Jazz at Aspiration Ground | Inspiration Sun

  • inspiration_sun_1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2008
      by Sudhira Hay

      I came to New York this April expecting the Celebrations to be quite
      subdued, it being the first time we were gathering as a large group
      since October. For that reason I was quite happy to hear that
      Bartika´s jazz band would be playing only at Panorama Cafe. What if
      other disciples at the court were meditating and thought that the jazz
      was a distraction, or inappropriate?

      Of course, Guru had formed the group himself, jokingly saying, "You
      must take the vagabonds, no nice girls!" He encouraged us every step
      of the way. But this was the first Celebrations since Guru's passing,
      and my thinking was that perhaps we should tone it down a bit and
      stick with "soulful performances." So it was with some trepidation
      that I found out we were on the schedule after all, on the 12th, no
      less. Still, I didn´t have much time to worry, as I was so busy
      getting ready for the gig.

      When we arrived at Aspiration Ground to set up, my earlier feeling was
      replaced by a growing conviction that we all needed to lighten up. A
      bit of "jazz" might be just the thing to give everyone a break from
      all the praying and meditating. Guru specified once that it did not
      have to be strict jazz. He said "jazz, rock and roll and all that" --
      as long as we had plenty of life energy.

      Guru never gave the reasons why he created the group. Where would be
      the fun in that? But I wondered whether this could be one of them. The
      main personal reason that I have found for Guru forming the group, (or
      at least putting me in it) was to let go of the need to be perfect in
      every note and to learn how to be spontaneous with music and have fun,
      using it as a means of communication rather than to present a finished
      product and say "look what I did". I am by no means anybody´s first
      choice as a pianist, and generally I am terrified of playing in front
      of people. But playing together over the last five years I have
      learned to put the group before my own egodriven fears and therefore
      not let myself give in to the nervousness gripping me.

      A music group is a great example of an entity that is more than the
      sum of its parts, and that precious feeling of joyful dialogue between
      us all--the different instruments, the singers, and the audience-- is
      something I shall always be grateful for. With the enthusiasm of the
      audience, our three songs were great fun. After all was played and
      done I was really happy we had the opportunity to perform.

      You can Listen to Bartika's Jazz Group at Radio Sri Chinmoy

      http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/radio/331

      From Inspiration Sun edition 3.
      http://srichinmoyinspiration.com/inspiration-sun
    • inspiration_sun_1
[...]