A Lump Of Clay

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5 2:24 AM
      The sun is already shining brightly when I step out the door und walk
      up the hills. A soft wind is blowing and I am looking down to the
      ground while walking. I notice that there are lumps of fresh clay on
      the way probably lost by a jeep with big profiled tyres. At first I
      hesitate to pick some up to mould them into something. But while
      walking further up and up finally I take one and start moulding it
      and thinking of a friend of mine who is a potter and lives in Berlin.
      I remember some good times we spent together but got out of contact
      since I joined Sri Chinmoy's path. Was it necessary? Definitely not,
      but it happened.

      I was deaf to the tractor who was ploughing a field next to me until
      I woke up from my thoughts. Aha! There the clay had come from! As I
      walk along the fields I have unconsciously shaped a mushroom out of
      the clay or does it look it like a nail? For a fleeting second I
      inwardly see a big mushroom in the air made of clouds…I don't want to
      be remembered and push the image away.

      Now that I was on my way back home I thought of throwing my new born
      mushroom away but interestingly I couldn't just throw it. I suddenly
      felt the consciousness of a mushroom and the soft, fresh and cool
      feeling of the clay made it difficult. It was as I was in contact
      with Mother Earth and inwardly I jokingly called her Mami Earth. But
      Mami Earth is so silent I couldn't hear her voice.

      When I concentrate on Sri Chinmoy I immediately get an inner
      response. And so I begged him inwardly to tell Mami Earth that I
      can't let go of this seemingly insignificant lump of clay in my
      hands. And while I decide to place it back soulfully on the ploughed
      field tears are plopping down and it even becomes more difficult. My
      mushroom has already become familiar to me, it is no longer just a
      lump of clay. Some may call it attachment or is it a possessive
      attitude towards material things? I call it love.

      When I walk back there are many more pieces of clay on the pathway
      and smilingly I take another two in each hand and start moulding
      them. They are pieces of clay from the same field â€" pieces of Mami
      Earth and this time I am just using them to train some muscles. I
      have no difficulty to throw them away into the yellow shining rape
      field.

      "Attachment-cry I never want
      I never want detachment-frown.
      My Lord, only one thing I want:
      My soul's oneness and fulness-crown."

      -Sri Chinmoy
      (unofficial)

      ~ ~ ~

      Doris
    • dmchaudhurani
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7 8:40 AM
        Hello Doris

        I love your clay-mushroom story. When I was a young child I had a
        special love for stones. We lived on a farm and I liked to walk over
        the ploughed fields 'fossil hunting'. Sometimes I would feel sorry
        for stones because they can't move and they always 'see' the same
        thing - so I would move them. I might put a 'road stone' on a mossy
        bank under the hedge or a 'stream stone' in a sunny place. Its ages
        since I did that but I still collect nice stones from beaches and
        fields.

        As always it is a joy to get such a vivid glimpse of your life from
        your posts. I was thinking of you yesterday, after school, when I
        was driving through glorious countryside to Dereham where I stay
        while working in Norfolk. The oil-seed rape fields are indeed
        shining yellow-bright as you describe. It is a beautiful time of
        year.

        Yesterday I took a new route through the lanes, rather than the
        direct route, in fast, heavy traffic on the A47. I stopped where a
        little track ran down to a stream with a yellow rape-field on one
        side and a rippling green cornfield on the other. Skylarks were
        singing and the lane was full of flowers. I was thinking of you as I
        alternated walking and jogging, wanting to improve my running and
        fitness but held back by the sheer beauty of the evening and a
        desire to go slowly and absorb the loveliness.

        There is such beauty on the world. Do you ever share my longing to
        scoop up all the people who are stressed out, all those who scrape a
        living in city slums or who face fear and danger each day living in
        war zones - to bring them to wherever I happen to be feasting on
        nature's beauty and let it feed their souls for a while.

        Thankyou for your stories

        Durga-Mata
      • nirmalapoems
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8 12:00 PM
          Hallo Durga-Mata

          What a coincidence, I love this story too.

          I had a similar experience with Mother Earth just yesterday. I told
          myself how so fortunate she is, she can stay all the time here.
          She does not have to leave earth one day as we human beings. Then came
          a "yes, what do you want?" Oh, Mother Earth I want to stay here with
          you, you got all the Footprints from my Guru. "Yes, I am keeping all
          the treasures from the
          golden Divine Being!" Thank you Mother Earth, when we all come back
          again here, we will find for sure all the divine mushrooms made out of
          clay.

          Nirmala
        • cott_doris
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9 9:30 AM
            Hello Durga-Mata,

            I liked your little stone-love story. The road stone on a mossy bank
            under the hedge made me smile. It is really something childlike to
            do. Now that we are grown-ups we know that stones *do* quite move, to
            be precise they are moved by Mother Earth. Well, they have their own
            speed. ;-)

            When I was a child I used to walk along the beach searching for
            patrified arms of octopus. After thunderstorms they are easier to
            find we were told. It was always a joy when I found those fossilised
            pieces. You can hang them around your neck. They are more beautiful
            when they are wet, because then they are gleaming like amber. You
            made me curious and I googled them: they were even used as medicine
            against lumbago �" I should have kept some? ;-)

            I think of you whenever I feed 'my' little Indian child basmati rice
            with my hands. I had to get used to it; it is a little art to get the
            grains without any accident into this sweet little mouth, that
            obediently opens when asked to. But since this little soul decided to
            live in the West I feel free to teach her how to use a spoon as well.

            You said, "Do you ever share my longing to scoop up all the people
            who are stressed out, all those who scrape a
            living in city slums or who face fear and danger each day living in
            war zones - to bring them to wherever I happen to be feasting on
            nature's beauty and let it feed their souls for a while.

            You made me think about this for quite some time.
            This is possibly your mother-heart speaking (I know one does not have
            to have children to have motherlike qualities).

            Like you and many others I love nature's beauty. But as a spiritual
            person I know from Sri Chinmoy's teachings that it cannot give us
            realisation or abiding satisfaction. It gives me tremendous
            inspiration and I am longing to find her beauty at all places in the
            world.

            I am not a big city person but I am sure beauty can be found also in
            slums or at places wherever the beauty of the heart, that is
            represented by flowers and children, is alive. Whenever a child
            smiles a world of beauty unfolds.

            If people care for nature's beauty they will have the time and money
            and love to plant flowers around them. I long for people who would do
            that wherever flowers and bushes and trees would make an environment
            more beautiful, not to think of environmental reasons.

            I am currently rereading Sri Chinmoy's book A Child's Heart and A
            Child's Dreams". Here is an excerpt (unofficial):

            "A true child lives all the time in the heart, whereas a grown-up is
            all the time in the mind. In the mind there is no love. Real love can
            be found only inside the flower-heart. The flower-heart tries all the
            time to make others happy. Because God has the flower-heart of a
            child, he is trying all the time to make us happy. A child's flower-
            heart is a divine heart. If we remain in the outer world, we see
            children as ordinary human beings. But if we go within, then we
            immediately see that children embody all the divine qualities of God.
            At that time we see children as true miracles �" as divine instruments, as flowers of God…"

            Question: Do children see more beauty than grown-ups do?

            Sri Chinmoy: "Yes, children always see more beauty than grown-ups do,
            because children remain more in the heart and the soul. Because of
            their tremendous inner purity, even in darkness they see beauty and
            light. When the mind is developed, this undivine mind immediately
            tries to see impurity even in light, even in wisdom, even in
            something progressive. The human mind gets satisfaction by seeing
            ugliness. But a child does not use the mind. He takes everything as
            his very own, so he sees beauty in everyone and in everything. He
            feels that there is nothing which is absolutely undivine, which is
            perfectly true."

            So nature's beauty may remind us of our heart's childlike qualities.
            There is so much more to say…

            I liked what Shane wrote in Self-Improvement Blog: Sri Chinmoy
            Inspiration:

            http://tinyurl.com/6425ov

            And Daily Wisdom From Sri Chinmoy �" Experience and Realisation:

            http://tinyurl.com/6rkye4

            ~ ~ ~

            "Let us take life as it comes.
            If we test our strength
            By pulling and pushing life,
            Then we will altogether lose
            The flower-beauty of life."

            -Sri Chinmoy
            http://tinyurl.com/5xco9m

            There is a lot more to read by Sri Chinmoy about the flower-heart-
            beauty at:

            http://tinyurl.com/4fjhb6

            ~ ~ ~

            Thank you Durga-Mata to inspire me to think and read more about the
            deeper meaning of nature's beauty.

            Doris
          • dmchaudhurani
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11 8:57 AM
              Hello Doris,

              So much to think about/meditate on in this reply. I'm at my Mum's
              again - the best thing about working in Norfolk is I come here most
              weekends. But I'm late for leaving to go to London. Just quickly
              checking emails and Inspiration Site. I'll read your post again with
              more time, later.

              Mum took me to a bluebell wood yesterday. The sweep of blue
              stretching away under the trees was breathtaking. then today it was
              her turn to 'do the flowers' at her Quaker Meeting. She had
              bluebells, blue lungwort, blue alconet and blue forget-me-not. Last
              weekend her garden was rich with the last cherry blossom and apple-
              blossom. Leaves were still unfolding on many of the trees. We've had
              a week of summer heat and this weekend all that blossom has finished
              and all the trees are in full leaf - and the lilac blossom is out.
              The scent of it envelops the whole garden.

              I do agree that children have an eye for beauty and it can be found
              anywhere - but I still thank God for nature's beauty and the peace
              of this corner of heaven.

              love

              Durga-Mata
            • dmchaudhurani
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11 9:04 AM
                thankyou Nirmala,

                The dust of my Master's Feet and the air that he breathed are indeed
                part of our Mother Earth, but the Real in Him is without the limits
                of space and time. And we will see him and be with him again. And we
                are of him and for him alone and we can depend on him forever, in
                this life and in all our lives to come.

                That is the meditation I treasure,

                All my love

                Durga-Mata
              • nirmalapoems
                Message 7 of 7 , May 12 10:25 AM
                  Dear Durga-Mata

                  You certainly wrote this message with great ease and joy. It sweetens
                  my heart. On Mother's Day you must feel very great with your soul's
                  name Durga. I just came home from a splendid Joy-Day. I am renewed
                  from head to the toes. The Joy-Day we just had over the Pentecost,
                  was full of surprises and nourishing stories from various walks of life.

                  Very fine is the line of the moment, yet in the moment itself is every
                  thing you are looking for, therefore stay always in you middle.

                  With love

                  Nirmala