceans and lakes. The whole material
              is so inspiring and refreshing!

              Arpan, I´ll send them to you once I get some extra time to save them
              on a CD. You may like sharing these pictures with his parents.

              The blue luggage has got several blue ribbons. ¨Don´t take them
              away¨, Dharmaja recommended me, ¨you can identify your luggage at the
              airport¨. But the blue luggage travelled by my side; how could I be
              separated of such a treasure?

              May Guru´s blue birds of Love-Light and Concern accompany his journey
              to the Source! Supreme Shanti

              Gratitude,
              Suchana
            • cott_doris
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19 2:15 PM
                I have been reading tributes to Dharmaja only today, not because I am
                indifferent. I just couldn't read them. I am very glad others have
                done so. The only thing I could do after hearing of his death was to
                write his name on a piece of paper, illustrate it, leave it on my
                shrine and sing the song Sri Chinmoy had composed and requested us to
                sing for a fellow student or friend or dear one who dies to help the
                soul reach the heavenly abode.

                I still find myself sitting in front of an almost empty page and
                cannot write anything. I am just sitting here and playing with a gum
                and thinking of him. Why do things happen the way they did? Why do
                some people have to suffer for such a long time only to go? I have had
                so much hope for him to recover. The reports about his health
                improvement that I received from Sarah were not absolutely positive
                but they were promising.

                The only incident that comes to my mind easily is his so very humorous
                post about the exploding tomatoes, a story I will never forget. I
                remember how heartily I laughed and can still clearly visualize what
                happened then...But today I cannot laugh or I don't want to. I am
                reminded of a picture that I saw a few months ago on Arpan's iPod
                showing Dharmaja's soulful face lying in a hospital bed.

                I thought I knew him only from the Inspiration Site but reading
                other's tributes mentioning him playing his guitar near Annam Brahma
                restaurant or at other places I am quite sure I too did see him
                sitting at Goose Pond Park playing Sri Chinmoy's music and
                entertaining others.

                Perhaps I should not be too sad, perhaps it is true what someone said
                that he is possibly laughing together with his master in heaven at the
                joke of death.

                So I may conclude with a few words I left for him on gratefulness.org
                where many people lit a candle for him after hearing of his passing away:

                Dear Dharmaja, please come back soon, we need your presence here on earth.