Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2008
      To meditate well and receive light â€" a light not coming from a light
      bulb or from the sun â€" is a gift or grace, at least for me. To
      meditate well one has to silence the mind and be calm and quiet
      inside. But this is a rare experience for me.

      Recently my mind was so restless I couldn't meditate. In a way it
      left me frustrated. Out of the blue I came to talk to a disciple
      from Austria at our last joyday in Germany someone I had never spoken
      to before accept for business purposes.

      Full of joy and with much enthusiasm he told me about an audio
      collection of a book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and how it
      helped him to avoid getting angry in different situations in his
      life.

      At first I listened to him and thought that I don't have problems
      with getting angry and have a lot of books by Sri Chinmoy to read but
      as he continued and talked about the transformation of the mind as
      such and it's role in the evolution of mankind mentioning useless
      repetitions of thoughts etc. I became more attentive and heard myself
      saying, "I think Someone wants me to listen to that audio
      collection." I wrote down my address and soon after the CDs had been
      landing in my mailbox I found myself listening and listening for
      hours and hours, days and nights. Today I finshed. The teachings and
      insights have been working inside me for the whole last week and will
      certainly do so for a few more days.

      If anybody feels that his/her mind is torchering them from time to
      time like mine sometimes does I highly recommend this collection or
      the book that I mentioned above. It may not silence the mind
      overnight but one gets a profound insight beyond the outer
      appearances.

      Since I am meditating with Sri Chinmoy I did not do any of the
      offered exercises to calm the mind which are surely good to do but
      felt a compassionate light radiating from my meditation picture The
      Transcendental Picture that embodies Sri Chinmoy's highest
      consciousness. It was a very illumining experience to listen to all
      the topics in the CDs but the most illumining experience was to feel
      my master's compassionate presence â€" his love, the love-light that
      seemed to lift me up and brought me back the feeling of oneness with
      others that I had been missing for a quite a while and allowed me to
      accept a certain life situation by facing it and not running away
      from reality and seeking shelter in the mind.

      The topics are:

      Emotions
      Consciousness â€" the way out of pain
      Ego-identification
      The root of fear
      The search of the ego for perfection
      Movement deep into the presence
      Stop the illusion of time
      Mind-strategies to avoid the presence
      The state of present
      The inner body
      Portals and accesses to the Unmanifested
      Awakened relationships
      Beyond happiness and unhappiness is peace
      The meaning of devotion

      Here are some excerpts from the book:

      http://eckharttolle.com/the_power_of_now

      ~ ~ ~

      Doris
    • purnakama2000
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2008
        Yes Doris,

        I recently began reading his latest book, A New Earth (under the
        reccomendation of Martin the dude whom we haven't heard from in a
        while) and both of these books are very powerful indeed!

        Sometimes we need to hear things in many different ways before we
        get it:)

        Glad you are enjoying them!

        Purnakama
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2008
          Doris and others who like 'The Power of Now',
          As you know Eckhart Tolle is German although he studied in England,
          for many years. His experiences with his own transformation of his
          consciousness have been recorded and expressed in ways that the
          Western world has come to accept. Even though he does not specifically
          delineat spiritual concepts of God or even define meditation, he does
          present a very practical approach to the expansion of personal
          consciousness in the everyday world.

          His book,'The Power of Now', is the first of a few that followed. 'A
          New Earth' and 'Stillness Speaks' are also helpful on the practical
          level of going beyond the noisy mind and ego.

          This is good for some people as they try to deal with their limited
          and limiting minds. Of course our Guru has been teaching us this on
          every level of life including the physical, creative, emotional,
          spiritual and psychic for many decades.

          Because many people are afraid of the devotional aspect of meditation
          and spiritual growth, they can start out with an approach like that of
          Eckhart Tolle. As they progress, they may eventually come to realise
          that a real Spiritual Master, which he does not claim to be, embodies
          the Eternal answers to real transformation of our nature and
          consciousness on every level, not just the emotional or mental.

          Ekchart Tolle's books have inspired me to realize just how privileged
          we are to have a true Spiritual Master for our Guru. I felt that if he
          had ever met Sri Chinmoy he would have been so grateful and humbled in
          his presence. It seems that there are spiritual teachers on many
          levels trying to uplift humanity in every possible way and through all
          the inevitable avenues of life's activities.

          When I was reading Eckhart Tolle's books this winter I would read a
          few pages, meditate a bit and then open up one of Guru's books like
          'Everest-Aspiration' or a poetry book. This is one way to really see
          Guru's writings with a fresh and lasting appreciation for just how
          special and unique they are on such high and at the same time
          practical levels.

          Eckhart Tolle's writings and lectures are like stepping stones for
          those who want to move on to a real spiritual life and transformation.
          Then a sunlit spiritual path, like Sri Chinmoy's, could make a bit
          more sense to those who have had no prior introduction to the
          transformation of consciousness.

          Gratefully,
          Arpan
        • cott_doris
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2008
            Dear Purnakama and Arpan and all,

            Yes, I did enjoy listening, but like Arpan said Sri Chinmoy's poems,
            songs and other writings have to be felt with the heart and that was
            really refreshing to feel Sri Chinmoy's ocean heart after
            concentrating in the mind for quite some hours. When I wrote the
            message I thought of possible readers who are not students of Sri
            Chinmoy.

            I also received the CD Stillness Speaks and New Earth sounds
            interesting (I think you mentioned it already in an earlier post
            Purnakama) but my mind needs some rest or better I still need some
            rest from my mind.

            One of Sri Chinmoy's songs goes:

            "O my Lord, o my Lord, o my Lord,
            Give me a heart of sweetness
            To feel Your Love of oneness."

            -Sri Chinmoy
            (unofficial)

            I am very grateful for the insights I got. E. Tolle did not define
            meditation but he mentioned meditation as something positive and he
            quoted Jesus Christ and interpreted his utterances. He also spoke
            about the importance of the Bhagavad Gita.

            This reminds me of a part in the Mahabharata where Yudhisthira was
            suffering from a restless mind even though the Pandavas had won the
            battle of Kurukshetra. He was told by a wise man that he had fought
            very bravely and heroically but still he would have to conquer his
            pride. But that is another story...

            What I also liked is that E. Tolle speaks with a great sense of
            balance in his voice without judging but at the same time not hiding
            or wrapping any inner and outer truth such as invironmental
            destruction of our planet Earth representing humanity's inner
            consciousness. I had tears in my eyes when he spoke about the
            importance of forgiveness in general and the forgiveness of the
            present. If we can forgive the present then there will be no past
            that has to be forgiven.

            This is all so serious staff, I am inspired to tell you a joke:

            A man lends another man some money. The men who receives the money
            promises to pay it back the next day. But his friend does not trust
            him. So the man wrote him a little note and signed it saying that he
            would pay back the money tomorrow. The next day he did not pay back
            the money and so it went on. When the man asked to get his money back
            his friend said, "I wrote I will pay tomorrow."

            P.S. I am sorry for the invention of a "torchering mind" (can you
            imagine!) ;-) of course I meant to say a "torturing mind." I did
            laugh at my own expense but then I was embarrassed. :-)

            Have a good time

            Doris
            A German soul
          • natalia_1331
            Message 5 of 6 , May 29, 2008
              Eckhart Tolle's discussion of his book can be viewed here:

              http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/webcast/archive/archive_watchnow.jsp

              He did a webcast with Oprah - ten classes in all - discussing his
              book, "A New Earth". It was a live webcast spanning ten weeks.
              Viewer phoned in questions as part of the program.

              P.S. Eckhart Tolle is from Norway (or so I heard).
            • cott_doris
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2008
                I had a similiar thought like Arpan who said in message 22722:

                "I felt that if he (Eckhart Tolle) had ever met Sri Chinmoy he would
                have been so grateful and humbled in his presence. It seems that
                there are spiritual teachers on many levels trying to uplift humanity
                in every possible way and through all the inevitable avenues of
                life's activities."

                In the newsletter Inspiration Sun nr.3 Arthada from Vienna, Austria
                writes (excerpt from his article A Galaxy of Gurus):

                "[...] There is another master living in Croatia who is a disciple of
                a disciple of Sri Ramakrishna. Among the disciples of this master are
                a husband and wife who are blind. When this couple decided to move to
                Vienna several years ago, their master told them that since Vienna
                was home to a Sri Chinmoy Centre, this would be an opportunity to
                become Sri Chinmoy's disciples[...]

                [...] A few months later Sri Chinmoy was planning to give a concert
                in Slovenia, which is close to Croatia...Shortly after Sri Chinmoy's
                visit to Slovenia the same seeker called me back. He told me that he
                went to Slovenia on his own. When he got there he joined the master
                and the master's other disciples and they all went to Sri Chinmoy's
                concert. He said that he felt he was bathing in a sea of light while
                he was there. This experience continued for days after the concert.
                He said that he still saw Sri Chinmoy's light everywhere[...]

                [...] I was also moved by the Croatian master. His heart was large
                enough to offer his own long-term and very devoted disciples to Sri
                Chinmoy. [...]"

                One of my favourite recordings by Sri Chinmoy is Songs Of The Soul.
                At least once a week I am listening to it.

                Here is the part to read about The Mind:

                http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0009/?searchterm=Songs%20Of%
                20The%20Soul

                "Now
                Is always
                The best time."

                -Sri Chinmoy
                From 27'000 Aspiration-Plants
                (unofficial)

                ~ ~ ~

                Doris

                P.S. Dear Natalie, Eckhart Tolle looks a bit like a Norwegian, but
                according to wikipedia he was born in Dortmund, Germany in 1948. He
                changed his name from Ulrich to Eckhart possibly hinting to the
                mystic Master Eckhart who also lived in Gotha, Germany from 1260-1328