Finish the Race

  • utpalmarshall
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
      Pavol, the tall and gentle young man from Slovakia finished his
      distance today. He did not complete 3100 miles, but he did something
      miraculous nonetheless, in running 2700 miles. This was the distance,
      the race once was, way back in 1996

      http://heartlotus.blogspot.com/2008/08/finish-race.html

      In a race, that is difficult for all, it can be especially tough and
      challenging for first timers like him. Yet he never complained and
      made the best of each and every moment, in his long long day.

      much thanks

      Utpal
    • melinda_geelong
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
        ---
        Dearest Utpal, your dedicated service to the 3100 mile race is nothing short of the
        praiseworthy efforts of all involved in this immortal event. Thank you so much for your
        insightful offerings that bring so much dignity and reality to a race that strips people bare
        for the world to see. Only in such a sacred site with such a sacred mission could these
        runners be safe enough to display their vulnerabilities knowing that they could only be
        appreciated and praised all the more for their superhuman efforts. Your most respectful
        and loving profiles of the runners brings their achievements closer to each of our
        capacities to understand what is really happening on that track in Queens;
        brings each of our runner brothers and sisters closer to our own hearts and closer to what
        Sri Chinmoy himself used to say ' accepting their victory and achievement as our own'.
        Nobody who has visited this sacred 3100 track can deny the immense power of the Grace
        that descends on these divine warriors. As they strive to raise the consciousness of the
        whole of humanity through their self offering, you can also stand amongst them for
        bringing them and their achievements closer to us!
        With Gratitude
        Melinda Geelong

        wish I was there!
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2008
          Melinda perfectly expressed the debt we all owe you for your gift of
          exquisite 3100 race coverage on your blog. I wish to add a big "ditto"
          to what she wrote and take a moment to thank you as well. While I did
          not faithfully fit in time to read each and every post of the 3100
          race this summer, I really appreciated being able to read about the
          finishes.

          Last weekend I was present at Ananda Lahari's finish on Saturday night
          and the sentiment and joy felt in his victory was very special and
          moving. Since we came there straight from a monumentally inspiring Joy
          Day in Woodstock NY, it was kind of funny to look around at other
          people watching him finish who were playing musical chairs a few
          hundred miles away a short time prior to it.

          We were ringing little bells along with clapping and most of the songs
          sung that Guru has composed about the race I heard for the first time.
          There was one with a phrase about something like moonlight bliss
          embrace that I especially liked. Kharasrota shared about baking his
          victory cake and how it managed to fall so a nice ice cream cake
          purchased from the store took its place.

          We had hoped to still be there for Suprabha's finish last Sunday (the
          day after Ananda Lahari's finish) and planned to return home to Rhode
          Island later than usual but when her time was projected at midnight we
          didn't wait. Being able to read about it on your blog lessened our
          disappointment in how close we came to witnessing her race completion.
          http://heartlotus.blogspot.com/2008/08/whole-world-behind-you.html

          We are all very lucky and fortunate to have someone with such talent
          for interviewing and writing and videoing in our midst. You could
          easily give the media professionals a run for their money any day.

          Sharani
        • utpalmarshall
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2008
            Dear Sharani and Melinda

            You both, as well as so many others have made my task so rewarding and
            fulfilling, with your constant praise and encouragement. But, what
            the runners have done here, and have continued to do for so many
            years, makes my own efforts, appear to me as almost inconsequential.
            They work so continually hard on the other hand it appeared to me that
            it would be a disservice to them and to Sri Chinmoy, not to work a
            little harder and dig a little deeper, in order to share their
            experiences.

            There came a point in my summer when it seemed to me that nothing else
            existed other than the 3100 mile race. This is of course was not fair
            to even the 3 different World Harmony Runs going on around the world
            at the same time. It was a case of tunnel vision even if it is a
            divine tunnel that leads to the ultimate source of light itself.

            I do hope as time goes on, there will be others who will take up the
            challenge of reporting on the many and diverse things happening within
            the great and good Sri Chinmoy family. No matter who you are or what
            you do. Whether you call yourself a student or a well wisher. All can
            uniquely express the vision of transcendence he wanted not just from
            his students but from anyone willing to test their limits , and see
            how far they can go in order to lead a truly fulfilling life.

            We all, it seems to me exist, in a challenging new world. We have
            received a unique opportunity, by having the sweet, rare, yet too
            brief opportunity to share a handful of years with a true spiritual
            teacher of the highest height. Now is a profoundly important time to
            examine the gift he gave the world, and in particular, to our own
            lives. How we use it and manifest it is so important. We do not have
            to run thousands of miles in order to self transcend.

            much thanks

            Utpal
          • dmchaudhurani
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2008
              Hello Utpal,
              I have also enjoyed and been greatly inspired by your regular news
              about the 3100 race.

              I'm sure you appreciate that without your efforts, without the
              self-giving and support of all those who work and help at all the
              races none of them could happen. ~ So in my view you are all just as
              important and triumphant as the runners but in a different way.

              You know I love sports day. I am not a particularly good athlete but
              the sense of being able to give my love to Guru and please him just by
              offering my energy, physical strength and willingness, by running or
              throwing - it is something quite wonderful to do.

              I have great admiration for the multi-distance runners and Harmony Run
              teams and wish I had that kind of exceptional strength, fitness and
              opportunity - they remind me of the Buddhist pilgrims who travel for
              months on foot, totally dependent on the support of the communities
              they pass through. Some move entirely by making full length
              prostration, again and again for hundreds of miles. There is a purity
              and simplicity in this kind of physical prayer. It is the essence of
              transcendence.

              You write that 'There came a point in my summer when it seemed to me
              that nothing else existed other than the 3100 mile race.' I think that
              experience must be a form of the concentration Guru is teaching us as
              part of our meditation. It must be a bit like the one pointed
              concentration that the runners themselves develop to transcend all
              their physical pain and exhaustion, bad weather, mental and emotional
              ups and downs and setbacks of every kind transcending everything and
              just keeping on and on, never stopping until the Goal is won.

              I'm sure those working on the '3 different World Harmony Runs going on
              around the world' will have similar focus and concentration. The
              different challenges and achievements are not in competition but
              inspire each other, all as you say so beautifully, divine tunnels that
              lead to the ultimate source of light itself.

              I'm sure there will be countless others in times to come who will take
              up the challenge of reporting on 'the many and diverse things
              happening within the great and good Sri Chinmoy family.' The early
              pioneers like yourself are setting a great example, true inspiration
              and high standard for all the future reporters to follow.

              With Gratitude

              Durga-Mata
            • utpalmarshall
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
                Hello Durga-Mata

                Last night the World Harmony run team got to demonstrate for all, some
                of the spectacular achievements they were able to accomplish this
                year. On 4 continents the torch was carried and shared with thousands
                and thousands. And yes it is still running. It was Sri Chinmoy's
                express wish that it be carried out this year in a way that
                transcended all previous efforts.

                Thank you very much for your kind words. I also would like to take
                this opportunity to thank another tireless supporter Nirmala, who I
                know, has been identifying very deeply with the 3100 mile race this
                year.

                And O yes, I saw a young chap this morning you might know, sitting in
                the Aspiration Ground name Bijon.

                much thanks

                Utpal
              • christopher_australia
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
                  Dear Utpal,

                  I also would like to convey my gratitude to you for your dedication in
                  sharing the microcosm of the 3100 Mile Race with the rest of the
                  world. Your blog was tremendously inspiring to me and many others.

                  in gratitude,

                  Christopher
                  Melbourne