Wednesday Night Meditation in NY, Jan.30, �08

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
      Wednesday Night Meditation in NY, Jan.30, `08

      Tonight was the 21st Anniversary of Sri Chinmoy's remarkable 7,063
      3/4 pound lift. Positioned carefully under a specially built platform
      with an enormous barbell held in a powerful steel cradle, Sri Chinmoy,
      after meditating on each of the 70-100 pound metal plates, was able to
      move the whole mass of steel weighing over three and a half tons! We saw
      this documented quite clearly tonight during our regular program along
      with many other photos taken of Sri Chinmoy's serious weightlifting
      ventures that started seriously in June of 1985.

      Before this very powerful and uplifting video, we had a very nice
      meditation and singing until around 9 pm. Satyajit's group performed
      instrumentally with Satyajit reciting some of Guru's poems on faith.
      One poem was: "The only wisdom I need: Sleepless faith in your
      Compassion-Feet."(unofficial)

      Lotus-Groves, or Kanan's Group, then performed quite powerfully six
      very early Bengali songs written by Sri Chinmoy. These were from a group
      of 20 songs that they sang in their very first performance on February
      18, 1973! The songs were(unofficially): Antare Eso Neme, Swalpe Tushta,
      Chale Se Druta, Mukta Ami Tomar, Andakarer Bhakta, Simar Jadi Hai.

      Around 9:30 p.m. we starting watching the video slideshow that Bishwas
      put together on Guru's weightlifting including the 7,063 3/4 pound
      lift. There was also some audio afterwards on comments Guru made after
      the lift. It was an incredible experience to witness. Under the photo of
      this event posted outside the Aspiration-Ground tent in a nice large
      frame, was a quote of Sri Chinmoy's about his weightlifting. It
      reads: "Do not give up! Inside our inner spirit, indominatable
      spirit, there is a fountain of limitless energy."

      We had lots of special Prasad to celebrate this Anniversary including
      miniature `barbells' made from Oreo cookies on a skewer with
      Hershey `kisses' (chocolate candies) on each end. (I hope I do
      not gain 7063 3/4 pounds after eating them.)

      Good news announcements followed. One of the last and most exciting news
      items was one Ashrita told about the new location of the World's
      Largest Pencil which was created to celebrate Sri Chinmoy's 76th
      Birthday last year and has been resting in the driveway of
      Aspiration-Ground until two days ago. It went, in two parts, down to
      St.Louis to a special museum where many interesting displays, sculptures
      and scientific articles could be found. They even have a one ring circus
      called `Circus Harmony' which is put on solely by children.
      Twice they have hosted the World Harmony Run, giving us a tour of the
      museum and offering us a private circus performance as well. There was
      international and local news coverage of the Pencil's arrival there,
      as it will be stationed as a permanent display there.

      St. Louis is a medium sized city in the state of Missouri situated on
      the Mississippi River. Its most notable landmark, until the arrival of
      the `Pencil' that is, is the huge Gateway Arch, which is
      dedicated to Thomas Jefferson's vision of westward expansion in the
      early days of the United States of America. See:
      http://images.google.com/images?q=gateway+arch&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rl\
      s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=khm&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=images&ct=titl\
      <http://images.google.com/images?q=gateway+arch&hl=en&client=firefox-a&r\
      ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=khm&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=images&ct=tit\
      le>

      In this vision of expanding westward, he always wished for harmony
      among all people who came here and who were already native to this land.
      This sense of oneness, which seems to have been forgotten throughout
      much of our history, is something that our Guru, Sri Chinmoy has also
      encouraged, especially in his own students. Hopefully, this Pencil, like
      the Arch as well, will be symbolic of, and a source of inspiration for
      the aspiration and cooperative efforts of many people to strive toward
      harmony and oneness in our search for a better, God-loving world.

      Pointedly,

      Arpan

    • ttstp
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
        Dear Arpan,
        Your detailed descriptions of the Wednesday Night Meditations are
        most inspiring. Thank you for helping those of us who are far away
        from New York to feel connected.

        Shirley (Victoria Centre)

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
          Dear Arpan,

          Reading your post about the Wednesday night function made me curious,
          so I searched the Internet to see if I could find stuff about the
          World's Largest Pencil in St. Louis.

          Sure enough, I found the story, put up by Channel 5, KSDK, in St.
          Louis, MO.

          Here are the links for those who might want to read and /or watch. The
          video shows, among other things, Ashrita attempting a record at the
          City Museum in St. Louis:

          Story
          http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=139355

          Video
          http://tinyurl.com/2ejahd

          with gratitude,

          Kamalakanta
        • arpan_deangelo
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
            This prayer was spontaneously offered by Guru prior to lifting 7063-3/4
            pounds with his right arm on January 30, 1987.

            God the Compassion,
            Man the gratitude.

            Man the height,
            God the Delight.