Re: Read This if you Dare

  • vasanti_hd
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
      No Heidelberg? :)

      Just back from a "short" run (1 h) Instead of working (some translations are waiting) here I am again reading the latest posts
      and checking my last one.

      Here it was raining - a thunderstorm is supposed to be approaching,
      but I had missed running yesterday and this morning and want to go
      for 51 km next Saturday, so I thought I better get out there! Looking
      out of the window you could hear and see the raindrops falling
      heavily in the black night on the dimly lit asphalt, with the wind
      picking up. Well - as my father used to say, there is no bad weather,
      only inappropriate clothing. Plus there is a special charm to running
      at night, along a river, towards the sparkling lights, like diamonds,
      of a little town nestled between two hills, even in the rain - this
      feeling of braving the elements - aren't we all heroes and warriors
      anyway?!

      The funny thing was, as soon as I went out, the rain and wind abated,
      and I took down my hood, enjoying this bit of more freedom. As I
      crossed the bridge across the river, I saw a couple of bizarre black
      clouds in the distance, being swept across the sky, against a lighter
      background. It looked a bit threatening, but well, let the weather
      come... I stood on the bridge for a while, enjoying the turbulent
      waters under me, when I suddenly realised that the "black clouds"
      were the sky, and the "white background" were the clouds, now coming
      closer and covering the black. I had to laugh - how often do we see
      black and think black, but if we brave things they may turn out white?

      On my way back along the other side of the river it struck me that
      the rain had almost completely ceased, as if a blessing for my going
      out to run. A few hundred metres before my house it picked up again.
      Inwardly I was joking with the "higher forces": can't you wait just a
      little longer please, I am almost home! As soon as I was inside, it
      picked up like anything again.

      It reminded me of something Guru had once said in regard to Channel
      swimming, when a number of his students had not made it, to the point
      that outer conditions can change very easily and quickly, if you have
      faith. I don't know where to find this quote right now, but I found
      something similarly inspiring on the Library Website, which also
      matches a little what Arpan has said about outer conditions:

      "If we are absolutely dedicated
      To the divine cause,
      And if we can listen to the dictates
      Of our inner being
      At every moment,
      Our inner being will create
      Outer circumstances that will help us
      In our spiritual life." - Sri Chinmoy

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/283.html

      Of course I have also gone out running in pouring rain and it became
      even worse, but today's experience still has happened many times in
      similar ways.

      Vasanti
      (not giving up learning to listen)

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > (Still seated)…If we do not allow ourselves to get 'hung up' or
      > attached to our outer circumstances and instead accept where we are
      > and what we are doing at the time, then we can relax into a happy
      type
      > of aspiration where the real experiences and joys come from within.
      > Some people will never understand what other people experience
      > inwardly when it seems that outwardly life is not that appealing or
      > exciting.
      >
      > For example, many people do not understand how a long distance
      runner
      > can get enjoyment or fulfillment from spending hours on the road or
      > going around in circles. If one tries to understand this with the
      mind
      > then certainly the feeling of boredom or suffering comes into play.
      > But when we can experience running or any other seemingly unexciting
      > activity such as chopping vegetables, selling merchandise, etc. with
      > an inner vision and higher consciousness, then everything is new and
      > exciting.
      >
      > As you can see that once I get going I have no trouble typing away,
      > perhaps too much. Maybe it's all the long distance training I have
      put
      > in over the decades. I really should get out of this comfortable
      chair
      > and go for a long run.
      >
      > We just had our first snowfall in New York and it is very damp,
      dreary
      > and cold out there. As I sit here typing and meditating on the fresh
      > snowfall out on Normal Road I feel a sense of gratitude for the
      > opportunities given us all to be able to do the daily things that we
      > take for granted such as working, walking, running, even typing and
      > meditating. I try to do some or all of these everyday to keep my
      sense
      > of dynamic gratitude alive and well.
      >
      > When I visit some of my friends in the hospital which I have been
      > doing on a regular basis, I see how much we can take for granted in
      > our own `normal' or healthy lives. Many of those bedridden people
      > cannot walk, or run, or type, or work, or struggle with the normal
      > activities that we sometimes consider burdens in our own daily
      lives.

      > So as I get prepared to get up and out into the `nasty' weather, I
      > will change my attitude and try to see only beauty and peace in it
      and
      > in all the experiences which may come my way today. And I am
      grateful
      > that we have brothers and sisters all over the world who we can
      share
      > these important experiences with in similar ways. It is a testament
      > our wonderful Spiritual Father who has given so much over the last
      > five decades to unite so many people from all corners of globe and
      > such varying walks of life in very spiritual enriching ways.
      >
      > Keep working, running, meditating and writing,

    • vlad_fed
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
        [Dear Vlad, please make sure to follow the safety guidelines
        appended at the end of your post. Thank you]

        Hi, Arpan,

        I've been a silent reader for a long time.
        It's a very inspiring forum really!
        Arpan, you dared me, I do type with ten fingers and decided to drop
        a line or two. I am a disciple from Almaty, Kazakhstan (former
        Soviet republic).

        Cheers,
        Vlad

        [Dear Vlad,
        For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below:

        1) Hide Your Email Address

        Please set your member preferences so that your email address will not be visible.

        - First click on this link:
        If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

        - Check the box where it says:
        "Hide my email and IP address from the group moderators"

        - Under "Message Delivery", select:
        "Web Only. Read messages only on the web"

        - Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

        Now when you post, your email address will not be visible anymore to anybody.

        2) Turn Off Invitations
        - First click on this link:
        If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

        Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email
        addresses will appear.

        - To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in
        blue. Click on it.

        Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:
        Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
        Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

        - By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
        - Click the Save Changes button.
        - Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

        Thank you
        Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]
      • abhinabha
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
          Dear Arpan and Vasanti,

          Your running posts are totally inspiring! I already went for a run
          today, but my legs are itching to get out again into the night rain
          and log a few miles. Ah well, let me write this post instead.

          There is something very special about running in inclement weather.
          Some of my best runs have been in the pouring rain or the biting cold.
          The way nature lashes down on you and the way you hold your head high
          and just put one leg in front of the other, enjoying the trance-like
          rhythm of your feet dancing away the road...

          And suddenly nature surrenders! I know what Vasanti is talking about,
          I have also experienced it many times.
          I like what Emile Zatopek said about it:

          "There's a great advantage in training under unfavourable conditions."

          I also enjoy Sri Chinmoy's comment on that utterance:

          "For when victory dawns, everything becomes sweet, illumining and
          fulfilling. At that time, unfavourable conditions are no longer seen
          as unfavourable but as necessary steps to bring to the fore the
          runner's ultimate capacity."

          http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/emil-zatopek/7.html

          Two weeks ago I participated in a big 15K race in the city I grew up
          in, which is called Nijmegen and lies in the East of Holland, close to
          the German border. This race - the "7 hills race" - is very popular,
          drawing almost 30,000 people. It also holds the world record for 15K.

          To me a race is the summit of running joy. It is a test of strength,
          will and courage: how deep will you go? It is painful and at the same
          time it is joyful, especially after crossing the finish line! And
          running together with thousands of others creates such a powerful
          feeling of oneness. It is also at the perfect time of year, in the
          middle of autumn when the trees are at their heights of beauty, with
          falling leaves of gold preceding you wherever you turn. Oh, I do love
          autumn!

          Keep on running and smiling and becoming!

          Best wishes,
          Abhinabha

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, vasanti_hd
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > swimming, when a number of his students had not made it, to the point
          > that outer conditions can change very easily and quickly, if you have
          > faith. I don't know where to find this quote right now, but I found
          > something similarly inspiring on the Library Website, which also
          > matches a little what Arpan has said about outer conditions:
          >
          > "If we are absolutely dedicated
          > To the divine cause,
          > And if we can listen to the dictates
          > Of our inner being
          > At every moment,
          > Our inner being will create
          > Outer circumstances that will help us
          > In our spiritual life." - Sri Chinmoy

          http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/283.html

          > Of course I have also gone out running in pouring rain and it became
          > even worse, but today's experience still has happened many times in

        • purnakama2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            Ochyen Horosho and Spacebo Vlad for ringing the bell!

            Welcome welcome welcome:)

            Purnakama
          • arpan_deangelo
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
              It is very nice to hear from you, Vlad.

              Bolshoia spaciba!(I love the Russian language and studied it many
              years ago for a while but forgot much of the little I learned.)

              We would love to hear more from you and any inspiring experiences or
              feelings you wish to share here. Even just a reply, like the one you
              just sent, is very welcome. We hope others will do the same even if
              they feel they have not much to say.

              The fact is that some of us like to talk, or in this case, write more
              than others. It's not so much that we like to hear ourselves talk or
              see what we write in public, but more as a sharing from the heart in
              ways that we feel creates more of a sense of oneness in the way our
              great Master, Sri Chinmoy, encouraged and taught us.

              Although his teaching was essentially a silent teaching and inner
              teaching, Sri Chinmoy's ability to manifest and share this deep inner
              reality and Truth was remarkably creative and innocent. It could be
              something as simple as a sweet story or rhyming poem. There is no
              necessity to have literary skills or even perfect English. Just write
              from the heart and make it simple.

              In your case, many people are curious about your part of the world.I
              know one or two people from Kazakhstan and I have heard of how
              beautiful it is there. Would love to hear more. Maybe we could even
              practice a few Russian phrases here like: (Ochin Pryatna
              pahznahkomitsah- Very happy to meet you). Don't laugh too hard when I
              try to speak your language, but it's fun.

              'Paka' for now,

              Arpan