aj agamanir

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15 6:39 PM
      Hi all,

      Just wondering if anyone has a translation for Aj Agamanir, or has a
      general idea as to its meaning.

      You know how sometimes a song, for whatever reason becomes very
      important to you? Just lately this one has been coming into my
      consciousness a lot.

      I can't tell you how many times I've watched Guru singing it on the
      DVD of the concert in Christchurch. It is so very powerful!

      I cannot find it in the Sri Chinmoy songs archive, so if anyone knows
      anything about this song or even what songbook it might be in I'd
      greatly appreciate it.

      Purnakama
    • rintu_chakravarthy
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2008
        Hi,
        I've been wanting to reply to your post for some time now, but other
        priorities deprived the opportunity. Finally here I am....

        I heard Sri Chinmoy sing this song (on a audio CD), soon after I
        came to the path. It captured my heart and I started to learn it
        immediately by just listening to the CD over and over again. Then,
        during one of my trips to Kolkata, I found a tape of "aagamani"
        songs (containing this song too) sung by a choir. I presented it to
        Guru during a Christmas Trip, when I had the opportunity to sing the
        song with Guru too!

        The word "aagamani" in Bengali literally means 'welcome song'.
        The "aagamani" songs are a genre of devotional songs in Bengal,
        composed by many poets, known and unknown. They are dedicated to the
        Goddess Durga - sung as invocations to Her arrival, just prior to
        start of the Durga Puja fortnight. The lyrics also adore nature and
        its beauty during this season. Being associated to an yearly
        festival, they are not as popular as "shyama sangeet".

        A rough translation of the song is noted below.

        Aaj aagamanir aabahane, ki sur uthilo beje...
        Today, at the invocation of The Goddess (Durga or Uma), what a
        beautiful melody is playing! The Compassionate Mother is beckoning
        us after adoring Herself with our cordial welcome song.

        Bhora bhadare bhora nadi.......
        The river brimming with the showers of the month of Bhadra is
        flowing incessantly in rhythmic music. Clapping in the melody of
        that music, the waves/ripples are dancing away.

        Purabo dipaka aratir.....
        The north-lights are waving like an 'arati', caught in the cloud-
        nets. The direction-child seems to play with vermillon on the
        crimson-hued fore-head of the sky.

        Ghashero bukete shishiro......
        The dew in the heart of the grass, will touch the lotus-coloured
        Feet of The Mother. The Earth has blossomed in all green to offer
        itself as the verdant-green saree of The Mother.

        Hope it makes some sense to you. Its difficult to really translate
        these songs, for each metaphor and simile has many many layers of
        meaning(s). So much so, the english translation may seem awkward. I
        tried my best with my limited knowledge of both languages (english
        and bengali).

        I'm not sure if this song is in any song-book. Its a traditional
        song like 'Tumi Nirmalo-karo' or 'Ami Phiri Ogo' or 'Ogo Sundaro'
        or 'Shamukhe Shanti Paarabaar' that Guru sang/played. Stalwarts like
        Radha, Tanima or Sundari might be able to throw more light, if Guru
        ever translated them Himself.

        I've never seen the DVD and would like to know which one exactly it
        is. (Kedar or Mridanga production?)

        Enjoy and be in joy,
        Rintu

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Just wondering if anyone has a translation for Aj Agamanir, or has
        > general idea as to its meaning.
        >
        > You know how sometimes a song, for whatever reason becomes very
        > important to you? Just lately this one has been coming into my
        > consciousness a lot.
        >
        > I can't tell you how many times I've watched Guru singing it on
        the
        > DVD of the concert in Christchurch. It is so very powerful!
        >
        > I cannot find it in the Sri Chinmoy songs archive, so if anyone
        knows
        > anything about this song or even what songbook it might be in I'd
        > greatly appreciate it.
        >
        > Purnakama

      • purnakama2000
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2008
          Rintu, a thousand thank you's!

          What a beautiful translation, and not at all awkward. Having the
          translation brings a whole new life to this song and makes it all
          that more meaningful and powerful. I always felt a power in my soul
          whenever I heard it or sang it, but now my mind can be part of the
          song journey and can help to bring its power and soulfulness to the
          fore.

          Guru sings this song on a Kedar video; Christchurch Christmas Trip
          2002/03 part 1. The whole video is sublime, but it was worth buying
          it just to see Guru perform that one song.

          I would have loved to hear you perform this with Guru. I know that I
          have mentioned this before on this site, but I appreciate like
          anything the gift of singing that you were able to give Guru. You
          gave him such a deep joy when you sang with him and for him, and
          those of us who were lucky enough to be in the audience were
          grateful to have shared in that joy.

          Now I must go and print out this translation so that I can absorb
          its beautiful meaning.

          Gratitude,

          Purnakama
        • dmchaudhurani
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5, 2008
            Hello Rintu,
            It's lovely to read your post and find that this song is linked to me
            through my Soul's Name. Now I'm impatient to hear and learn it.

            You have been busy - which explains perhaps why no continuing series
            of posts. (Personal Pearls I think you called them.) I'm sure many of
            us were enjoying the inspiring stories you were posting earlier in the
            year. Now it's May. The year is racing past. But I hope you will find
            time to write more of your personal-experience stories, which will in
            turn inspire more people to share their treasured memories.

            You inspired me to write my Gratitude-Blossoms series but I've not
            written one of them for a while. So you not-writing for some time is
            inspiring me to think about my next one. I too am very busy at the
            moment but I will try to make time for it - just because I know how
            your stories inspire me. And rather than writing about something
            inspiring and nice that is happening now I will try to find time to
            meditate and share a personal pearl, as you have so well, which
            recounts some inspiring incident with Guru.

            When I am with disciple brothers and sisters - or even just with
            friends who love Guru, we often share stories and anecdotes about our
            experiences with him. It would be lovely to read more of these on
            Inspiration and have a way of sharing and recording them while they
            are still fresh in our memories. Is anyone collecting stories like these?

            I hope you will be able to find time soon for another 'Personal Pearl.
            Thankyou again for the translation of "aagamani."

            All the best in everything,

            Durga-Mata
          • shivaramgi
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2008
              The song Aaj Aaagamanii rabahone keshur uthilo boye - This is a
              traditional Bengali song welcoming Mother Goddess as a young girl at
              the beginning of Durgapooja which is the biggest festival in all of
              Bengal - I used to know somewhat but know only some lines (not a
              Bengali mother tongue) - you may even get the text in the internet

              Every Bengali knows this song - Ask Mahatapa or Rintu - ( It may be be
              describing the ochre coloured dawn on that day - not sure
            • sunabin_mamayev
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                Hello Rintu!

                I had been browsing Sri Chinmoy Inspiration looking for Aj agamanir song until I found your wonderful post. It would be very kind of you to post the entire lyrics also, I couldn't find the song anywhere on the Internet.

                Thanks,
                Sunabin.

                PS. Hi all! It has been a few years since the last time I posted anything here, due to little time and slow Inet connections! Great to be back. ;-)
              • cott.doris
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                • purnakama2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Thank you Doris for this link!

                    I just came home from our class and came to the site and immediately listened to it.
                    It is absolutely one of my favorites, and Guru sings it with such soulful power!

                    In fact I think it was me who asked about the translation and then Rintu kindly replied.

                    I must listen again before going to sleep:)

                    Purnakama
                  • sunabin_mamayev
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 9, 2010
                      It must be a real gem to be picked out of so many traditional Bengali songs! I tried to take down the words from the recording, but failed...
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 10, 2010
                        Dear all,

                        Rintu, from Singapore, used to sing this song with Sri Chinmoy. They would sing together some of Tagore's songs...

                        Here is a link to Rintu singing it:

                        http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/radio/295/

                        it is track 12, Rintu 16 October....

                        with gratitude, Kamalakanta
                      • cott.doris
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 11, 2010
                          ...and I thank you, Purnakarma, for asking about it. I shall ask Kedar for the video. When you open the link and scroll down you will be able to reread the posts (I still can't get used to the "new" version of the Inspiration-Group site).

                          Thank you, Kamalakanta, for posting the link Rintu singing for Sri Chinmoy the song Aj Agamanir and other songs. I met Rintu on a Christmas trip some years back, he is a simple, very kindhearted person.

                          It is one of many gems Guru ever wrote and composed. I had bookmarked the song, and so found it very quickly. Thank you, Sunabin, for reminding us of it. I too tried to write down the words but it is difficult to understand them properly.

                          Doris
                        • purnakama2000
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 11, 2010
                            Thank you Kamalakanta for posting all of these.
                            It was cathartic to listen to them all again.
                            Most especially Sahadeva's group singing "Our dearest Guru,no farewell, no farewell..."

                            yours in music,

                            Purnakama
                          • purnakama2000
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 12, 2010
                              Hi Doris,

                              The video that I was speaking of was not one done by Kedar, although I would like to know if Kedar has a video of the Christchurch concert where I saw Guru perform this.
                              I believe the video I have was done by Shardul and I only have it on VHS so I can no longer watch it.

                              I'll be back in Germany this summer, so perhaps we'll see each other at Pujaloy:)

                              Purnakama