Sri Chinmoy Multi-Sport Classic in Jindabyne - and Betsy

  • rathin31
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2008
      A week ago Canberra Centre (with help from Sydney and Melbourne
      Centres) held the fourth annual Sri Chinmoy Multi-Sport Classic race
      at Jindabyne. This was the first Joy weekend attended by the latest
      addition to our centre, Betsy. Betsy is a 12-foot aluminum boat with
      a 15-horsepower outboard motor, and features two swiveling bucket
      seats, along with the usual benches (Betsy was originally decked out
      as a fishing boat!). Betsy was purchased only a couple of days before
      the event, and it was with great relief to discover that everything
      about her was shipshape. As half of the 12 legs that make up the race
      are on, or in, the water, Betsy was crucial to the success of the
      event. Betsy helped out with the course marking and water safety. One
      swimmer opted to clamber aboard during the last swim leg, as his
      energy reserves were rather spent.

      The fishing rod holder came in handy for course marking. I can never
      explain what happens to the many metres of rope which go missing
      between events. This time we stocked up on a big 250 metre reel of
      rope. This slipped handily over a piece of broomstick I inserted in
      the rod holder. To drop off a weight for a swim buoy, all that was
      required was to tie the end of the rope to a weight and drop it
      overboard. Anyone who remembers my previous tales of this event will
      recall my sad tales of brand new bundles of rope which tangle
      immediately into huge knots, or trying to tie together enough pieces
      of rope to reach the bottom, as the first piece wasn't long enough,
      both activities for which three hands would be useful. So this new
      setup was a vast improvement. Peter, who set up the big 2.5km
      course, was finished in record time.

      The only glitch was not checking the fuel tank beforehand, and running
      out of fuel! Fortunately I had had a little sense, and had brought a
      jerry can of petrol. And fortunately Peter had the sense to notice that the 10 litre can was about a third full, in absence of any measurement markings. 2-stroke motor aficionados will know that is necessary to mix the correct proportion of oil in with the petrol to ensure smooth operation. If you want to know the difference between a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke, ask Aryavan next time you see him!

      You can read the official race report at
      http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/au/events/jindabyne/sri_chinmoy_multisport_race_report08
      and see the photo gallery at
      http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/gallery/australia/jindabyne2008/

      Rathin