I Am So Fortunate | Inspiration Sun

  • inspiration_sun_1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
      By Parvati, New York

      New York The summer of 2007 will be forever etched in my heart and
      mind as "the summer of Grace". There are quite a few reasons why this
      is, but one reason is the "I am so fortunate" series of songs.

      Sri Chinmoy composed the First song of this series on 25 June 2007 for the
      guards: (unofficial)

      "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate,
      To guard my Lord Supreme's
      Golden Heart-Gate."

      Within the next 48 hours he composed eight more songs in the series.
      Guru seemed to put a lot of significance to the songs and asked my
      singing group to learn the songs and to repeatedly perform them. When
      he composed the 10th song of the series, he asked that I put together
      a little song booklet and make enough copies "...for everybody.
      Because everybody should feel that he is fortunate, she is fortunate."

      It was a full one and a half-months later (after Celebrations) when
      Guru asked if we could "bear to be more fortunate". Of course we said
      "yes" and Guru composed more songs for the series.

      On 7 September, I received a phone call at work from Paree. Guru asked
      her to call me and tell me the words to the 20th song which he had
      just composed: (unofficial)

      "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate!
      God knocks my head off when I enjoy self-doubt lemonade."

      Guru seemed to both enjoy the humour of the phrasing of that song and,
      at the same time, to take the song very seriously.

      Guru composed the 21st and 22nd song in the series on the morning of 8
      September 2007. I'd like to relate a story about that event.

      Apparently earlier that morning, Guru was contemplating the lyrics to
      the songs, and the phrase "life-acceptance God wants me to desiderate"
      came to him. He was certain that he had seen the word "desiderate"
      before, but had a little concern that perhaps it wasn't a proper word.
      So, he called Vidagdha, who is well known for her command of English,
      and asked if the word was correct. She quickly consulted one of her
      dictionaries but did not end it there. But Guru felt sure that he had
      seen it. Later, before teaching us the song, he expressed to Paree and
      me how he was sure it was a proper word, but could not confirm it.
      Later, Vidagdha did find the word in the expanded version of the
      Oxford Dictionary. Yet another example of Guru's stunning
      mind-brilliance!

      Over the past months I have come to the conclusion that the phrase "I
      am so fortunate" is not just a cute line with many rhyming potentials,
      but a powerful mantra. When I am in my mind and feel abandoned and
      confused by Guru's passing, I remember how much focus he put on this
      series of songs and I am convinced that it was not coincidental to the
      timing of his Mahasamadhi. Yes, we have to mourn the loss of Guru's
      beautiful, charming and illumining physical presence, but ultimately
      we have to focus on not the loss, but on the very good fortune in
      being his disciples.

      Now, in addition to singing the "I am so fortunate" songs, I also try
      to implement the phrase into my vocabulary. Once when I said to my
      brother "you are so lucky..." he interrupted me and said, "I am not
      lucky, I am so fortunate." It is true that it is a subtle shift in
      language, but it is a powerful shift in how it feels to say it. The
      phrase carries a conscious and specific Grace — as well as a sense of
      gratitude.

      Considering how important these songs seemed to be to Guru in the
      months just preceeding his Mahasamadhi, it is interesting to reflect
      upon how the phrase — the mantra — "I am so fortunate" can help us.
      Needless to say, Guru has accomplished an infinite number of
      significant manifestations during his lifetime, but I somehow feel
      that these songs were given to us specifically at this time to assist
      us in coping with Guru's passing.

      Certainly, the last song in the series calls us to resist wallowing in
      our loss, to feel his Grace, and to hold aloft the banner of his
      mission: (unofficial)

      "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate!
      God says to me, "I want you to be My bravest soldier
      and not vegetate!"

      By: Parvati, New York.

      From Inspiration Sun Edition 3.
      http://srichinmoyinspiration.com/inspiration-sun

      I am So Fortunate songs by Sri Chinmoy
    • mcmugged
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
        Thanks for sharing that. Can we download the actual songs for our iPods somewhere? For
        those of us who are not near a Centre and musically-challenged?
        Linda
        Tri-Cities

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, inspiration_sun_1 <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > language, but it is a powerful shift in how it feels to say it. The
        > phrase carries a conscious and specific Grace — as well as a sense of
        > gratitude.
        >
        > Considering how important these songs seemed to be to Guru in the
        > months just preceeding his Mahasamadhi, it is interesting to reflect
        > upon how the phrase — the mantra — "I am so fortunate" can help us.
        > Needless to say, Guru has accomplished an infinite number of
        > significant manifestations during his lifetime, but I somehow feel
        > that these songs were given to us specifically at this time to assist
        > us in coping with Guru's passing.
        >

        > Certainly, the last song in the series calls us to resist wallowing in
        > our loss, to feel his Grace, and to hold aloft the banner of his
        > mission: (unofficial)
        >
        > "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate!
        > God says to me, "I want you to be My bravest soldier

      • melinda_geelong
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
          ---
          This also brings back very fond memories of that Summer for me. I was
          in New York with my children at the time these songs came into being
          so they have a special significance for us too. We also remember
          the 'cute' presentation that Parvatis group produced as one of her
          performances to which she alludes. Her whole group dressed as old
          ladies (very convincingly) and were grumbling about their lives
          together in an old persons home. Then one by one they started
          remembering incidents for which they were grateful and being reminded
          by each other in various states of dementia they recalled how really
          fortunate they were. It is certainly a performance that I will
          remember as each singer seemed to have a particular affinity with
          their particular stanza. I am reminded also that this in itself is
          not a cooincidence as Guru finds ways to bring realisations to us all
          in ways that we can understand. The performance comprised all of the
          15 'I am so fortunate' songs written to that time. Guru later
          composed many others as Parvati has related.
          Guru then sold the booklets at Aspiration Ground.
          Personally, I cannot forget how extremely fortunate we were to be
          there during that most auspicious last Summer.

          "I am so fortunate, I am so fortunate,
          I have transformed my fate"
          (unofficial)

          Melinda