Re: How Often, (Saturday Race Prayers)

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 14, 2008
      I was so happy to see you there Durga Mata!
      I did not get to speak with you, but I saw you glowing during our
      walking meditation on Sunday.

      I have the same difficulty as you with our school holidays not
      coinciding with Celebrations, and I have to do some interesting
      acrobatics to get there even for 3 days, but I have never regretted
      for a second doing those acrobatics, because Guru can give you what
      you need in as little or as much time as you have.

      I'm sure that you went back to England beaming from ear to ear!

      Purnakama
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 19, 2008
        Hi Doris,
        Since you had recently offered to send me the sheet music to the new
        happy birthday song written by Guru last September, I wanted to let
        you know I just got a copy of it. There is an article about this song
        in the second issue of the newsletter edited by Projjwal called
        "Inspiration-Sun." Although this is the second issue, it is the first
        time I see it. I bought it at the sideshow and am still reading all
        the fascinating articles inside it. I learned in this new issue about
        the first time Guru started playing the Western Flute in Australia in
        1975 and how a kangaroo was mesmerized by his playing when they were
        at a nature sanctuary.

        There are so many fascinating articles like this one about the history
        of Guru's flute playing and Tanima wrote an article about the
        composition of the Happy Birthday song on September 23rd - the last
        song he taught at the 3100-mile race course. She said the new
        tradition will be to sing the first happy birthday song with the
        rainbow dreams lyrics, then the new My Birthday song with the rays in
        it and lastly the traditional Happy Birthday song. Have you seen the
        newsletter too? Now I'm wondering how I can get a copy of the first one...

        Sharani
      • cott_doris
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 21, 2008
          Dear Sharani,

          I sent the birthday song two days ago by air-mail to you.

          The first issue of Inspiration-Sun has been sent to you today. Yes, I
          received the second issue. I was happy to read Tanima's account.

          Liked your post about the original bird drawing...#22490 :-)

          Doris
        • dmchaudhurani
          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2008
            Hello Purnakama,

            Thankyou for your sweet message,

            I've not had much time to read Inspiration lately so I had missed this
            Post - and one by Nirmala. I am short of time so I hope you can take
            my reply to her as also a reply for you.

            The only time I've ever come to New York like this before, during
            term-time, was one weekend in June, some years ago. I will try to
            write about it in more detail sometime as it was very special. But the
            funny part of it was that on the Saturday night at Aspiration Ground,
            having arrived that afternoon and half asleep from jet lag, I slipped
            while stepping down from one bench to another on the bleachers, when
            Guru called for Prasad. I hurt my toe.

            I had come by Air France - the only flight that could get me to New
            York on Saturday and back for school on Monday - The flight back from
            New York was delayed so I couldn't catch my connecting flight from
            Paris to Birmingham Airport.

            In a panic I phoned my son and asked him to ring my school and say I'd
            slipped and hurt my foot, so I couldn't drive. He said that I was in
            London still, getting it checked at casualty. It gave me the perfect
            excuse to be late to school. Later that week, when I did indeed get it
            x-rayed, it turned out that I had broken my toe. So everyone at school
            was very sympathetic. I limped around with a very special secret smile
            in my heart. If I'd not slipped on the bleachers I would have been in
            a lot more trouble.

            Have you ever had to come up with an unexpected reason for being late
            like that?

            With love

            Durga-Mata
          • purnakama2000
            Message 5 of 18 , May 10, 2008
              Great story Durga Mata!

              I have had some very interesting things happen with regards to
              coming to NY.

              In Canada we have a holiday called Labour Day, the first weekend in
              September, and schools in many provinces do not start the school
              year until after this weekend. My province was an exception.
              We always started sometime in the last week of August just before
              the Labour day long weekend.

              My first several years going to August Celebrations we started late
              enough that I could still go for Guru's birthday, and still make it
              back to start school on time.
              Sometimes I would arrive home on Midnight of the 28th and have to
              get up and start the new school year the next day!

              One year I was not so lucky and we had to start school on the 26th
              of August. I was tortured! I had to miss Guru's birthday, or I would
              lose my job. As you know schools are very strict about extending a
              holiday.
              I didn't know what to do. I couldn't miss Guru's birthday, but I had
              to go back.
              I was told that in the past exceptions were made for teachers who
              really had no choice, but I was still tortured.

              With a very heavy heart I left Celebrations early and went back to
              school.

              But then, a miracle happened.

              When I got back to school I found out that our Provincial Government
              had changed it's policy, and that starting the next school year, our
              schools would not begin until after Labour Day, which meant that I
              would never have to miss Guru's birthday again; and I never have.

              I am forever grateful for a few forward thinking politicians!

              When I see you in August, please remind me to tell you the story of
              Guru's 40th April 13th Celebrations, my father's death, and the
              craziness and miracles that occurred as both of these events
              coincided when I was supposed to be in school:)

              Purnakama