Wednesday Night Meditation in N.Y., June 4, 2008

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      Wednesday Night Meditation in N.Y., June 4, 2008

      With threats of a thunderstorm and heavy rains predicted, we were
      worried that the meditation function for this evening would not happen.
      But luck, fate or divine Grace was on our side, and even though there
      was a slight drizzle for a short while, the evening was as peaceful and
      fulfilling as ever. Our wonderfully singing local feathered friends
      visited us again, and although I cannot identify the beautiful chirping
      songs, they added to the natural and peaceful atmosphere quite
      soulfully. One of our bird experts, like Pranlobha from Seattle, should
      come here some evening to identify these sweetly singing birds for us.

      Within this entertaining aviary was also a deep silence alternating with
      soulful music from recordings of Sri Chinmoy, then our usual chanting of
      `Supreme' followed by meditation and the singing of the
      `Invocation', our most important spiritual melody.

      The first performance that followed was a soulful recital by Khokan of
      five of Sri Chinmoy's earlier poems from the series, `The Golden
      Boat', first published in 1974. Parvati's singing group then
      sang quite powerfully ten English songs from over 1,500 English songs
      that Sri Chinmoy has composed over the years. One of the songs was:

      "Human life is craving.

      Divine life is offering.

      Realised life is serving."[unofficial]

      The last song sung was:

      "Humility is the fastest

      And safest way

      Of climbing God's Himalaya." [unofficial]

      A large group of excellent singers then came up to sing a special song
      dedicated to the Sitar, a traditional Indian instrument that Sri Chinmoy
      began to play on May 31, 2003. He composed this song on June 12, 2003
      and gave his first Sitar performance on June 14, 2003. The song, called:
      `Setar Setar Amar Setar', which is the Bengali word for Sitar,
      was sung in observance of the fifth Anniversary of Guru's Sitar
      journey.

      We then watched two videos, the first one was a Sitar performance of
      Sri Chinmoy in one of his Peace Concerts offered a few years ago. His
      uniquely soleful and playful style of playing the Sitar makes it fun to
      watch and at the same time creates a sweet atmosphere from which
      meditation flows quite naturally.

      The second video was part of a concert offered by Sri Chinmoy in
      Woodstock, N.Y. on June 3, 1988. As I watched this video I thought back
      twenty years and how some of us were fortunate enough to have been
      present at many of these earlier performances. As we watch a virtual
      image of those realities from years past which are now valuable history,
      the same high consciousness is still present that was present there back
      then. Unaffected by time and space, the higher Light and Divine
      Consciousness which always tries to manifest on earth through spiritual
      aspirants, survives and thrives on the aspiration or inner cry of the
      seekers still present.

      So as we watch these truly precious videos of Sri Chinmoy when he was
      physically alive, his divine consciousness is as present and as powerful
      as it was back then. It is as if we are still watching him perform right
      before our very eyes. The inner light and peace which results, yet
      cannot be described adequately in words, spreads and strengthens itself
      in the hearts and minds of those who feel the need and thirst for the
      higher Light of the Beyond, or God's Grace.

      Woodstock, a small artistic and spiritually oriented community in
      upstate New York, was the first place that Sri Chinmoy lived when he
      first came to America in 1964. This past weekend coincidentally there
      was a Joy Day, or spiritual day of soulful fun, for those who had the
      time to travel up there. Organized by Palash who lives there, the whole
      day was full of sweet and innocent fun, games, meditation and a musical
      performance by Premik and Parichayaka.

      At the end of the function tonight, as we were getting Prasad, we
      listened to a recording of Sri Chinmoy reciting a series of English
      poems he composed many years ago called, "What Do You Want?"
      Again, as with the videos of Sri Chinmoy, the creative aspects of his
      artistic manifestations which were so amazingly prolific for over forty
      years, still live on as powerfully as when they first came into creation
      directly by him. Therefore, our functions here in New York as elsewhere
      around the world, are not unlike the functions that Sri Chinmoy
      personally attended in terms of consciousness and the fulfillment of the
      inner cry for Truth and Light.

      After a wonderful Prasad, one item which was offered in honor of the
      30th Anniversary of Sri Chinmoy's start of his long distance running
      career on June 1, 1978, we had some good news announcements as always.
      Because of the nice weather and the constrained rain, some people just
      `hung around', sharing the `good vibes' and
      all-pervading peace that encourages a sense of camaraderie, oneness and
      friendship.

      Until next week….

      Comrade,

      Arpan

    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2008
        On the occasion of Sri Chinmoy's 5th anniversary of Sitar playing we
        practised the special sitar song in our centre as well.

        On Radio Sri Chinmoy you can listen to the song sung powerfully and
        soulfully and learn it along with Sri Chinmoy as he repeats it very
        often (Track 52). It is from album Impossibility Surrenders.

        Setar, Setar Amar Setar

        "Mama ma, Mama ma Saraswati
        Setar, setar amar setar Saraswatir karuna pathar.
        Bhoye bhoye bhoye bhoye mriyoman,
        Chilomor hiya tanuman pran
        Nahibhoy nahibhoy nahibhoy
        Setar gahiche amar bijoy."

        -Sri Chinmoy
        (unofficial)
        ~ ~ ~

        I hope the link works, it was not possible to make a tiny url.

        http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/radiosrichinmoy/server.php?q=f&f=%
        2F02_CD_albums_by_Sri_Chinmoy%2FImpossibility+Surrenders-+Sitar

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo