Sri Chinmoy and the Universal Consciousness

  • morrisklein27
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      Question: I work in a cancer hospital where people frequently die.
      Sometimes when people are dying I see a quality or a look on their
      face which is very similar to something that I see in your face. Can
      you tell me why?

      Sri Chinmoy: When I am united with the Universal Consciousness I am
      in everybody. There are many people on earth who are not my
      disciples, but they are sincere seekers. God-realized souls who are
      of the first class will see when sincere seekers pray to God at the
      time of their death, or when their days are numbered. I tell you, if
      they pray to God or Christ or any other Master, if they are really
      sincerely knocking at God's door, they can find shining there
      Buddha's face, Krishna's face, my face, because of our Universal
      Consciousness.

      When Sri Chinmoy uses the phrase "Universal Consciousness", what does
      he actually mean by that term? Can anyone in the group possibly
      clarify this concept for me?

      Thanks!

      Morris
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
        Dear Morris, you are asking the lightfly to explain the sun! Sri
        Chinmoy talks about two different aspects of God, the Universal and
        the Transcendental. In His Universal aspect, God embodies the whole
        universe. He is everything and, of course, inside everyhing. This is
        His aspect with form, infinite forms. In His Transcendental aspect, he
        is beyond the universe, beyond the pairs of opposites, Formless. But I
        feel like a parrot which, having realised nothing, has learned how to
        say "Aaargh, God is this, God is that...", so I looked up "universal
        consciousness" in the search engine of the Sri Chinmoy Library, and
        wanted to share with you two quotes (out of 277) that shed light on
        the subject.

        Quote #1

        Question: Could you comment on the transcendence from the personal
        consciousness to the universal Consciousness, and the death of the
        human personality?

        Sri Chinmoy: Let us start with the death of the human personality.
        There is no such thing as death. In the spiritual life death means
        limitation, nothing else. We have not embodied the message of
        Immortality in our life. That is why we still go through birth and
        death. When a tiny drop enters into the ocean, we feel that it is the
        death of the tiny drop. The ocean is so vast that when a tiny drop
        falls in, it is lost. This is what we think of with our human mind
        when we think of the limited personal consciousness merging with the
        universal or infinite Consciousness. But if we identify ourselves with
        the drop and, at the same time, with the vast ocean, we see that the
        personality of the drop is not lost but is enlarged into the vast
        Infinity of the ocean. At that time this tiny drop not only claims the
        ocean as its very own, but knows and feels that it has become the
        vastness of the ocean itself. This is the so-called death of the human
        personality. With our ordinary human eyes we may see it as death; but
        with our heart's eye, with our soul's eye, with our capacity of inner
        oneness, we see the transformation of the tiny drop into the infinite
        ocean.

        The human consciousness is also a part of the universal Consciousness.
        This little finger is a part of my body, but its capacity is extremely
        limited. I think of my body as a whole more than I think of the little
        finger. I am walking, I am talking, I am singing, I am doing
        everything with the body. At that time I don't think of my little
        finger. Perhaps once a month or once in six months I think of my
        little finger in particular. But every day I think of my body, right
        from the morning. When I think of the body, automatically the little
        finger is nourished with the necessary amount of concern just because
        it is one with the body as a whole. It does not separate its existence
        and its consciousness from the rest of the body. When the body is
        nourished, the little finger maintains its strength or gains strength.
        It cannot be isolated; it cannot be cut off. If the finger is cut off,
        the whole body will suffer from the pain. The body will be imperfect.
        The body takes care of the little finger automatically, because of
        their inseparable oneness. In the spiritual life we should keep the
        universal Consciousness before our eyes no matter what we are doing;
        whether we are eating or singing or working in the office. If we think
        of God, that means that we are knocking at the door of the universal
        Consciousness. If we think of the universal Consciousness as the whole
        body and the human consciousness as a tiny finger, then we see that
        this human consciousness is taken care of automatically. The more we
        become one with the universal Consciousness, the sooner the human
        consciousness is fed and is ready for its transcendence and
        transformation.

        Sri Chinmoy

        Quote #2

        Divine Love

        Divine love is the expansion of our consciousness. The very nature of
        divine love is to expand, expand, expand and become one with all that
        it touches. The more we expand ourselves, the sooner we feel the
        Universal Consciousness as our very own. And when we feel the
        Universal Consciousness as our very own, at that time we become the
        Universal Self.

        It is through love that we can expand our consciousness faster than
        any other way. So if we really want to expand ourselves, then
        consciously we have to make an effort to love the world. When we love
        the world, we have to know that God and humanity cannot be separated.
        No spiritual person will dare to say that he loves God but not
        humanity. If anyone says, "I love only God and not humanity," then
        rest assured that he is not really a spiritual person. A spiritual
        person loves humanity precisely because God is inside humanity. God
        was one; then He decided to play the Game of infinite forms and shapes
        in and through us. He is the root and humanity represents the branches
        and leaves. The root cannot be separated from the rest of the tree.
        Creator and creation go together.

        Again, we have to do first things first. The owner of the world, the
        Creator of the world is God. If we love God first, then automatically
        we are loving humanity. If we love God, then God will give us the
        capacity to please His creation, which is humanity. If we please the
        Creator in His own way, then automatically His creation will be
        pleased in the inner world. So it is through constant love of God that
        we can love mankind, not the other way around. If we want to go to God
        by loving humanity, there will be all kinds of problems. We will love
        someone, but that person, because of ignorance, will offer tremendous
        resistance. We will want to help someone but he will simply say, "What
        right have you to disturb my sleep?" Somebody near us is fast asleep,
        and we knock at his door and offer love and say "Get up, get up. It is
        high time. He will only say, "I am not going to get up." But if we
        please God first, then we will know the right time to knock at the
        door of the one who is sleeping.

        Our love of God is our oneness with reality. The moment we forget Him
        consciously or unconsciously, at that time we are divided. Even in our
        own physical existence, if the right hand is stronger than the left,
        if we do not feel God inside us-inside our entire body-then we will
        hate the left hand. We will say we want to have nothing to do with the
        left hand, because it is disappointing us. But if we love the God
        within ourselves, the soul, we will love the left hand as much as the
        right.

        In the spiritual life, our friends and relatives are like our arms and
        hands. They are members of our family. If we can enter into the One
        who is all love, then only can we spread love and offer love to the
        world at large. The first thing is to love God and then this love we
        shall carry to mankind. It is from the soul that we have to come to
        the physical, not from the physical to the soul. From within we have
        to come without. The soul has all light. From the soul we shall gather
        light and bring it to the heart. Then from the heart we shall bring it
        to the mind. From the mind we shall bring it to the vital and from the
        vital to the body. Then the song of love will be complete. Here the
        world is our body, just like our physical limbs. So naturally we have
        to start the journey from our soul.

        We are all seekers. It is absolutely true that when we seek, we
        realise. When we seek God, we realise God. But when we seek, even if
        we do it most soulfully, we always try to get something. So God plays
        hide-and-seek with us. He gives us an experience today, then He hides
        tomorrow. He comes, then He goes away again. But there comes a time
        when a seeker transcends this feeling of seeking and becomes a lover,
        a God-lover. Today's God-seeker becomes tomorrow's God-lover. When we
        feel that we have played our role as a seeker, we tell God, "All
        right, I love You. You don't have to give me even a cent. Your
        existence is more than enough for me, even if it is inside my enemy's
        heart." If we can say this to God and establish this kind of feeling
        for God, then we are transformed from seekers into lovers. And when a
        seeker becomes a God-lover, he is well on his way to reaching his
        goal. So let us love God wholeheartedly. Real love means oneness. When
        I am one, I am not the tiny drop but the vast ocean. At that time I
        don't take back my existence as the tiny drop. So to all of you I am
        saying, from now on try to become real God-lovers.-Sri Chinmoy

        So, Morris, at least now you have heard something about it by someone
        who has actually realised the Universal Consciousness! Here is the
        search link for that particular topic (hope it works):

        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/inner-hunger/12/q?itm=inner-hunger&d=&p=&q=universal+consciousness&bL=Search+the+Library&sz=10

        Joy to all!- Kamalakanta

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27