Re: I Am So Fortunate | Inspiration Sun

  • mcmugged
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
      Thanks for sharing that. Can we download the actual songs for our iPods somewhere? For
      those of us who are not near a Centre and musically-challenged?
      Linda
      Tri-Cities

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, inspiration_sun_1 <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > just composed: (unofficial)
      >
      > "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate!
      > God knocks my head off when I enjoy self-doubt lemonade."
      >
      > Guru seemed to both enjoy the humour of the phrasing of that song and,
      > at the same time, to take the song very seriously.
      >
      > Guru composed the 21st and 22nd song in the series on the morning of 8
      > September 2007. I'd like to relate a story about that event.
      >
      > Apparently earlier that morning, Guru was contemplating the lyrics to
      > the songs, and the phrase "life-acceptance God wants me to desiderate"
      > came to him. He was certain that he had seen the word "desiderate"
      > before, but had a little concern that perhaps it wasn't a proper word.
      > So, he called Vidagdha, who is well known for her command of English,
      > and asked if the word was correct. She quickly consulted one of her
      > dictionaries but did not end it there. But Guru felt sure that he had
      > seen it. Later, before teaching us the song, he expressed to Paree and
      > me how he was sure it was a proper word, but could not confirm it.
      > Later, Vidagdha did find the word in the expanded version of the
      > Oxford Dictionary. Yet another example of Guru's stunning
      > mind-brilliance!
      >

      > Over the past months I have come to the conclusion that the phrase "I
      > am so fortunate" is not just a cute line with many rhyming potentials,
      > but a powerful mantra. When I am in my mind and feel abandoned and
      > confused by Guru's passing, I remember how much focus he put on this
      > series of songs and I am convinced that it was not coincidental to the
      > timing of his Mahasamadhi. Yes, we have to mourn the loss of Guru's
      > beautiful, charming and illumining physical presence, but ultimately
      > we have to focus on not the loss, but on the very good fortune in
      > being his disciples.
      >
      > Now, in addition to singing the "I am so fortunate" songs, I also try
      > to implement the phrase into my vocabulary. Once when I said to my
      > brother "you are so lucky..." he interrupted me and said, "I am not
      > lucky, I am so fortunate." It is true that it is a subtle shift in
      > language, but it is a powerful shift in how it feels to say it. The
      > phrase carries a conscious and specific Grace — as well as a sense of
      > gratitude.
      >
      > Considering how important these songs seemed to be to Guru in the
      > months just preceeding his Mahasamadhi, it is interesting to reflect
      > upon how the phrase — the mantra — "I am so fortunate" can help us.
      > Needless to say, Guru has accomplished an infinite number of
      > significant manifestations during his lifetime, but I somehow feel
      > that these songs were given to us specifically at this time to assist
      > us in coping with Guru's passing.
      >

      > Certainly, the last song in the series calls us to resist wallowing in
      > our loss, to feel his Grace, and to hold aloft the banner of his
      > mission: (unofficial)
      >
      > "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate!
      > God says to me, "I want you to be My bravest soldier

    • melinda_geelong
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
        ---
        This also brings back very fond memories of that Summer for me. I was
        in New York with my children at the time these songs came into being
        so they have a special significance for us too. We also remember
        the 'cute' presentation that Parvatis group produced as one of her
        performances to which she alludes. Her whole group dressed as old
        ladies (very convincingly) and were grumbling about their lives
        together in an old persons home. Then one by one they started
        remembering incidents for which they were grateful and being reminded
        by each other in various states of dementia they recalled how really
        fortunate they were. It is certainly a performance that I will
        remember as each singer seemed to have a particular affinity with
        their particular stanza. I am reminded also that this in itself is
        not a cooincidence as Guru finds ways to bring realisations to us all
        in ways that we can understand. The performance comprised all of the
        15 'I am so fortunate' songs written to that time. Guru later
        composed many others as Parvati has related.
        Guru then sold the booklets at Aspiration Ground.
        Personally, I cannot forget how extremely fortunate we were to be
        there during that most auspicious last Summer.

        "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate,
        I have transformed my fate"
        (unofficial)

        Melinda