Sri Chinmoy's talk on gratitude

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
      Dear friends, this talk by Sri Chinmoy was published in the book "Sri
      Chinmoy Answers, part 1" in 1995.

      Here is the link to it:
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1064/30/

      And here is the talk itself. I found it while looking for a particular
      poem, and I feel it is most significant, not only for Sri Chinmoy's
      students, but for any seeker who is aspiring for conscious oneness
      with the Supreme.

      Gratitude

      Sri Chinmoy gave the following talk on gratitude on 16 January 1994.

      A glass mirror is brittle. If it drops, it breaks into pieces. But I
      have come to realise that a mirror has a longer lifespan than the
      gratitude of human beings. In order for a mirror to break, it has to
      drop either from Heaven or from a few feet above the ground. So it
      takes time-a few seconds. But it does not take even a fleeting second
      for human ingratitude to come to the fore.

      If anything can disappear sooner than the soonest from our heart, then
      that thing is nothing other than our gratitude. Again, if anything on
      earth is really beautiful, really meaningful and really fruitful, if
      anything on earth can sustain our golden connecting link with God, our
      Source, then that very thing is also gratitude. Dear ones, I am
      telling you, if you have an iota of sincere gratitude and if you
      preserve that gratitude as the most precious thing in your life, then
      the breath of that gratitude will keep you alive in the Heart of God,
      your Lord Supreme. You people misbehave and torture your Master in so
      many ways; sometimes you even want to give up the spiritual life. But
      I assure you, if you keep gratitude alive in your heart, the beauty
      and fragrance of that divine quality will save you from your spiritual
      downfall and destruction.

      I am speaking about sincere gratitude-the kind of gratitude whose
      living presence you can only feel inside your heart. If you feel that
      gratitude is your inner name and also your outer name, if you feel
      that your only name is gratitude, then immediately your gratitude will
      jump to the fore and establish its inseparable oneness with your
      God-oneness-reality.

      Gratitude is a most powerful weapon in your life. There is nothing
      undivine that you cannot get rid of by virtue of the gratitude in your
      life. Again, there is nothing divine in your life that you cannot
      increase in boundless measure on the strength of your gratitude. There
      is only one thing that you need in order to increase your divinity,
      and that thing is gratitude. If every day you consciously strengthen
      your gratitude-not to Sri Chinmoy but to the Supreme, who is your
      Guru, my Guru and everybody's Guru-you will see how much progress you
      will make and how many wrong forces you will be able to get out of
      your system. I tell you, all the physical, vital, mental and emotional
      fever that you are suffering from comes from the fact that you have
      lost your heart's gratitude-breath. If your heart's gratitude-breath
      is functioning well, then keep it so forever. This is unmistakably the
      right way to run fast, faster, fastest to the destined Goal.

      Gratitude is not a mere word; it is not a mere concept. It is the
      living breath of your real existence on earth. There is nothing that
      God will not do for you if you really treasure the gratitude-breath
      inside your aspiring heart. Please, please, to each and every one of
      you I am telling this: If you want to run the fastest, then discard
      the thing that is delaying you. The thing that is making you lame or
      paralysed in your spiritual life is ingratitude. If you can always
      maintain your gratitude-breath, then nothing can stand in your way and
      nobody can prevent you from doing the right thing and becoming the
      right person: the most perfect instrument of our Lord Beloved Supreme.

      Gratitude, gratitude and gratitude. The soul you do not know; the
      Supreme you do not know. And at this stage in your spiritual
      development you do not have to know them. But gratitude you do have to
      know if you want to connect yourself with your own Highest, with the
      Supreme. If you want to connect yourself with the Real in you, then
      your gratitude-breath you have to claim as your own, very own.

      with gratitude, Kamalakanta
    • nirmalapoems
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
        Dear Kamalakanta

        ... it does not take even a fleeting second
        for human ingratitude to come to the fore.
        Gratitude is not a mere word; it is not a mere concept. It is the
        living breath of your real existence on earth...

        What a talk! I really read these words or even drink it, they are
        so urgent for us to know and re-know.

        With great admiration

        Nirmala
      • louisanaturelle
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2008
          Gratitude to all of you who are making their best to keep our Guru's
          wonderful work going!
          Deep Love and Gratitude,
          Luiza