The "Swiss" Himalayas

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2008
      Dear Arpan and all,

      Yesterday I returned from a what we call a joyday in Germany. Usually
      it gives me joy. This time maybe the inclement weather made it a
      little more difficult. It was wet-cold and very windy.

      I had been planning for a long time to reply to two of your running
      support posts.

      Running in the cold:

      Running (and/or walking tips):

      Somehow I took a day off today and felt like going for a run; a third
      attempt after ten months of having had health problems. I am very
      grateful for your and many other runners' inspiration. I love running
      and am missing it a lot.

      I am lucky to live very close to the hills and so I slowly started
      walking up the steep hill that begins almost right behind my house
      and leads to the woods. Those who are living in this area are also
      lucky to have several Finnish round courses up there. These are
      round courses that are equipped all around with little chips of wood
      so that you feel like running on a soft material that treats one's
      joints and bones carefully - and it does.

      The sun was shining so brightly that I encouraged myself to go
      further up and leave the round course. First I passed by the sheeps
      and they määöhhhd at me. I stopped running and talked a little with
      them telling them nice things that Guru had said about them and other
      animals. They even had names imprinted in a plastic label hanging
      around their necks.

      I was also reminded of a movie I had been watching when I was a kid
      of maybe six or seven…

      I think the story led back to the Middle Ages. At that time sheeps
      did not wear plastic labels around their necks, no, they were branded
      with a hot iron thing. I do not remember the whole story, only that
      one owner's name was Dominitschi and the other one's was Bonfilio.
      Some of the sheeps were branded with a D and some other with a B.

      On this fresh and sunny day I didn't want to be reminded of the movie
      in which mysteriously the D-sheeps disappeared and B-sheeps remained,
      their numbers even encreased. And so I went on running and thought of
      Sri Chinmoy who had been visiting New Zealand in 2002 where he had
      lifted one thousand sheeps.

      Also read # 1 by Sri Chinmoy Inspiration:

      And # 8 by Agraha:

      "The Saviour Christ had a very
      special affection, love and fondness for the lambs...As soon as we
      say lamb, all our divine qualities come forward: innocence,
      softness, tenderness and mildness. Lambs invoke all our own good
      qualities." (unofficial quote from Sri Chinmoy)

      Trying to focus on running I reached a place where I had a sunny
      overview over the whole valley. And there they were! The Swiss Alps
      on the horizon! They were open as they say here meaning they were not
      rapt in clouds - a rather rare view. As I had to look against the sun
      I kept my eyes half closed blinking and it seemed as if the mountains
      were so close that they were reachable in the twinkling of an eye �"
      just with one finger one was able to jump over the whole mountain
      range, from summit to summit.

      And I was reminded of an Indian story… The Ramayana. It could have
      been a great pleasure for Hanuman to fly to the mountains if the
      circumstances had not been of a serious case and so in his rush he
      took a whole mountain on which the life saving herb was growing and
      brought it to Lakshmana who was seriously wounded in the final
      *battle* against Indrajeet and would have died without getting the
      medicine on time.

      I think this site is very nice to read especially for children:

      http://www.boloji.com/ramayana/22.htm

      It may sound childish but I got so much joy from viewing the snow
      capped Swiss Alps with this orange shining sky beyond and I decided
      not to dwell on any battles anymore. They seemed to be so far and so
      near at the same time. Out of joy I called them the Swiss Himalayas.
      Such beauty to view them that I am unable to describe it.*

      As I am standing there inhaling the cold air and marvelling at the
      scenery's beauty I am reminded of a postcard I received from New York
      on February 10, 1995. The front part of it shows Mount Everest …A
      Coice Member of the Supreme Himalayas, The Kingdom of Nepal and on
      the backside it reads:

      Everest-aspiration,
      You are a blessing-gift
      Of Mother Gauri and Father Shankar.
      Do open my heart's silver door
      And awaken me with Immortality's Dawn.

      -Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)

      Then follows an advice by Sri Chinmoy how to meditate on the
      particular mountain and concludes:

      "For the disciples this mountain has to be constant inspiration and
      aspiration. "Himalayan aspiration." This was 13 years ago.

      Slowly I walked back down the hill as this also treats the joints
      carefully and went home happily.

      May I develop Himalayan aspiration!

      Doris

      *This reminds me of what I read somewhere else by Sri Chinmoy about
      what Swami Vivekananda had said on beauty:

      "Tagore was an adorer of beauty, while the dominant trait of
      Vivekananda was the expression of power. But Vivekananda, too,
      possessed a deep sense of appreciation of subtle beauty. 'Beauty,'
      says he, 'is not external, but already in the mind.' Here we are
      reminded of what his spiritual daughter Nivedita wrote about her
      Master. 'It was dark when we approached Sicily, and against the sunset
      sky, Etna was in slight eruption. As we entered the straits of
      Messina, the moon rose, and I walked up and down the deck beside the
      Swami, while he dwelt on the fact that beauty is not external, but
      already in the mind. On one side frowned the dark crags of the Italian
      coast, on the other, the island was touched with silver light.
      "Messina must thank me," he said; "it is I who give her all her
      beauty."' Truly, in the absence of appreciation, beauty is not beauty
      at all. And beauty is worthy of its name only when it has been
      appreciated. Further, they are not many in number who really have the
      power of appreciating it." -Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi Doris,
        Your story of running and the mountains was a nice read - thanks for
        sharing it. I recently was thinking of Guru and lambs because of some
        photographs I saw last Friday. Vijali was showing me her progress in
        putting her many photographs into albums and scrapbooks (for larger
        prasad items, etc.). I have one small black and white photo of Guru
        feeding a lamb a bottle of milk taken many years ago. However in
        Vijali's album there were MANY quite old photos of Guru and a little
        lamb (not ones from the New Zealand Christmas trip). They were beyond
        adorable! If someone owns these photos and has a gallery album, I do
        hope they scan them and add them to an online collection for all to enjoy.