Sri Chinmoy's Fastest Marathon

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2008
      Tuesday, March 25 is the 29th Anniversary of Sri Chinmoy's fastest
      marathon (26.2 mile or 42 Km) footrace which he ran in Toledo, Ohio.

      On March 25, 1979 he finished the Heart-Watcher's Marathon in a
      brilliant time of 3 hours, 55 minutes, and 7 seconds. This race came
      only three weeks after having completed his very first marathon in
      Chico, California in 4:31:34. In three short weeks, barely enough time
      to recover fully from a marathon, Sri Chinmoy was able to not only
      recover but trained enough to improve his race time by an amazing 36
      minutes!

      This singular feat of self-transcendence and progress in itself is
      enough to amaze and inspire any runner, especially those who wish to
      progress in the marathon distance. But I would not suggest anyone to try to improve their time by that much in three weeks, it is just not likely to happen. To pay due respects to such an astounding feat, I wrote a special poem many years ago that I have occasionally shared here on this forum. I would again like to share it here to celebrate this special anniversary:

      Our Marathon Master
      Chico: 4:31:34:
      You bravely opened
      The marathon-door.

      Toledo: 3:55:07:
      You powerfully smashed
      Obstruction-door
      And sent us all to Heaven.

      For those of you who can run and are inspired to train for the marathon distance, or any distance for that matter, I have written a simple training guide called: 'Seven Steps to a Successful Marathon.'
      This has lots of running advice and inspiration from Sri Chinmoy's
      own writings as well as easy to follow advice from my own experiences at training for and racing marathons for 30 over years. See this link:

      http://www.arpan.us/running/seven-steps-to-a-successful-marathon/

      This particular anniversary and achievement of Sri Chinmoy is of special importance as it represents in dramatic fashion the true commitment to his own philosophy of self-transcendence. Sri Chinmoy has written extensively on self-transcendence as well as having demonstrated this spiritual principle time and again in his own life.

      In one of his earlier talks on the subject, Sri Chinmoy says, "In order to transcend, two things are of paramount importance: our personal effort and God's Grace. By personal effort alone, we cannot transcend ourselves. Again, God's Grace will not do anything unless and until we are receptive. If we can receive God's Grace and properly use it, then only can we reach the Highest. A sincere seeker is transcending his previous reality at every moment. When he transcends, he does not reject anything. The sincere seeker accepts the world as his very own. Like a potter who accepts clay and moulds it into something beautiful, a spiritual seeker accepts the life of ignorance and tries to transform it with his inner wisdom-light."

      Source: http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0121/1/2

      Some of Sri Chinmoy's poems also offer the message of
      self-transcendence in creative ways. This one in particular is of
      special interest in that it mentions the transformation and speed that
      we can achieve in our inner and outer life for our own
      self-transcendence.:

      TRANSCENDENCE

      Self-transcendence
      And
      God-transcendence
      Are the Self-form
      Of the same transcendental Reality.
      �Sri Chinmoy
      [http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0087/1/43%5d

      When I endeavour to fathom
      My self-transcendence
      With my human comatose eyes,
      I see the radical transformation
      Of the devouring tiger in me
      Into the fast-running, sure-winning deer.

      And when I plead with the Supreme
      To elucidate the signification
      Of transcendence, He just smiles
      And declares:

      "Yours is the transcendence-task
      To touch the feet of My creation
      For its fire-pure transformation.
      Yours is the transcendence-goal
      Where the comity of souls have discovered
      Their only haven."
      �Sri Chinmoy
      [http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/0087/1/43%5d

      To celebrate the anniversary of Sri Chinmoy's first marathon three
      weeks ago some of us ran marathons or marathon relays. Others may have
      transcended themselves in other ways or offered their own form of
      aspiration and dutiful respects for such an important and historic
      achievement. Most of us may not be ready for another marathon today as
      we celebrate this personal record of Sri Chinmoy's marathon career,
      but perhaps we can all try to find it in ourselves to understand more
      deeply in our own lives the valuable message of self-transcendence that was embodied in this outstanding achievement 29 years ago.

      May our gratitude for this achievement transcend itself day by day as we celebrate today's anniversary and all the countless achievements
      that Sri Chinmoy offered humanity in all his multifarious fields of
      endeavor.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan

    • hubertfromsalzburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25, 2008
        ...today the Sri Chinmoy Centre Salzburg humbly & gratefully paid
        respects to Guru´s shining achievement with another evening marathon
        (most of us have to start working early in the morning).

        5 people attended this time: Antonia, Anete, Andrea, Harald and me.
        Altogether we completed 3 marathons: girls 1, boys 2.

        Though end of march normally offers spring-like temperatures,
        snowstorms in best blizzard fashion with thunder & lightening,
        followed by temperatures below the freezing point welcomed us this time.

        Nevertheless we experienced the special blessings for this marathon
        over and over again: running in the fresh and soft snow felt like
        running on clouds, time and miles passed quicker than usual, and the
        strong feeling during running that Guru is having all the experiences
        in and through us, just to name a few.

        I must admit that I cherished half-marathon thoughts under the heavy
        load of snow on my arms and face, but after the half-marathon the
        wildest storms subsided and a few steps later we were already
        discussing Harald's new inspiration: a monthly marathon in Salzburg, so to say the "Rainbow Marathon Salzburg" as a regular Centre event, like Centre picnics........

        Gratitude steps ahead of us
        Running - Smiling - Dancing

        hubert
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2008
          Wow Hubert! Thanks a million for such an inspirational and dynamic
          dedication to Guru's achievement today. You are all true divine
          warriors and dedicated runners who can keep the inspiration high among
          all of us who may struggle at times with our training. You remind us
          that we should never forget Guru's tremendous love for and dedication
          to running.

          I hope you can all read my article about Guru's running career in the
          next issue of Self-Transcendence-Fragrance Sports which will come out
          in April. Guru's running and his encouragement of our running embodies
          the essence of his spiritual philosophy in a most dynamic and powerful
          way. The concept of proceeding to the Goal of goals in a speedy and
          energetic way is of paramount importance, just as we are reminded in
          our running disciplines. Also, transcending one's previous
          achievements and not stopping until the goal is won is truly an
          important aspect of Sri Chinmoy's spiritual path as well as his
          running philosophy.

          Hope to see you all in April, running and smiling,
          Arpan
        • hubertfromsalzburg
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2008
            We are very grateful to you Arpan,
            for fueling our inspiration on this site!

            .....this gives me the opportunity to straighten out the lapse from my
            last posting:

            i forgot to mention Cäcilia - a very important member of the girls
            team in this marathon:

            Cäcilia ran the first leg of the girls marathon when the wildest
            storms were raging. fighting the snow and cold she covered 8 miles in
            a speed that amazed all of us: for the whole distance she was
            practically chasing Harald, who happens to be a mere 30 years younger
            then her.

            when i remember right than Guru was also running with cap and gloves
            in Toledo that year - a coincidence?

            smilingly envisioning the next run

            hubert

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Wow Hubert! Thanks a million for such an inspirational and dynamic
            > dedication to Guru's achievement today. You are all true divine
            > warriors and dedicated runners who can keep the inspiration high among
            > all of us who may struggle at times with our training. You remind us
            > that we should never forget Guru's tremendous love for and dedication
            > to running.
            >
            > I hope you can all read my article about Guru's running career in the
            > next issue of Self-Transcendence-Fragrance Sports which will come out
            > in April. Guru's running and his encouragement of our running embodies
            > the essence of his spiritual philosophy in a most dynamic and powerful
            > way. The concept of proceeding to the Goal of goals in a speedy and
            > energetic way is of paramount importance, just as we are reminded in
            > our running disciplines. Also, transcending one's previous
            > achievements and not stopping until the goal is won is truly an
            > important aspect of Sri Chinmoy's spiritual path as well as his
            > running philosophy.
            >
            > Hope to see you all in April, running and smiling,
            > Arpan

          • purna_samarpan
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2008
              Hi Arpan,

              although I knew your seven steps marathon program already I was curious to see your website.

              It was very inspiring to read the list of all the marathons and ultra races you did so far!!!

              What an amazing list!!!

              I just came home from a slow training marathon so your site improved the recovery!

              Grateful

              Purna-Samarpan
            • arpan_deangelo
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2008
                Thank you for the kind words. I apologize for not taking the time to
                recently update my site or my list of marathon/ultra races. I would
                like to eventually make a list of all the races I have done from track
                and field through the Ultras. I think I have over 700 races
                altogether, maybe more. But I say this with only gratitude in my heart
                and a deep appreciation as well for the incredible encouragement and
                radiant examples that my Guru Sri Chinmoy has offered to me and many
                others over the years in regards to running.

                Of course he has also encouraged, inspired and motivated others to do
                accomplish many other things in their lives besides those who relate
                to running. But for me, even though I was not a runner when I came to
                Sri Chinmoy over 36 years ago, I somehow have developed a love for
                running, especially racing. I still love racing even though my times
                have naturally slowed down in my 'old age'. But the amazing energy,
                grace and light I feel when racing gives me the confidence and
                dynamism I need to make progress in other aspects of my life.

                We cannot say enough about Sri Chinmoy's contribution to the running
                world or to our lives of health and spirituality as well. I feel that
                he is still running and enjoys running in and through us as we use our
                bodies to the extent that we are able while we are still on this
                earth. His loving encouragement is still very powerful and I am sure
                many of his disciples feel this quite clearly as they run, sing, work,
                perform music, art and other forms of aspiration and manifestation.

                I hope that through my aging body I can still inspire younger runners
                to keep on trying and achieving. I do not intend to stop running ever
                unless the Supreme decides that my body has had enough. Keep up the
                enthusiasm for running and you will find yourself loving the sport of
                racing as well. Thanks for sharing this inspiration with us here as I
                hope others will keep doing as they experience the joys of running.

                Gratefully,
                Arpan
              • pranam13
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Dear friends

                  Here is my little ultra experience: On the easter weekend I was
                  supposed to finish my second month of the ultra 700 Mile running
                  schedule which as many of you know consist of a last week of 40 Miles
                  Mon-Fri and 70 Miles on the weekend.

                  Guru had organised for some funny experiences along the way.

                  At first on Easter Friday we had a snowstorm which means you run
                  your 45 k on sleet and the storm nearly blew me from my feet. So
                  you can imagine there was plenty of fuel for your mind to work on :-)

                  I did feel though all the time that Guru was with me running in and
                  through me as I had felt so many times during the multidays.

                  The second day was a true blessing from beginning to the end,
                  I was running around our Lake of Zürich (67K). As it was my last
                  part of the whole training phase I did run without any pressure,
                  the weather was great and I felt so much joy, that I kept a
                  constant smile on my face.

                  Listening to a recording of Purushottama performing at the UN was an additional help.

                  I thank Guru first but also my dear brother Shashanka from Geneva
                  who called me one day and said that he went deep within and gave
                  me the message that I can run in the 24 hour race in Basel, but
                  that I should do 180 K !!. After my first shock upon hearing this
                  "message" I did get inspired at least to make a good training.

                  So I would be very happy to be able to see you, Arpan, running
                  with us in Basel and I thank all those ultrarunners who continue
                  to run year after year as we all feel, that through running we can please the Supreme and make spiritual progress.

                  Pranam

                  [Moderator's note: in English capitalisation is usually restricted to names and places, unlike German where nouns may be capitalised as well]
                • smarana31
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Hi Pranam,
                    thank you for sharing your training experience with us.
                    The 700m training schedule is really a tough one, so "ich ziehe meinen
                    Hut vor dir," (I am in deep awe ) when you are doing it to the 10 days
                    race. I guess you are training for the 10 days race, but how can you
                    run then in Basel???

                    Also Diganta-Adhikari, Jeff and myself, we used the Easter Sunday for
                    a 70km run, where we had to fight the odds of weather. First we had
                    strong snowfall and towards the evening we had nice rain.

                    So brother in arms, enjoy your training and do not forget to relax
                    before the race, so that you have some fire left for the race.

                    From a country around the corner
                    Smarana