Dae Jang Geum - Inspiring Korean TV miniseries

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2008
      Any other Dae Jang Geum fans out there? I learned of this
      internationally popular Korean TV miniseries from Dharana (San
      Francisco Centre) while in Heidelberg for the German Joy Days. Talk
      about global perspective!

      You can read about it and watch two short YouTube videos giving a
      sense of the show at my blog post:
      http://www.sharani.org/2008/07/12/dae-jang-geum-all-time-great-tv-mini-series/

      Since it is quite long(3 volumes, a total of 18 discs, about 54 hours
      worth of programming), it can be rather pricey to purchase. I started
      watching volume one as an inter-library loan item requested at the
      public library but not too many libraries in the U.S. have it. It does
      not appear to be available at most American DVD rental stores or
      online services such as Netflix/Blockbuster.

      If you want to see it and don't know anyone who owns it, you can watch
      it streaming over the computer at
      http://aznv.tv/ - a source for streaming Asian TV shows that requires
      you to create a free account to pull up and watch Dae Jang Geum. Their
      shows stream only on a Windows PC using the Windows free media player
      called Winamp:
      http://www.winamp.com/player
      I tried watching an episode that way today and must warn you that this
      player does not allow you to rewind or fast forward so be prepared to
      watch the show all the way through without any pauses or
      interruptions. I got a phone call before the last 4 minutes of the
      show and had to start it playing all over from the beginning after
      confirming it wouldn't fast forward/rewind properly by checking around
      on the Web.

      I hear the show is quite popular with Sri Chinmoy's students -in
      particular with chefs at divine enterprise restaurants such as Annam
      Brahma and Ananda Fuara. In truth it is immensely popular in any of
      the 60 countries where it has been shown.

      It is a fascinating drama featuring Asian culture, palace life, the
      fight of good and evil/corruption, cooking competitions that seem like
      a 1500's versionn of Top Chef, tremendous heroism, etc.

      Sharani
    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2008
        Dear Sharani, I haven't heard about the TV mini series but I am always
        grateful for recommendations and would like to watch them when time
        permits.

        Like you and others I sometimes experience that a song that touched
        me reverberates inside me for quite some time. But wasn't it you who
        said, "Time heals everything?" (I don't know what is wrong with me I
        almost wrote "hills").

        Doris

        P.S. As you mention Heidelberg, I was happy to read you want to come
        again to Heidelberg in October?
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
          Hi Doris,
          Things are not looking promising for a visit to Heidelberg this fall
          after all. I would love to return to Pujaloy sooner rather than later
          but the current economic conditions in America are reducing my travel
          budget.

          I heat my house with oil and this winter the prices are expected to be
          astronomically higher than last year. All my household utilities have
          raised their rates this summer: electricity, natural gas, Cable plus
          the prices for food and gasoline are much higher than before in the
          U.S. The airline industry in the U.S. is also struggling and prices
          for tickets have greatly increased lately as well.

          Maybe I should study Tejvan's economics expertise at his blog
          http://www.economicshelp.org/ to better understand the rough waters
          for our country right now.

          I seem to be part of the current renewed gardening enthusiasm in the
          U.S. as well with my first vegetable garden started in ten years (I
          just made delicious muffins with home-grown shredded yellow summer
          squash in them) and a "staycation" instead of "vacation" mentality.

          I can turn to Tejvan's blogs yet again for gardening tips. I believe
          he is the creator of this site on gardening:
          http://gardenerstips.co.uk/blog/
          although it is more for flowers than vegetables... :-)

          Thank goodness prayer and meditation are free of charge!

          Sharani
          p.s. now that I am in the middle of part 2 of Dae Jang Geum I can add
          that it just keeps getting better and better as it progresses...
        • cott_doris
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hi Sharani, economic conditions are not much better in Switzerland.
            What you wrote sounds all too familiar and becaused you asked, I will
            be soon rather on staycation than on vacation, not sure.

            But as you and others are showing, there are plenty of ways to be
            discovered to become more creative. (I am also thinking of the
            Russian disciples).

            Another example is Tejvan. When he started his blog Gardener Tips I
            realised for the first time how creative he is. I am sure he will
            take it as a compliment that I stopped reading them. It is merely
            because I can't keep up with his speed. I made a link to Poem Of The
            Day" by him on my German blog.

            Here is a list of all his blogs:

            http://www.netwriting.co.uk/my-other-blogs/

            ~ ~ ~

            Doris

            P.S. I have not started watching Dae Jang Geum, good it keeps getting
            better... :-)

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
              Hi Doris,
              I certainly hope to see you in NY on a vacation rather than a
              staycation *sooner* rather than later! Either way, I have not
              forgotten my promise to send you photos by "snail mail."

              The library where I work actually managed to purchase Dae Jang Geum
              for the collection so now I can share it with people much more
              readily. While I know of people who got so into it they stayed up half
              the night day in and day out to see all 54 episodes, I am trying to
              savor it by watching a couple of episodes about once a week. Now half
              way through it, it gets harder to keep that discipline with so much
              intrigue and drama building with suspense.

              Sharani
            • cott_doris
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2008
                Dear Sharani, thanks for your hoping for me..., I was fine with
                staycation. 'I' managed to get a new good paid job and hope to see you
                and other friends in New York in October.

                It wasn't possible to stream the movie therefore I downloaded it but
                it took some time. I will have to improve my internet speed.

                Now I do understand others who are spending half their nights
                watching. I managed to watch sixteen episodes since the day before
                yesterday and very much enjoy them.

                Forgive me I even cut some joke on your saying it was so suspense.
                But it surely is. It also reminds me of the Mahabharata.

                Enjoy watching

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2008
                  Hi Doris,

                  As the series progressed, I found it harder and harder to watch just
                  one or two episodes a week. Suddenly I find myself with only one hour
                  left of this 54 hour magnum opus. It has exceeded all my expectations
                  so quickly created while watching the early episodes of volume 1. I
                  have shed tears, laughed and found great inspiration in the ideals,
                  heroism and morals openly and subtly preached in this series. I'm glad
                  you found a way to watch it and that you too are benefiting from its
                  introduction to your life. It is certainly a cultural experience that
                  goes far beyond simple entertainment, don't you agree?

                  Speaking of staying in Germany, I have quite belatedly just finished
                  making corrections and improvements to a photo slideshow that I put on
                  YouTube with memories from my trip to Heidelberg last May. It is my
                  maiden voyage in using software that came on my MAC called iMovie HD.
                  I had to read and study the entire 70 page manual to try to learn how
                  to use it - especially after my first effort showed some glitches such
                  as black edges on photos or titles across the photo that were rather
                  illegible.

                  I am happy to say that I have made a small step forward and the
                  revised slideshow video can be found in my blog post about Heidelberg
                  on my blog at:
                  http://www.sharani.org/2008/09/07/heidelberg-travel-highlights/

                  I look forward to seeing you in New York in October and
                  congratulations of the highest order in your new job as well.

                  Sharani
                  p.s. I loved reading the computer's rough translation of your blog
                  post about being in the now and studying hands while on the bus.
                  Perhaps you could create an English language version of it to share
                  even more widely?
                • cott_doris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
                    Hi Sharani, last week I finished watching Dae Jang Geum.

                    You said:

                    "It has exceeded all my expectations so quickly created while watching
                    the early episodes of volume 1. I have shed tears, laughed and found
                    great inspiration in the ideals, heroism and morals openly and subtly
                    preached in this series."

                    For me it was similar. Onething I really benefitted from and that
                    changed some of my old views for ever (hopefully) was that sometimes I
                    thought of myself as a trouble maker. But the role Jang Geum (Lee
                    Young Ae) had to play is quite clear. Of course I am far far beyond of
                    comparing with such a sacrificing, beautiful soul that Jang Geum was.
                    I also liked the theme song.

                    Lee Young Ae is a wonderful actress. But many characters in the movie
                    were interesting to watch.