The power of our spiritual family

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2008
      I often feel strange after the last day of school for the year. I
      liken it to finishing marathon, the last week is like that last
      home stretch and you just push that little bit more to see it
      through to the end. Then you are elated, exhausted, happy, depressed
      all at the same time.

      Yesterday was no exception, and because of some political tensions
      at school during the last week, the exhausted and depressed side won
      out.

      I moped around, slept, did a few odd jobs, but I was definitely
      feeling in a low consciousness.I didn't want to meditate, sing,
      read; nothing. I was getting tired of myself when I got an inner
      feeling to call a dear friend in NY and chat. Talking to other
      disciples usually helps.

      We had a really nice chat and we tried to support each other as she
      wasn't feeling great that day either. We talked for quite a long
      time and the more we talked the more inspiring the conversation
      became.

      When we got off the phone something had completely changed in me.I
      felt that I had just been filled with light, light, and more light.
      I sat at my shrine and I had the best meditation I'd had since
      Father's day.
      Then when I woke up this morning I felt filled once again with this
      light, like some heavy burden I'd been carrying had been lifted.

      It felt like Guru was sending light from NY directly through the
      phone line using my friend as an instrument.

      This experience was just another powerful reminder about the
      importance of our spiritual family. With Guru working through us we
      have the ability to lift each other up.

      Gratitude to Guru who has given us such a wonderful spiritual family.

      Purnakama
    • dmchaudhurani
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        Purnakama - That's the effect reading this Inspiration Site has on me
        and why I often look at it when I reach home - even if I'm very tired
        and its late night. Guru works in and through each disciple so we
        really do inspire each other!

        I don't finish the term for another three weeks but mentally and
        emotionally, now that the reports are finished, I am in the
        end-of-term space. Since I will be leaving I'm trying to cover
        subjects which are important even if they weren't scheduled - and
        trying to 'touch' my students inwardly in a way which will inspire
        them and leave them with some light.

        Sometimes I really feel that there has been a 'connection' and
        sometimes it happens in an unexpected way, coming from a student and
        not through anything I have tried to do. There were a few incidents
        like that recently. Last Thursday, Jordan,a year 10 boy (age about
        15)- who is usually disruptive and uncooperative and hardly does any
        work, asked me during the lesson, when everyone was getting on with an
        exercise, if I would mind answering a question. It was clearly
        something personal so I went over.

        He said that he'd been having a lot of problems so a friend of his
        mother's, who practices meditation, had taught him some exercises to
        empty his mind of thoughts. He was having some success with this but
        he had started to hear all kinds of noises and voices coming into his
        mind and sometimes quite audible although not with his ordinary ears.
        They were scaring him and he didn't know whether to continue trying
        the meditation exercises.

        I said that he really needed a path and a teacher. I mentioned the
        importance of having a divine focus for your mind and your aspiration,
        to be aiming for something divine in meditation, not just open to
        anything. I explained the the importance of purity (physical
        cleanliness to start with, a special, pure place to sit for
        meditation, with flowers and images that inspire you to feel close to
        God or spiritual truth.) I suggested that if he had no connection with
        a religious tradition he could try photographs of the sea and the sky
        because their vastness and beauty symbolises God. I'm going to lend
        him Wings of Joy and exchange emails when I leave.

        On Friday I was annoyed when Ben, a year 9 boy, had no pen and then
        broke the one I lent him. I threw the pieces in the bin and gave him a
        detention. There were four people in detention. My detentions are not
        very long but they are quite strict and formal. Students have to sit
        straight, arms folded, feet flat on the floor, not looking around or
        fidgeting. Two or three minutes is usually enough to get the point
        across. Three of them complied but Ben just slouched in the chair and
        refused to follow my instructions so when the others had gone it was
        just Ben and myself. I asked him what was the matter, why he was in
        such a bad mood. He said it was me. Why was I so rude. I didn't need
        to shout and snatch the pen like that and throw it in the bin. If I
        was more polite perhaps he would be more inclined to follow my stupid
        rules.

        I apologised and said I was just sick of the way so many students come
        without pens and then if they borrow our stock they either fail to
        return them - or even break them, as he had done. The school 'rule' is
        that we ask for student's 'planners' in exchange for lending pens, and
        then exchange them back at the end of the lesson - and I know that
        works for many teachers - but a lot of my students - Ben included -
        say they have no planner and I end up loosing pens. We've gone through
        several boxes of pens this term.

        By this time we were just talking like friends about the frustrations
        of life and Ben told me that he was on bail at the moment and likely
        to go into custody for burglary. So nothing like a pen really mattered
        much to him at the moment. He couldn't concentrate on the work anyway.

        We had a deep conversation about life and how when things aren't right
        in the inner worlds things go wrong outwardly. I asked him to think
        about what made him get into this mess. Think of a time some years ago
        when he was just a happy kid without any cares. What had happened
        since then, to send his life in this unfortunate direction. He said he
        guessed it was boredom and wanting to have friends and have a laugh in
        the evenings. Going around with that crowd was fun. But what seemed
        like a bit of a laugh to them was actually seen very differently by
        the owner of the house they had gone in. He'd never thought of it as
        burglary.

        I said I think that life is for progress and we all make mistakes. He
        needs to accept the consequences as they unfold, because it was a
        mistake. But what matters most is that he's learning, becoming more
        aware and growing inwardly wiser from the experience. I urged him to
        try using prayer to ask what his life is for, why he has been given
        this life, and for the strength to come through this experience as a
        stronger wiser and better person, able to fulfill 'God's Purpose'.
        It's all part of growing from a thoughtless, aimless kid into a good
        man. And if life is from God then it is about deepening our
        relationship with God, growing in awareness of his Presence and
        Guidance in our lives and following that way. If he tries that he will
        find that even if it is not such 'fun' as going with the crowd it is
        much more satisfying. And to start that conscious search now, at such
        a young age, will be a real blessing. A lot of people spend half their
        life unconscious and make all kinds of serious mistakes before they
        start thinking and waking up to questions like these.

        Both these students have given me plenty of trouble over the year -
        but they are both young men I will remember with special fondness and
        concern.
      • suchana27
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2008
          Durga Mata, your answer to Purnakama came just after a nice
          experience I had the day before when I got to my class at high school.

          It happens to be an extremely noisy group of teenagers. I was so
          tired that afternoon that I was not expected to be very patient with
          them. But things changed for the better all of a sudden when I looked
          at the blackboard and read in Spanish -¨world peace will be achieved
          when the power of love replaces the love of power¨ along with the
          peace logo below.

          I couldn´t believe my own eyes! ¨Guru´s poem is here!¨ I said to
          myself. And I took my time to read it again and again.

          As soon as I could get out of my surprise, I asked them -¨who has
          written this beautiful aphorism?¨ As nobody answered affirmatively,
          one of the boys said that ¨it has been written by the morning
          students, we haven´t done it.¨ That was the great and good chance to
          discuss about the deep meaning of these sacred words and see together
          the benefits of putting them into practice.

          When the formal lesson started, most of them remained quiet and more
          receptive to deal with others in ´a normal way´ and do their
          exercises.

          You say that many things happen in an unexpected way, that there is
          always a kind of ¨connection and God´s Purpose¨ and I fully agree
          with you.
          It was probably another student who gave his or her own
          interpretation to this poem created by Guru many years ago.
          He might have read it in http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0015
          thanks to the vast power of our spiritual family

          In oneness-joy,
          Suchana
        • cott_doris
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
            Dear Suchana, your post gave me so much joy. What an experience! I am
            sure I would have been surprised as you were. May I add my little
            experience I had some days ago?

            After (still) painting walls and doors of our new Centre every day
            which is actually a house I got into the bus late in the evening and
            started reading a book by Sri Chinmoy. It's title is O My Mind.

            It is all about the Supreme talking to the mind. I was wondering why
            I had chosen this book when a voice from behind asked
            quietly, "Excuse me?" I heard it but didn't react. The voice asked
            again, "Excuse me." I turned around and an African man said, "I am
            sorry I just read a few lines of the poems you are reading and I like
            them. He asked, "Where can I buy this book?" I replied that I doubted
            he can buy it because it was published in 1988 in New York. But I was
            able to write the address of Sri Chinmoy's website in his cell-phone.
            I told him that one thousand and some hundreds of Sri Chinmoy's books
            are available on his website (what I am impressed about myself!!) and
            that they would be expressing the same message in essence.

            When I got off I handed him the book and he accepted it happily and
            thanked me.

            I am grateful to God that he uses me in some small but hopefully
            important way - in this case to give a book by Sri Chinmoy to the man
            who was so happy to receive it.

            Doris :-)
          • dmchaudhurani
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
              What a wonderful experience. I have never had such a surprise. But I
              do have posters of Guru on my classroom walls. they are 'hidden'
              because there are so many pictures and posters etc. No-one has yet
              asked about them except to comment on the fact that the biggest one is
              from a German Concert so they thought it should be in the Languages
              department. I explained that there are no lines between subjects in
              the real world. We only put them there in school because teachers
              can't know everything - but all the subjects link up and overlap.

              So many times a day I look at Guru on the wall and he lifts me and
              makes me smile. He is my secret Friend.

              In London Centre there is a series of classes at the moment and I have
              one poster from these classes by the door in the entrance lobby to the
              'hut' where my classroom is. I see it every time I come in and leave.
              The poster is mainly green which is a calm colour - and Guru is meditating with closed eyes. It's such a peaceful and at
              the same time powerful image. I feel so privileged to be able to see
              it so many times a day - as part of my work. I really feel my
              classroom is a Divine Enterprise.

              We are so fortunate, so blessed as teachers to be able to share
              something of Guru's Light with our students. Thanks again for your
              message. I hope to see you in August.

              All the best

              Durga-Mata
            • suchana27
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
                Yours is a most inspiring and direct experience, dear Doris!
                It also gives me so much joy because unexpected experiences are
                always full of the Supreme's unconditional Love and Joy for His
                children. We are so fortunate! :)

                While reading your nice message the question of human receptivity to
                a higher Light and a better understanding arises. So as I have a
                little extra time this weekend, I am searching on Guru's library and
                find over 500 entries for the item called 'receptivity'.
                Maybe our unknown seekers-travellers were also asking themselves the
                question that Guru answered nearly 38 years ago:

                ¨Alan: When will perfection dawn here on earth?

                Sri Chinmoy: It entirely depends on earth's aspiration and earth´s
                receptivity. Earth's aspiration and earth's receptivity are entirely
                responsible for the dawn of perfection on earth.¨ (unofficial)

                Excerpt from 'Perfection-World' by Sri Chinmoy in
                http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0133/1/1/

                I hope you are enjoying many more soulful experiences like this one!

                Very gratefully,
                Suchana
              • cott_doris
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008
                  You are so kind, Suchana. I thought your experience was much more
                  delicate. But why compare?

                  If you not have already done so why not respond to the poem that was
                  written on the black-board in a similar way. I leave it to your
                  creativity! ;-)

                  I do not know what our seeker travellers are having in their minds
                  and I do not doubt their sincere questions in any way but I must
                  never be "blue-eyed."

                  Here in Zurich there are many refugees and each of them have their
                  own dreams. I am not suspicious in any way only alert. Many of the
                  refugees have problems to get a residence permit in Switzerland and
                  they have to leave the country after some time. So sometimes they are
                  using ways to get it in some more or less smart but strange ways. We
                  cannot blame them.

                  All the best to you