Swiss Championships in the Halfmarathon in Oberriet on March 29, 2008

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      The night had been a short one but we feel no tiredness at all.
      Around noon Lenka closes her big Harry Potter book and we are leaving
      for checking out the place. The race is already in full swing when we
      arrive. Many children are running a 2km race, then a 5km race
      follows, a 10km race and finally the half marathon will start in the
      afternoon.

      The air is filled with a heavy smell of vaseline and camphor oil and
      I have some difficulty to switch from peaceful reading to a
      tumultuous atmosphere — something I admire cats can do so easily;
      this moment they are sleeping in the sun the next moment they jump
      around...or think of lions!!

      My body is also on strike when I imagine to run or be dynamic in any
      way. Anyway, we unload the car without thinking and quickly with the
      enthusiastic help of Lenka the table is set up soon:

      Hand carved African animals are not waiting for long to be admired by
      big and small, we are selling t-shirts from the World Harmony Run in
      Africa, drinks and other foods from Abarita's enterprise.

      Soon the halfmarathon will start. I am moved twice — once when the
      race director who commented over the loudspeaker on the runners for
      hours! already (you know this atmosphere where commentators are
      speaking uninterruptedly praising and mentioning the athletes passing
      by and you hear them miles away...), visits our table just to say
      hello and check everything is alright. He is a very responsible
      person who is also the boss of a company with 600 employees.

      A second time I am moved when our running friend comes to our table
      as well, gives me a gift she actually got; a gesture so natural,
      words are not needed to be shared, she sits down on the ground and
      does some last stretching exercises in a way so confidently as being
      together with her dear family members — modesty incarnate.

      The gun is ready to shoot and there they are running! I am joining
      the crowd left and right to watch them running. The fable about the
      sour grapes the fox cannot reach is not working anymore; I am
      watching like a child dreaming of running again. Patience. And there
      she is coming! Go! Go! I am cheering. I know she is running for
      charity and not for winning. Tears. To see this tiny woman running
      almost invisible among many runners and knowing a bit about her
      biography and her running career warms my heart.

      A poem fragment comes to my mind:

      "Crying heart
      Flying feet
      Limitless speed
      God you feed."
      —Sri Chinmoy
      [unofficial]

      One more lap and she finishes in a time of 1:18:38 — 3rd place.

      Another runner, Goshanakari, from the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team
      finishes in a time of 1:14:?? Happy faces and congratulations to him.

      Not much time has passed by when a tiny lady dressed in a nice suit
      is ready to go on a new journey. Again Lenka and I get a rose from
      her she got after the race — words are failing.

      We have to hurry up to catch the airplane in Zurich in time. There
      she is standing at the check in desk and as we are waiting for her I
      feel like being in a movie. Unfortunately it is reality. I don't like
      farewells.

      Slowly we are walking to the passport control where we are not
      allowed to accompany her any longer. We stop there. She looks down to
      the ground and says quietly, "Thank you all for everything." Friendly
      hugs, final words, we get her card and away she walks without turning
      around.

      Doris
    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
        I never read this poem in any of Sri Chinmoy's books, only therefore
        I feel it is my duty to sign the poem with my full name not to cause
        any misunderstandings. Perhaps I used the wrong wording to make that
        clear. My repeated apology.

        "Crying heart
        Flying feet
        Limitless speed