Re: How Often

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 6 9:26 AM
      Dear Doris,
      The serendipity about birthdays and birthday songs multiplies. In the
      message below you wrote about your precious and joyful discovery that
      Guru wrote a song about birthdays on your actual birthday - September
      23rd - less than three weeks before his mahasamadhi. Part of the
      reason that I start this post with the word serendipity and uncanny
      coincidence is because I was there when Guru taught the song to
      Parvati's singing group as they stood on the sidewalk near where our
      weekly 2 mile races finish. It was after he went for an early morning
      drive along the 3100 mile race route.

      I had a very sweet experience while he was teaching it and in a reply
      thanking you for wishing me a happy belated birthday, I wrote back to
      you about this song -- not knowing that it was written on your actual
      birthday. In message #20660 on October 10th I wrote to you,

      "Recently Sri Chinmoy composed a new birthday song in an early morning
      meditation with Parvati's singing group near the finish line of our 2
      mile races in Queens. I do not remember the words exactly but it
      starts "My birthday (4 times) then something like From God's heart to
      my heart he gives me a special ray. Later on I heard that it was
      Parvati's birthday on that day. The sun was rising and reflecting off
      the windows of the school behind them and through my glasses the light
      was refracting with rays that went straight into Sri Chinmoy's heart
      and mine, etc. Way cool serendipity. I imagine this new song will
      eventually be established in the canon of birthday songs sung in the
      centre. It's quite nice."

      I looked it up today and see that I was wrong when I wrote last
      October that the 23rd was Parvati's birthday - hers was the prior
      Thursday. I liked the song so much that I tried to get someone to
      teach it to me (unsuccessfully) and as best I could recall it then
      sang it to myself while out walking on my actual birthday a couple of
      weeks later.

      Now I think it is entirely possible that Guru offered me this
      experience so that I could eventually share it with you - that it is
      for you to feel that you were standing there and seeing the rays of
      light (the sun) beaming into your heart and his. God sure is wise and
      kind simultaneously.

      Sharani
      p.s. can you send me the sheet music to the song off board?
    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 8 11:45 AM
        Dearest Sharani,

        I was happy to read that your job will exist at least for another
        year. During a year there is so much water running down the river...
        as we say in German. "The votes of your heart" made me smile...and
        don't forget the poem.

        I too started with a second job. I can't believe it myself - I am a
        nanny of two sweet Indian children, five and two years old. The main
        language they speak is English, but the boy is happy when I speak
        German with him. (You can find us watching English children channel
        from time to time). Sometimes he speaks Hindi with his little sister
        and I clearly see I have to learn Hindi to the
        boys' "disappointment." He is of the opinion he would like to speak
        with his sister without me to understand. :-) One can say West meets
        East - East meets West. It is an interesting exchange.

        As for serendipity, I meet with so many coincidences that I sometimes
        smilingly shake my head and just wonder... But your message about the
        new birthday song was kind of overwhelming. (Sorry, if my report
        wasn't 100% correct; Guru was back to New York when he composed the
        song and not in Russia anymore).

        How often do I think of the place where Guru gave a race-prayer, it
        was always so special. A tiny man would be sitting in his car and
        slowly and soulfully take the mic from Rupantar meditating and then
        start to compose a poem while others would repeat it and again others
        like me would perhaps still be gasping for breath after running two
        miles. Many people would be gathering around the car and at the end
        Guru would give prasad for everybody.

        After reading your message I clearly saw myself standing next to you
        and in a spontaneous feeling of gratitude I looked and smiled at you.
        It was such an overwhelming joy to feel and see Guru and to allow the
        sun to enter my heart.

        Guru was and is pleasing us in so many ways. But I would love to
        please HIM! Birthdays remind us of our promise why we came down to
        earth. I so much like reading stories by Sri Chinmoy in which the
        Cosmic Gods and Goddesses are involved. These stories somehow give my
        own life a wider perspective. (Reminds me of a touching story about a
        poor old man who was a devotee of Krishna. These are of course my
        personal recollections: The man was so poor that Krishna out of
        compassion left a gold coin in front of his house. But this man was
        so absorbed in his prayers that he oversaw it).

        Guru wrote something about God's Birthday but I can't find it
        anymore. It was something like God was born on a particular day and
        year but God's actual Birthday is birthless and deathless etc.
        (Perhaps it is to be found in the Questions and Answers series).

        Well, before I start small talking I better stop here. Only one more
        thing. At the memorial week in October 2007 I was happy to meet a
        fellow student from New York who is also celebrating her birthday on
        that particular day Guru composed the new birthday song. She came up
        the stairs at Aspiration-Ground and I couldn't resist to say hello
        and whispering, "I am so happy to see you", she smiled and whispered
        back, "Thank you." I remember there is a video on which Guru calls
        her on the phone on her birthday and sings Ekbal Shudhu Bhalo. I so
        much love it.

        Wishing you happy celebrations

        Doris

        P.S. It is my pleasure to send you the music and lyrics of the song.
        Either I will ask someone to scan it or will send it by mail -
        honoring the good old times.
      • cott_doris
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 9 1:54 PM
          It wasn't actually Guru singing Ekbal Shudhu Bhalo but his women
          students in the background.

          Guru was praising the cucumber.

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10 7:15 PM
            Dear Doris,
            I was touched by your moving description of Guru giving race prayers
            at the finish line of the Saturday morning races. I have only been to
            a Saturday morning race once since when he was still on earth and I
            must confess it was a bit of an emotional hurdle. Luckily time heals
            all. I'm thrilled you were able to visualize being there for the
            teaching of the song. Hearing that really lifted me.

            Your new second job as a nanny sounds delightful. I think you are
            quickly turning into a real polyglot! I will miss not seeing you in NY
            this April. I hope you are able to come sometime soon.

            love,
            Sharani
          • cott_doris
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11 2:07 PM
              "Time heals all
              They say.
              But I say, "No!"
              It's love - divine.

              In love
              There is no past,
              There is no future,
              It's all now.
              It heals all
              I know."

              Thank you

              Doris
            • dmchaudhurani
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11 6:31 PM
                My own favourite Saturday Race Prayer experience happened in
                about
                2002. I was in New York early as part of the Housing Team,
                cleaning and preparing houses for the Celebrations. We had
                just about finished and Celebrations were about to start. I
                think it was 8th August.

                On the Friday I had phoned home. There were some tricky
                problems. I was afraid I would have to go home to sort them
                out and I would miss Celebrations. As a result I went to the
                race in tears. I was late and the runners had already
                started, but Guru's car was parked by the sidewalk. I stood
                on the opposite side just looking at Guru and crying and
                crying. I couldn't stop the tears. I did not want to go. I
                did not want to leave Guru's presence. I couldn't see Guru
                clearly because the light reflected on the car window with
                the reflection of the trees, but I could feel that he was
                aware of me. I was trying to meditate but the helpless tears
                continued falling.

                After some time the race ended and Guru gave the prayer. It
                went straight into my heart. Some time later I asked someone
                for a transcript of the prayer. I was surprised and checked
                with other people because all that I had heard was not there.
                It was still a very significant and wonderful prayer and I
                felt it was uniquely mine as it answered my grief so
                directly.

                I think it was later, at Aspiration Ground , that Guru set
                this prayer to music and made it a song. I have tried to get
                the music ever since and some day I will get it and learn it
                as a song. But for now I just try to include this prayer
                regularly in my meditations. (If I have made a mistake,
                please correct me and if you know the music please share it
                with me.)

                I will write this most sacred prayer here and then write the
                extra lines that I 'heard' but were not heard by anyone else.

                Surrender, surrender, surrender,
                I must surrender
                My life, my heart and my very breath
                To the Will of my Lord Beloved Supreme
                At every moment.
                If I succeed
                Only then will He claim me
                As His Own, very Own.

                (Then the extra lines that I heard were:

                And I will see Him
                And be with Him
                Wherever we may be.

                I was wanting to stay at Guru's presence in New York and not
                have to be away from him geographically. But you can imagine
                how important and significant this prayer has become for me
                now that Guru is no longer in the physical world.)

                Needless to say, Guru also worked a few other miracles at
                that time. I had no outer message from Ashrita but my son
                came to Celebrations a few days later with news that he had
                been able to put the problems on hold so I could deal with
                them when I returned after Celebrations - so I was able to
                stay.

                I have been really longing and crying to come to the Holy
                Ground this April. Easter was early so the school holidays
                did not coincide - and money is difficult at the moment. But
                I believe in miracles and have been praying for one. I'm
                writing this at 2.30 am on April 12th and in a few hours I
                will be going to the airport. I am able to come just for two
                days - so I will be at Aspiration Ground on 13th. There is
                only one word: GRATITUDE.

                Durga-Mata
              • purnakama2000
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 14 5:48 PM
                  I was so happy to see you there Durga Mata!
                  I did not get to speak with you, but I saw you glowing during our
                  walking meditation on Sunday.

                  I have the same difficulty as you with our school holidays not
                  coinciding with Celebrations, and I have to do some interesting
                  acrobatics to get there even for 3 days, but I have never regretted
                  for a second doing those acrobatics, because Guru can give you what
                  you need in as little or as much time as you have.

                  I'm sure that you went back to England beaming from ear to ear!

                  Purnakama
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 19 2:32 PM
                    Hi Doris,
                    Since you had recently offered to send me the sheet music to the new
                    happy birthday song written by Guru last September, I wanted to let
                    you know I just got a copy of it. There is an article about this song
                    in the second issue of the newsletter edited by Projjwal called
                    "Inspiration-Sun." Although this is the second issue, it is the first
                    time I see it. I bought it at the sideshow and am still reading all
                    the fascinating articles inside it. I learned in this new issue about
                    the first time Guru started playing the Western Flute in Australia in
                    1975 and how a kangaroo was mesmerized by his playing when they were
                    at a nature sanctuary.

                    There are so many fascinating articles like this one about the history
                    of Guru's flute playing and Tanima wrote an article about the
                    composition of the Happy Birthday song on September 23rd - the last
                    song he taught at the 3100-mile race course. She said the new
                    tradition will be to sing the first happy birthday song with the
                    rainbow dreams lyrics, then the new My Birthday song with the rays in
                    it and lastly the traditional Happy Birthday song. Have you seen the
                    newsletter too? Now I'm wondering how I can get a copy of the first one...

                    Sharani
                  • cott_doris
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 21 11:03 AM
                      Dear Sharani,

                      I sent the birthday song two days ago by air-mail to you.

                      The first issue of Inspiration-Sun has been sent to you today. Yes, I
                      received the second issue. I was happy to read Tanima's account.

                      Liked your post about the original bird drawing...#22490 :-)

                      Doris
                    • dmchaudhurani
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                        Hello Purnakama,

                        Thankyou for your sweet message,

                        I've not had much time to read Inspiration lately so I had missed this
                        Post - and one by Nirmala. I am short of time so I hope you can take
                        my reply to her as also a reply for you.

                        The only time I've ever come to New York like this before, during
                        term-time, was one weekend in June, some years ago. I will try to
                        write about it in more detail sometime as it was very special. But the
                        funny part of it was that on the Saturday night at Aspiration Ground,
                        having arrived that afternoon and half asleep from jet lag, I slipped
                        while stepping down from one bench to another on the bleachers, when
                        Guru called for Prasad. I hurt my toe.

                        I had come by Air France - the only flight that could get me to New
                        York on Saturday and back for school on Monday - The flight back from
                        New York was delayed so I couldn't catch my connecting flight from
                        Paris to Birmingham Airport.

                        In a panic I phoned my son and asked him to ring my school and say I'd
                        slipped and hurt my foot, so I couldn't drive. He said that I was in
                        London still, getting it checked at casualty. It gave me the perfect
                        excuse to be late to school. Later that week, when I did indeed get it
                        x-rayed, it turned out that I had broken my toe. So everyone at school
                        was very sympathetic. I limped around with a very special secret smile
                        in my heart. If I'd not slipped on the bleachers I would have been in
                        a lot more trouble.

                        Have you ever had to come up with an unexpected reason for being late
                        like that?

                        With love

                        Durga-Mata
                      • purnakama2000
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 10, 2008
                          Great story Durga Mata!

                          I have had some very interesting things happen with regards to
                          coming to NY.

                          In Canada we have a holiday called Labour Day, the first weekend in
                          September, and schools in many provinces do not start the school
                          year until after this weekend. My province was an exception.
                          We always started sometime in the last week of August just before
                          the Labour day long weekend.

                          My first several years going to August Celebrations we started late
                          enough that I could still go for Guru's birthday, and still make it
                          back to start school on time.
                          Sometimes I would arrive home on Midnight of the 28th and have to
                          get up and start the new school year the next day!

                          One year I was not so lucky and we had to start school on the 26th
                          of August. I was tortured! I had to miss Guru's birthday, or I would
                          lose my job. As you know schools are very strict about extending a
                          holiday.
                          I didn't know what to do. I couldn't miss Guru's birthday, but I had
                          to go back.
                          I was told that in the past exceptions were made for teachers who
                          really had no choice, but I was still tortured.

                          With a very heavy heart I left Celebrations early and went back to
                          school.

                          But then, a miracle happened.

                          When I got back to school I found out that our Provincial Government
                          had changed it's policy, and that starting the next school year, our
                          schools would not begin until after Labour Day, which meant that I
                          would never have to miss Guru's birthday again; and I never have.

                          I am forever grateful for a few forward thinking politicians!

                          When I see you in August, please remind me to tell you the story of
                          Guru's 40th April 13th Celebrations, my father's death, and the
                          craziness and miracles that occurred as both of these events
                          coincided when I was supposed to be in school:)

                          Purnakama