running

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      I have been so inspired by Uttpal's blog of our multi day runners!

      My short running story does not reach anywhere near that calibre,
      but none the less, here it is.

      I suppose it's not a story really, rather just a recounting of this
      morning's events.

      Today was the first day of our school's running club which is
      training for the children's 3 mile part of our city's upcoming
      Father's day marathon.

      I'm sure that I have mentioned here before that I am by no stretch
      of the imagination a runner, but I knew that Guru would want me to
      be a part of our running club if for nothing else, for my own self
      transcendence.

      I approached the morning with some trepidation; embarassed by my
      lack of skills, afraid that the other teachers and some of the
      children would think "What's she doing here?"

      Thankfully it was a bright, sunny, cool, morning; nothing like the
      torrential downpours recently seen in New York.
      Perfect running weather.
      So, sporting running shoes, sweats, and a favorite sweatshirt with
      Guru's birds on it, I set out.

      I soon realised that I had no need to fear. It was wonderful!
      Everyone was just out to have fun and encourage each other. Children
      as young as 7 years old came out and ran a mile. It was fun to chat
      with different students as we jogged along; finding out a little
      more about their lives, helping them out when they tripped over
      uneven pavement, encouraging them when they wanted to quit; and
      having them encourage me when I felt winded.

      I was certainly not the fastest runner, but the joy of the oneness
      of running made it wonderful.

      I also realised that we have a few up and coming long distance
      runners.

      One of these runners is a boy named Zack. He is 11, and he has the
      sweetest, kindest soul. He went out and gave it his all and truly
      had the attitude of self transcendence. It gave him such joy that on
      the first day he already did better than his best time last year,
      and he wanted to see how much further he could go this year. He
      absolutely embodies the quality of humility, and is always
      encouraging to his slower teammates. He wants to compete only with
      himself. What a wonderful example for the whole team.

      We go out again tomorrow.Pray for good weather and wish me luck!

      In Guru's running heart!

      Purnakama
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2008
        Hi Purnakama,
        I enjoyed this story and am remembering your talk here a while back
        about running trips to a peace mile near you. Did you end up visiting
        it as often as you hoped to back when you wrote about it? That your
        health has improved with network chiropractic to sufficiently enable
        you to do more running than before is exciting news. Good Luck on your
        unfolding self-transcendence journey.

        Sharani
      • purnakama2000
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2008
          Hi Sharani,

          No, I have not gotten out to our Peace mile as often as I have
          wanted,mainly due to time constraints as it is not so close, but just
          the fact that I am able to run at all is a small miracle for me. I was
          out again with the students this morning and I was able to do 2 and a
          1/2 km before school.That's 1/2 a km better than last week.
          I know to most that sounds like nothing, but to me it's like climbing
          Mt Everest! Even my chiropractor was shocked when I told him,
          considering what shape I was in when I first saw him.

          But running with the children gives me extra joy. Seeing their joy,
          their oneness and their encouragement of each other helps me to feel
          Guru so powerfully in them. It's a true blessing, even if I'm the
          slowest one out there!

          Purnakama