Spirituality

  • joimethod
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
      I am new to the group and I have a question. I would like to know what
      does Spirituality mean or what does it mean to you? I have seen many
      different definitions online or in books but I would like to get a
      better understanding of it

      Thanks
    • adhiratha
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2008
        I sometimes read these posts for a few minutes between activities to
        harvest some inspiration at the end of the day. I also skip around in
        the Sri Chinmoy centre website to feed my curiosity or inner need for
        quiet connection stories.

        Tonight I ended up at Jogyata's site - a personal favorite.

        While reading his presentation on "seven secrets" I immediately
        remembered earlier reading your question on spirituality.

        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/jogyata/seven_secrets/secret1
        <http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/jogyata/seven_secrets/secret1%2\
        0%20>

        I truly hope this secret Jogyata presents is helpful in your
        understanding of spirituality.

        When I first came upon Sri Chinmoy's writing I was also taken by a
        longing to understand. The word that captured my heart and imagination
        was "aspiration". I knew that I did not know what it meant in the
        "spiritual" sense but I knew that I wanted to understand. That longing
        for clarity turned out to be one of my life's greatest blessings.

        Your longing to understand "spirituality" I believe resonates with many
        posting or visiting this site as well as
        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/sri_chinmoy
        <http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/sri_chinmoy> .

        Sincerely - Adhiratha
        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, joimethod <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > I am new to the group and I have a question. I would like to know what
        > does Spirituality mean or what does it mean to you? I have seen many
        > different definitions online or in books but I would like to get a
        > better understanding of it
        >
        > Thanks

      • jadrankagrbic
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
          Hello,

          I am sorry I cannot recognise your name.

          Among all of Sri Chinmoy's books, "The Yoga and the Spiritual Life"
          helped me the most to present spirituality to the seekers and the new
          disciples. You can find many simple explanations what spiritual life
          means and how to proceed along the way to the union with God.

          For me, personally, spirituality means changing myself to the better
          one, transforming myself in the way of becoming more aware of other
          people and their needs and not to be focused only at my little selfish
          being, who craves for something to replace the essential thing that we
          all need and miss LOVE, Divine Love, Universal Love, inside ourselves
          first and then from others.

          Spirituality means acceptance of life in general, then the acceptance
          of the personal life experience, no matter how circumstances are
          difficult or easy; the acceptance of God first, and then the other
          human beings as our own, very own.
          Spirituality means, to have a capacity to expand myself all the time
          into the Universe itself, and being able to implement the results into
          the ordinary life, in comunication with people, in being focused only
          in doing good things, etc.

          For me spirituality is the wisdom in everyday life, and it is a long
          way to achieve, but not impossible, of course.

          Having the master as our Guru is, is an open freeway on the
          spirituality guidance that only chosen ones are blessed to have.

          Good luck and all the best in your efforts to succeed.

          Gratitude,

          Jadranka
        • dmchaudhurani
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I am new to the group and I have a question. I would like to know
            what
            > does Spirituality mean or what does it mean to you? I have seen many
            > different definitions online or in books but I would like to get a
            > better understanding of it
            >
            > Thanks

            In December I was inspired to explore this topic. I was trying to find
            a favourite poem about spirituality and went onto the library site. I
            didn't find it there. Indeed I was sad to realise that some of the
            Soul-Body Prayer Books are no longer available on the Website Library.

            Anyway I did spend hours and hours researching and copying poems and
            writings which inspired me. Here is a small selection of what I found
            there. Most of the poems and writings I copied are still tied up in
            the web-formatting, waiting for me to 'process' them. If I get time I
            will send you more in the next week or so.

            For now, I hope these poems give you a feeling of the sweetness and
            seriousness of the concept of spirituality which, in my view, is one
            of the most important - and therefore most impossible to pin down -
            concepts in our lives of aspiration. I guess it is a subject we
            meditate on and grow into throughout our lives.

            I would like to take this opportunity of welcoming you into our
            family - which is brilliant!

            Sincerely

            Durga-Mata

            Note - in copying these poems from the web library and removing the
            line numbers and formatting details I may have lost something so do
            not quote them without checking first. The references seem to relate
            to the poems above them. For this reason, kindly consider them to be the 'Unoffical versions'

            24500.

            My first and last lesson in spirituality
            Is my sleepless and breathless oneness
            With the Will of my Lord Supreme.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 245

            16271.

            Practise spirituality.
            If not, your life will remain
            A lifeless heart.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 17

            22611.

            Spirituality
            Is the supreme necessity
            Of the awakened heart.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 227

            22187.
            Spirituality
            Is nothing other than
            A road that winds uphill
            All the way.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 222

            2868.

            The spirituality-lord tells his devotees,
            "My children, let us dream
            Of a higher dream
            And a better creation."

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 3

            36. Alas! Alas!...

            ALAS! ALAS!
            Your insincerity-drop
            Has poisoned
            Your spirituality-sea.
            Alas! Alas!
            Your insecurity-second
            Has eclipsed
            Your reality-sun.
            Alas! Alas!

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from The Golden Boat, Part 15 by Sri Chinmoy.

            25593.

            Spirituality is not meant
            For those who enjoy deliberately
            A mist-enshrouded mind.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 256

            Although spirituality
            Is an invitation to all,
            Only very few souls succeed.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Two God-Amusement-Rivals: My Heart-Song-Beauty And My
            Life-Dance-Fragrance, Part 3 by Sri Chinmoy.

            25044.

            Spirituality
            Means the life's
            Impurity-rejection.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 26 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            1832. An Absurdity

            Spirituality
            Without difficulty
            Is an absurdity.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 19 by Sri Chinmoy.

            2327.

            The moment our mind
            Became a victim to insecurity,
            We were thrown off
            The spirituality-track.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 3 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            3970.

            My mind,
            God alone knows
            How you have become
            A spirituality-authority.
            To me, you are nothing but
            A learned parrot.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 4 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            10640.

            Although the roguish mind tells me
            That my heart
            Is in the basement of spirituality,
            It is not true.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 11
            11686.

            Spirituality means
            The complete rejection
            Of God-doubters.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12 by Sri
            Chinmoy

            9660.

            If you can be spiritually oriented
            From a young age,
            Then you will go far, very far,
            In the realm of spirituality
            And God-Satisfaction-Pride.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 10
            1923.

            If we do not continue aspiring,
            We are bound to fall
            From the pinnacle of our spirituality.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 2
            6881.

            The spirituality
            That does not believe
            In God-manifestation
            Will always look like
            A half-empty house.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 69
            15746.

            What each seeker needs
            Is a spotless, faultless faith
            So that he can run like a deer
            Along the road
            Of awakening spirituality-fulfilment.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 158
            11515.

            Spirituality is a game.
            Love, devotion and surrender
            Are the rules.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12
            4916.

            For centuries and centuries
            And centuries
            You did not care consciously
            For spirituality.
            Yet you think that God Himself
            Is delaying your God-realisation.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 5
            9 September 2000...

            My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!
            O seeker,
            Your God-Compassion-doubt
            Is
            Your spirituality's immediate death.
            My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from My Morning Soul-Body Prayers, Part 16 by
            14030.

            It is a deplorable experience
            That spirituality remains remote
            From most human beings.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 15
            316.

            Be a little more careful
            With your heart's spirituality
            If you really want your life
            To become richly fruitful
            And remain so forever.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 4 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            21974.

            Politics is man's
            Man-made power-play.
            Spirituality is God's
            God-made Oneness-Play.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 220 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            10775.

            Spirituality wants
            To publicise God
            And materialise God
            Here on earth.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 11 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            26958.

            God has tremendous Concern
            For my mind
            A novice in spirituality.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 27 by Sri
            Chinmoy.

            9 March

            My evening descends
            And immediately blesses me
            With its powerful silence,
            So that I can run fast, very fast,
            Along the royal road of spirituality.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from My Evening Descends by Sri Chinmoy.
            4. My Lord Supreme, ...

            My Lord Supreme,
            May my curiosity about spirituality
            Come to an end.
            May my heart's sleepless hunger for You
            Come to the fore
            And make You feel that I am all ready
            For You, only for You.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from My Sweet Father-Lord, Where Are You? by Sri Chinmoy.

            14263.

            If you do not have faith
            In your own aspiration,
            Then you are bound to be
            A poor swimmer
            In the spirituality-sea.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 15
            11215.

            Spirituality is always eager
            To serve the world
            And not rule the world.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12
            A Disobedience-Seeker...

            A disobedience-seeker
            Is doomed to enter early
            Into his spirituality-empty grave.

            Sri Chinmoy

            Excerpt from Disobedience, Time Is Up! by Sri Chinmoy.
            19134.

            You can shorten your spirituality-road
            And quicken your speed
            If you are under the guidance
            Of a true, able and spiritually rich Master.

            Sri Chinmoy
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
              Hello,
              As a student of spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy, I have found tremendous
              insight and wisdom in his writings on the topic of spirituality. One
              talk from his book "Eastern Light for the Western Mind" contains a
              talk he gave at the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica
              in 1968 - the early days of his mission. It is called "Spirituality :
              What It Is and What It Is Not."
              This talk is available to read in his online library of his writings
              at: http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/3001/1/1

              Like Jadranka, I also feel that spirituality is a tool for
              self-transformation and ultimately world transformation. Her emphasis
              on acceptance resonates for me as well. With the belief that
              spirituality is a process to uncover our natural state that has been
              covered over by ignorance, it feels to me like a journey back home to
              God inside ourselves. It beckons to see the world as more than a
              surface ordinary reality and to seek truth, beauty and God Him/Herself
              in the world around us and inside our own beings.

              Which readings have resonated most for you in your exploration of the
              topic? Do you currently meditate? Meditation and prayer are certainly
              two invaluable tools to discover what spirituality means to you
              personally - probably much more so than through reading about it in
              books. There are lots of resources about self-guided meditation
              exploration at the Sri Chinmoy Centre Website:
              http://www.srichinmoycentre.org

              Wishing you much truth and light,
              Sharani
            • dmchaudhurani
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2008
                Here is the poem I was looking for. It is on the Library site

                Sri Chinmoy Library My Morning Soul-Body Prayers, Part 9 →
                4 September 1999...

                (4 September 1999 8:37 a.m
                Before using seated double-arm machine up to 120 lbs. with both arms
                simultaneously and 160 lbs. with each arm separately)

                My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!

                My true spirituality

                Is the love of Your Breath

                In every heart.

                My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme! (unofficial)

                For me this poem captures everything and reminds me of my role in the
                cosmic drama - to see Guru in everyone, to love him and serve him in
                everyone - including myself - all the time - and in everything I do.
                No mean aspiration! I think it will keep me busy for quite a few
                incarnations to come.

                I remember years ago, when I was a good runner and got up early most
                mornings to meditate and then go for a run - (with my famous dog Sammy
                who was the best running companion anyone could have.) I was at
                university studying Religion and Art and writing dissertations on Guru
                for both subjects. I read Guru's books for hours a day as part of my
                university work. I went to the Centre twice a week and joined in all
                the activities I could. I was in a singing group (British French)with
                weekly practises at my house and I helped with the weekly races. I
                took a turn meditating at the Peace Mile. I helped in giving classes.
                I experienced a strong sense of joy and a little pride - because I
                really felt that I was getting somewhere with my spiritual life and
                being a good disciple. Then I came across a poem which brought me down
                to earth very nicely. - It's from the 10,000 Flower-Flame series, part 19:

                1854 Each Thought

                Each thought

                Is important.

                Each action

                Is meaningful. (unofficial)

                RIGHT, GURU! BACK TO SQUARE ONE!

                I'm still working on the 'each thought and each action.' But when I
                find a poem like

                ...the love of Your Breath

                In every heart....

                it shows me in a quiet, simple way, what true spirituality means and
                how that goal can be won. It may take a few more incarnations but the
                road-map is absolutely there. I have embarked on the journey. To see
                You and love You in all - all of the time. As a teacher, I find my
                classes of 30 stroppy disafected teenagers an excellent place to
                practise, and practise, and practise!