Pavitrata's new web site

  • pavitrata27
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2008
      Hello,

      Just to say my new website is online at

      http://www.pavitrata.com/

      There is an album on the site with 76 portraits of Sri Chinmoy.

      There is also an album with photos of the recent May 2008 Boris
      Purushottama Grebenshikov concert at the Albert Hall.

      enjoy!
      Pavitrata
    • sopan_31
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2008
        Great photos from the concert! Thank you!

        Sopan
      • nirmalapoems
        Message 3 of 9 , May 26, 2008
          Hallo Pavitrata

          I like the way they are presented here on your new website.
          All of them, 76 Portraits are really speaking through the colours
          and the way Guru looks at you. I think Guru was aware of the
          photographer behind the camera each time. Specially the one Guru is
          sitting in the red car and himself wearing a red-white jacket. This
          one I can feel how Guru is breathing and taking care of you, there is
          such purity in it.

          Nirmala
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2008
            Hi, Pavitrata!

            I like your website quite a bit!

            Keep up the good work!

            with gratitude, Kamalakanta
          • johnji_nz
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
              Hi Pavitrata,

              I very much enjoyed your new website, and especially your photos of
              the recent Boris Purushottama Grebenshikov concert at the Albert Hall,
              which sadly I was unable to attend. Despite living literally on the
              other side of the world, I did actually consider doing so...

              Viewing your album however was *almost* as good as being there :-)

              John-Paul,
              New Zealand
            • pavitrata27
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7, 2008
                Hi John-Paul, also Sopan, Nirmala, and Kamalakanta

                Thanks so much for your encouraging comments about my site, I really
                appreciate them. I waited five years for the domain name to become
                free, and kept checking it, it used to belong to an Indian clothing
                company!! They either went out of business or forget to renew it!

                I have also started putting a link on some pages to high resolution
                300 dpi versions of the images, and eventually hope to have all of
                the 76 portraits available for high resolution download.

                John-Paul, the fact that you even contemplated the journey is great!
                The concert was very different to last year's, not only musically
                but the audience were far more settled, they were focused and
                reflective, and clearly touched and moved by the performance. One of
                the staff at the Albert Hall told me it was best audience he had
                ever seen there! It was a full house, with people having to be
                turned away.

                The standard of musicianship was astounding,it was hard to believe
                that these musicians had mostly known each other a few weeks, they
                could have been playing together for years from the way it sounded.

                The video of the concert, will, I am sure, be really exceptional.

                regards
                Pavitrara
              • dmchaudhurani
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2008
                  1am on Sunday 29th June.
                  I spent this Saturday with my mother, mostly cleaning my car and
                  organising schoolwork. We did some washing and she went to a Nursing
                  Home to collect one of her best friends who is staying there at the
                  moment - and who came for the afternoon and stayed 'til late. It was a
                  useful and peaceful day but I was later leaving than I had intended.

                  I was last at Mum's on Wednesday. That evening she took me to see a
                  footpath in the village which has been cleared and re-routed slightly.
                  There's a meadow in the middle of the village where in times past we
                  used to hold the village fete. It's always been a meadow with soft,
                  tussocky grass. I don't know who owned it but two ancient footpaths
                  used to cross it, passing diagonally from corner to corner and
                  intersecting in the middle. That's a pattern associated with medieval
                  fields, so some people call it 'The Medieval Field.'

                  My attitude to the footpaths is that we are custodians to these
                  ancient rights of way and should keep them as they are, ensuring they
                  are maintained well, known and used by as many people as possible. But
                  an 'incomer' to the village, living in a house made from a converted
                  barn close by, has bought some of the 'medieval field' and fenced it
                  off for his horses. He does not want people climbing over his fence
                  and crossing the corner of his paddock. So he applied for the re-routing.

                  Although I am not happy in theory about loosing what as a child I used
                  to call 'the envelope field' (because the paths made a pattern like
                  the folds on an envelope) it has been good for the village. All the
                  discussion involved means everyone knows where the paths go now - and
                  where there was an impenetrable thicket in one corner - where the
                  hedges from several fields met and two paths crossed a little stream,
                  but walkers had to detour as at that point the path was completely
                  overgrown - the hedge has been cut back and a neat new bridge built.
                  Along all the paths hedges have been trimmed and there are new, sturdy
                  stiles in all the right places. The paths are clearly being well used now.

                  Mum and I enjoyed our walk and on the way back home, up the hill past
                  barley fields, we were thinking of all the colours you would need to
                  try to paint them. Mum said it was like a Van Gough painting, full of
                  streaks of different colours, many shades of greens, pale
                  yellow-creams, light shades of silver, even pink. (If you ever saw the
                  film Gladiator and remember the opening scene, where the hero is
                  walking through the ripening barley you will know how beautiful it
                  is.) That's what is happening right now in this part of England. The
                  barley-fields are 'turning' as they say, the grains set, the heavy
                  ears arched over and the myriad hues of green turning, changing hue -
                  but not yet taking on their harvest colours. I used up the battery on
                  Mum's camera trying to capture the different shades but I don't think
                  they will come out as the light was fading as the hazy sun dipped down
                  to the horizon and out of sight.

                  Just three days have passed but now that field has changed so much.
                  The heavy, curving ears of barley-corn with their long rough whiskers
                  are now predominantly an even, shade of silver-blonde. This shade is
                  so predominant in all the ears it asserts a new sense of confidence as
                  all the shades of green are leaching away, their tones less
                  contrasting, no longer seen in the ears themselves but only in the
                  leaves and stems below.
                  As I set out to drive back to London after sundown the barley-fields
                  were pale, reflecting the evening light and making the landscape look
                  quite different to how it was just three days ago.

                  Well, what has all this musing on the changing colours of corn to do
                  with Pavitrata's new website? Just that at school on Friday I was
                  checking back through the past pages of Inspiration, looking for the
                  postings about Ekhart Tolle - with a view to passing on information
                  about his book to a colleague in response to a conversation in the
                  Staffroom. While looking back I noticed references to Pavitrota's site
                  and looked at it for the first time. I was delighted. Not only are
                  there the great albums of Guru's photos and photos from the Albert
                  Hall concert - but there is an album of combined photos and aphorisms,
                  called 'Aphorism Cards' (many of which I printed out immediately to
                  use for display and extension work in my classroom) - There is also
                  another album just entitled 'Pavitrata'.

                  I was too short of time to look at all the albums on Friday, so when I
                  reached home tonight I thought I would have a 'quick peek' before
                  going to bed. That was just after midnight. I found the Pavitrota site
                  full of all kinds of lovely photos including studies of swans and
                  cygnets - a stone angel weeping in the rain - and a range of images,
                  street-scenes, people, flowers, a bee and atmospheric landscapes with
                  fascinating information and anecdotes written around them. Then at the
                  bottom is a row of stories all of which would make fascinating 'posts'
                  on this site. They deserve to be read by many and I would love to
                  share the insights of other readers arising from them.

                  Tonight I read just two of these stories - 'The McGuffin' and
                  'Ladislav and the Spirroo.' Somehow the intensity of observation and
                  the depth of human feeling in these stories reminded me of the way the
                  year is passing and each day is so full of growth and ripening. It
                  reminded me of the barley and how my mother at 89 refused to let me
                  help or steady her as she climbed over the stiles as we followed the
                  footpaths through the village. She was showing me how she could still
                  swing her legs forward and over the top bar - although she did say
                  that they should build a lower step into the stiles and include a long
                  post to hold on, for any villagers who may not be so mobile.

                  Pavitrota's stories reminded me how each person we meet is special,
                  each conversation significant. There are more but I will not read more
                  tonight. They deserve to be savored, not rushed or crowded out with
                  new images and events. I will keep them for another time - and
                  besides, it's now nearly 3am and Centre in the morning. I don't want
                  to be falling asleep in meditation.

                  Thankyou for your lovely website, Pavitrota - for the photographs and
                  the stories and for being such a generous-hearted and insightful
                  brother. I wonder if you have you any photos of the ripening barley.
                  It would make a great Aphorism Card.

                  With love to all,

                  Durga-Mata
                • rathin31
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 29, 2008
                    Hi Pavitrata,

                    I was looking at your new website, thinking, "hmm, yes, some nice
                    photos" when I saw a message next to one photo of Sri Chinmoy that
                    really grabbed me. It read "Click here to download this image as a
                    19mb 300 dpi TIFF file". And for free, too! How many photographers
                    give away top-quality copies of their work? This is really something
                    that you are offering to the world.

                    Rathin

                    -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Just to say my new website is online at
                    >
                    > http://www.pavitrata.com/
                    >
                    > There is an album on the site with 76 portraits of Sri Chinmoy.
                    >
                    > There is also an album with photos of the recent May 2008 Boris
                    > Purushottama Grebenshikov concert at the Albert Hall.
                    >
                    > enjoy!
                    > Pavitrata

                  • pavitrata27
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
                      Hi Durga-Mata and Rathin,

                      I really appreciate your kind comments about my website.

                      Rathin, re the free downloads, I hope within the next few months to
                      have most if not all of the photos of Sri Chinmoy available as free
                      high res downloads. My feeling is, these photos should be made
                      available to as many people as possible; I have never felt any sense
                      of ownership about them, more a custodian of images from a precious
                      and unique time.

                      Durga-Mata, I like the idea of the barley photo, I am looking for
                      new ideas for photos for my aphorism cards, so if you find an
                      appropriate aphorism let me know!

                      Re the stories, thanks so much for taking the time to read them, few
                      people get that far into the site, which I don't blame them for. I
                      have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to web sites, my
                      experience is that, like me, most people get restless on any given
                      web site after around 5 minutes. That's the reason I tried to make
                      the site easy to navigate with graphic/icon links rather than text
                      links.

                      The site is ongoing really, I have many, many more photos of Sri
                      Chinmoy to scan in and put on the site, and it is the most
                      delightful kind of sadhana to work in Photoshop on these images.

                      Pavitrata