Eckhart Tolle

  • shivaramgi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2008
      In the context of many postings this Indian perspective I hope will be
      relevant. During the last 10 years I was pleasantly surprised to come
      across the lives, experiences and writings of many Westerners which
      were very close to the Indian trdition od God-realisation particularly
      on the path of Knowledge(Gnana).
      The unparalleled exemplar of the Gnani in modern times was Sri Ramana
      Maharshi. Almost all recent writers have mentioned his name.
      The pure Advaita Vedanta says ""There is no mind..." a line familiar
      to many. Ego is Maya and Shankaracharya (8th century)who
      expounded this in absolutely unambiguous terms says 'Maya is the power
      which can make things appear - differently or make the unreal look
      real. Hence the famous Vedic saying Brahman alone is Real all this is
      unreal'
      However the word illusion has been tossed around and mixed up with the
      word unreal which is interpreted as that which does not exist. Ramana
      Maharshi clarified this;
      "The world seen and experienced as different from Brahman is unreal"
      But as long as the mind is 'ON" ie, ego is on this world and all that
      we do and experience is our reality.
      Eckhart Tolle with his Western and psychology backgrounds has put all
      this i.e., based on his experiences in modern, scientific terminology
      with which many educated people searching for something deeper find
      sympathetic vibration.
      It is inspiring to feel that spiritual ideas are spreading in many
      different ways. How many of those touched will actually take up and
      continue the search-thru reamains to be seen for "EGO" is that
      elusive. Sri Ramakrishna in his unique simple words has captured it.
      "It is like a weed which you cut and uproot and think it is gone, only
      to see it sprouting after a few days'. The mind has the capacity to
      read something 'understand' it at some level, file and forget it.
      Realising and living it means a serious spiritual journey. That is
      where the living presence and guidance of a Teacher becomes an
      absolute necessity. Many of us have this blessing.
      No doubt as Sri Chinmoy has said (not exact quote)even one person
      attaining God-realisation will uplift the consciousness of entire
      humanity. (unofficial)
      Eckhart Tolle's talk and writings can help clarify some questions and
      help seekers who are ready to seriously challenge their EGO. Sri
      Chinmoy's life and teachings focus on the physical, pranic and psychic
      aspects, their transformation bypassing the intellectual mind -
      usually referred to as Bhakti and Karma Yogas.