a voice as sweet as honey

  • abhinabha
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008
      This Christmas my dad showed me some excerpts of a documentary called
      'I'm your man'. It's a film about the life, poetry and music of
      Leonard Cohen. I grew up listening to Cohen quite a lot, as my dad is
      a big fan of his. I'm not to keen on his singing voice, but I was
      always amazed at the poetic quality of his lyrics.

      Anyways, the documentary is interspersed with musicians singing Cohen
      songs. It closes with the performance of a singer called Antony, doing
      the song 'If it be your will'. When I first heard Antony's voice I was
      hypnotized. I don't think I have ever heard such a beautiful singing
      voice before. It's almost like hearing an angel sing. It reminded me
      of Adarsha's voice in some ways, who also has that unique vibrato quality.

      If you want to listen for yourself, there is plenty of his music out
      on YouTube. Just click the link below:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw

      Be warned though. The song stuck inside my head for many days after.

      Abhinabha
    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
        Be sure something inside me responds to the voice.

        It reminds me of times spent in East Berlin where the rest of my
        family resides.

        It reminds me of Leonhard Cohen's long-playing records played in
        backyards, where angels didn't turn out to be so. But knowing that
        they do exist I hope all of them find peace in the Lord where all
        there longings will be fulfilled.

        Doris
      • shane_dublincentre
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
          Abinabha, Abhinabha, Abhinabha, what am i going to do with you? Not a
          patch on the original my friend - perhaps the voice is better, but a
          tad too much adolescent fidgeting for my liking - he reminds me of,
          er, well, me!

          Ah, but we shall let the good reader decide for themselves:

          http://tinyurl.com/22hq9b

          Oh well, i suppose you do come from a nation which foists Edam upon us
          and keeps all the good cheese for yourselves :)

          I remember coming across the song perhaps the year before I joined the
          path. I was pretty struck by the acuteness of spiritual search
          expressed therein; still am, actually, it's not something you see
          every day in mainstream Western music.

          There is a great sense of serene stillness in this live performance.
          Later on, Cohen spent a few years as an ordained Zen monk (he had been
          practising on and off for twenty years before that) in a mountain
          retreat in California. Apparently he had the spiritual name of Jikan,
          which means the silent one.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
            Dear Abhinabha,

            I never heard of either Leonard Cohen or Antony, but I viewed the
            video in You Tube and found another one, a song called "You Are My
            Sister"...I did not know people still liked this kind of songs!

            Here is the link to "You Are My Sister". Fabulous song!

            http://tinyurl.com/27nqzn

            Kamalakanta

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
              Dear Shane, you are right!

              Nothing like the original!

              Kamalakanta

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Abinabha, Abhinabha, Abhinabha, what am i going to do with you? Not a
              > patch on the original my friend - perhaps the voice is better, but a
              > tad too much adolescent fidgeting for my liking - he reminds me of,
              > er, well, me!
              >
              > Ah, but we shall let the good reader decide for themselves:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/22hq9b
              >
              > Oh well, i suppose you do come from a nation which foists Edam upon us
              > and keeps all the good cheese for yourselves :)
              >
              > I remember coming across the song perhaps the year before I joined the
              > path. I was pretty struck by the acuteness of spiritual search
              > expressed therein; still am, actually, it's not something you see
              > every day in mainstream Western music.
              >
              > There is a great sense of serene stillness in this live performance.
              > Later on, Cohen spent a few years as an ordained Zen monk (he had been
              > practising on and off for twenty years before that) in a mountain
              > retreat in California. Apparently he had the spiritual name of Jikan,
              > which means the silent one.

            • purnakama2000
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                Hello all who have chimed in about Leonard Cohen.

                I'm proud to say that he is a good Canadian boy, and I'm sorry
                Abhinaba, but I love his voice better than Antony's.
                There is something about the raw passion in his voice that moves me.
                Not outwardly perfect but inwardly soulful.

                Glad you enjoy his music.

                Purnakama
                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Dear Abhinabha,
                >
                > I never heard of either Leonard Cohen or Antony, but I viewed the
                > video in You Tube and found another one, a song called "You Are My
                > Sister"...I did not know people still liked this kind of songs!
                >
                > Here is the link to "You Are My Sister". Fabulous song!
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/27nqzn
                >
                > Kamalakanta
                >
                > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha
                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >

                > > This Christmas my dad showed me some excerpts of a documentary
                called
                > > 'I'm your man'. It's a film about the life, poetry and music of
                > > Leonard Cohen. I grew up listening to Cohen quite a lot, as my
                dad is
                > > a big fan of his. I'm not to keen on his singing voice, but I was
                > > always amazed at the poetic quality of his lyrics.
                > >
                > > Anyways, the documentary is interspersed with musicians singing
                Cohen
                > > songs. It closes with the performance of a singer called Antony,
                doing
                > > the song 'If it be your will'. When I first heard Antony's voice
                I was
                > > hypnotized. I don't think I have ever heard such a beautiful
                singing
                > > voice before. It's almost like hearing an angel sing. It
                reminded me
                > > of Adarsha's voice in some ways, who also has that unique vibrato
                > quality.
                > >
                > > If you want to listen for yourself, there is plenty of his music
                out
                > > on YouTube. Just click the link below:
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw
                > >
                > > Be warned though. The song stuck inside my head for many days
                after.

                > > Abhinabha

              • cott_doris
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                  Dear Kamalakanta and Shane,

                  The musicians may perform each on a different level, but in their own
                  way they are both unique- incomparable.

                  Whereas Leonard Cohen is like a father â€" experienced and controlled
                  Antony might be like the son giving himself to the song.

                  The Supreme might say to Leonard Cohen, "My child, do not give up
                  searching for Me." He might say to Antony, "My child, hold on, I am
                  here."

                  Doris

                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Shane, you are right!
                  >
                  > Nothing like the original!
                  >
                  > Kamalakanta
                  >
                  > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
                  > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Abinabha, Abhinabha, Abhinabha, what am i going to do with you?
                  Not a
                  > > patch on the original my friend - perhaps the voice is better,
                  but a
                  > > tad too much adolescent fidgeting for my liking - he reminds me
                  of,
                  > > er, well, me!
                  > >
                  > > Ah, but we shall let the good reader decide for themselves:
                  > >
                  > > http://tinyurl.com/22hq9b
                  > >
                  > > Oh well, i suppose you do come from a nation which foists Edam
                  upon us
                  > > and keeps all the good cheese for yourselves :)
                  > >
                  > > I remember coming across the song perhaps the year before I
                  joined the
                  > > path. I was pretty struck by the acuteness of spiritual search
                  > > expressed therein; still am, actually, it's not something you see
                  > > every day in mainstream Western music.
                  > >
                  > > There is a great sense of serene stillness in this live
                  performance.
                  > > Later on, Cohen spent a few years as an ordained Zen monk (he had
                  been
                  > > practising on and off for twenty years before that) in a mountain
                  > > retreat in California. Apparently he had the spiritual name of
                  Jikan,
                  > > which means the silent one.

                • abhinabha
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                    Shane, Shane, Shane...shame!

                    How can Antony's matchless voice ever stand second place to Leonard
                    Cohen's effective, yet hopelessly unimaginative bass? It's like
                    comparing nectar to leather. Ah, on second read I see you do
                    acknowledge. Very good. Forget about the fidgeting. Voice man, the
                    voice is what matters!
                    Anyways, since you mentioned The Netherlands, I wish to share a Dutch
                    saying which illustrates our deep, innate wisdom:

                    "Taste is not open for discussion." (Dutch proverb)

                    It's funny you mention our export ethics. As a matter of fact, my dear
                    Watson, it's quite the reverse. We are known, for instance, to ship
                    our finest vegetables abroad and keep the ugly, swollen, watery ones
                    for our own supermarkets. Sad but true. Cheese may actually be the
                    exception to the rule here.

                    Since I'm making this into a Dutch promotional post, after Adhiratha
                    so graciously pointed out the fact that Holland introduced freedom of
                    religion to the world, I feel inspired to reveal yet another shocking
                    truth:

                    Santa Clause is also a Dutch invention!

                    Yes, 'tis true, 'tis true.

                    For centuries we have been known to celebrate the name day of Saint
                    Nicholas of Myra, a Turkish saint, on the 5th of December. When the
                    first Dutch colonists settled in the new world, we brought
                    'Sinterklaas' - the name had undergone some welding - with us. It was
                    quickly Americanised into Santa Clause and 'borrowed' for the
                    Christmas season. Much obliged, I daresay.

                    To read the full story of Santa's origins, check out the link:

                    http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

                    And especially for Kamalakanta, who sadly agreed with Shane, but who
                    just saved his skin by not failing to give due value to Antony's other
                    songs, I introduce another fine, very fine piece of his music. This is
                    just magical!

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbA0RmHD7RY

                    I couldn't contain myself and bought a CD of Antony and the Johnsons
                    the other day. Dangerous material!

                    -Abhinabha

                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Abinabha, Abhinabha, Abhinabha, what am i going to do with you? Not a
                    > patch on the original my friend - perhaps the voice is better, but a
                    > tad too much adolescent fidgeting for my liking - he reminds me of,
                    > er, well, me!
                    >
                    > Ah, but we shall let the good reader decide for themselves:
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/22hq9b
                    >
                    > Oh well, i suppose you do come from a nation which foists Edam upon us
                    > and keeps all the good cheese for yourselves :)
                    >
                    > I remember coming across the song perhaps the year before I joined the
                    > path. I was pretty struck by the acuteness of spiritual search
                    > expressed therein; still am, actually, it's not something you see
                    > every day in mainstream Western music.
                    >
                    > There is a great sense of serene stillness in this live performance.
                    > Later on, Cohen spent a few years as an ordained Zen monk (he had been
                    > practising on and off for twenty years before that) in a mountain
                    > retreat in California. Apparently he had the spiritual name of Jikan,
                    > which means the silent one.

                  • cott_doris
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Dear Abhinabha,

                      I may be allowed to leave another comment on Antony.

                      I don't see Antony's body-language as adolescent fidgeting as Shane
                      described it. It is partly like angelic 'dancing.' I believe his
                      tears are sincere.

                      The voice is extremely beautiful but the clip does not even remotely
                      remind me of a subtle and soulful poem by Tagore.

                      Why does a tree has to be decorated? It is beautiful the way it was
                      created by God.

                      Here is another version. Just beautiful.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNU4fVpO8E&feature=related

                      Doris