serendipity strikes - it's a small world

  • abhinabha
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
      Last week I was out in the health food store again, working as a
      replacement for a brother and sister who were in the Caribbean. :-)

      Anyways, near the end of the day an Indian man and a young American or
      Canadian lady walk in. They browse through the store, buy a few
      things, accidentally dropped a salt container ('no worries!' we
      assured them) and come up to the register to pay.

      Right in front of the register we have a small collection of Sri
      Chinmoy's books. The Indian man was looking at them and pointed,
      saying to the young girl 'Oh look who it is!'
      'Do you know Sri Chinmoy?' I asked.
      'Yes I do. I used to play music for him,' he replied
      'Oh really? Did you perform with his disciples?'
      'No, no, not with his disciples,' he chuckled. 'With Ali Akbar Khan. I
      am his tabla player.'

      So Ali Akbar Khan's tabla player walks into our humble little store in
      The Hague. And he performed at Aspiration Ground a few years ago! He was in The Hague to see the young girl, who had been his student,
      graduate at the conservatory.

      'Sri Chinmoy was always very kind to us,' he said. 'We always received
      an invitation from him when we were in New York.' Then he added: 'He
      was an excellent flute player and also a great esraj player.'

      Ali Akbar Khan is one of world's greatest sarod players, a very
      respected and revered musician. Sri Chinmoy admired him very much and
      had once honoured him with a special video and a song.

      I was so thrilled to meet that man. He was full of inner calm and
      serenity. A real Indian soul.

      --Abhinabha
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
        Abhinabha,

        Thank you for that wonderful story. Ali Akbar Khan, one of the world's
        most renowned Sarod players, performed for Sri Chinmoy in 1973 in
        Queens. On the U.S. World Harmony Run in May of this year we met Ali
        Akbar Khan (referred to affectionately as 'Baba') at his music school in California. One of his sons was doing a recital of the Sarod and his whole family was there. We brought the Torch just in case Baba came, but he was not expected there because he had been ill.

        To everyone's joy Baba did come and he sat in the back of the room. We
        met with him during the intermission and then again after the concert.
        He was so happy to hear that we were disciples of Sri Chinmoy and he
        held the Torch with us and his whole family. He said that Sri Chinmoy is a good friend and that he would like to meet with him again. Unfortunately that never happened but the inner bond between them will
        forever last, especially in the world of spiritual music.

        You can see the photo and story of this inspiring event at this link:
        http://www.worldharmonyrun.org/usa/livefromtheroad/052607/newsitem_view

        Harmoniously,

        Arpan

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha <no_reply@...>