OT : Camp Songs

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 11:58 AM
      Our school year here in Canada is quickly wrapping up with only one
      month left to go,and I can't think of a better thing to do in a
      music class before summer break than sing camp songs!

      How I loooooved (and still love) singing camp songs! Everything from
      Puff the Magic Dragon to 5 Little Speckled Frogs, I get a thrill
      when I think about sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmallows
      and singing for hours.

      As many of my students are from diverse parts of the world, I feel
      that I would be remiss in my duty as a teacher if I did not educate
      them the fine art of campfire singing.
      I even have a toy campfire to put in my classroom to add to the
      spirit!

      I was searching for lyrics for some of the songs that I couldn't
      quite remember all of the verses to, and I came across a couple that
      I had never heard before that tickled my funny bone so I wanted to
      share them here.

      The first is a "sophisticated" version of Row Row Row Your Boat; a
      song that our own Guru enjoyed and had us sing on a few occasions.

      Sophisticated Row Your Boat

      Propel, Propel, Propel your craft,
      Placidly over the liquid solution,
      Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically ecstatically,
      existence is merely illusion.

      And this next song called Hawaiian Punch will really make you
      chuckle if you remember the old American TV show The Brady Bunch.
      This is a parody of the theme song,and I'm sure that all of you who
      were youngsters in the 60's and 70's still remember all of the words.

      Hawaiian Punch

      Here's the story, of a Dole banana
      Who was raising 3 very lovely fruits.
      All of them had peels of gold, like their mother
      The youngest one was green.

      Here's the story, of a ripe papaya
      Who was busy with 3 fruits of his own.
      They were 4 fruits living in the same tree,
      Yet they were all alone.

      Until one day when Banana met Papaya,
      And they knew that they were much more than a bunch.
      Yes this crew could somehow form a fruit drink
      That's the way they all became Hawaiian Punch.

      Hawaiian Punch, Hawaiian Punch.
      That's the way they all became Hawaiian punch.

      As I search more sights I realise how many songs I have forgotten.

      I would love to hear other people's favorites as well to add to my
      list. I'm sure that you have many, and hopefully it will evoke some
      pleasant memories for you.

      I also teach french, so if anyone has some great fun french song
      suggestions, I would be very grateful.

      Yours in fireside oneness,

      Purnakama

      PS International songs are very welcome. I already have Waltzing
      Matilda, Day-O, Des Colores and Scotland the Brave on my list:)