Re: Come Closer

  • vasanti_hd
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
      So beautiful! :)

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, cott_doris
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > This poem is so simple but I thought I share it anyway.
      >
      > Come Closer
      >
      > "My Lord,
      > Today I am smiling and smiling.
      > I wish You could see me smiling."
      >
      > "Come closer, my child,
      > What happened?"
      >
      > "My Lord,
      > I thought it was impossible
      > To listen to You for hours.
      > But it is not true.
      > Today I listened and listened.
      >
      > Something more, my Lord,
      > In my meditation I saw You -
      > Your beloved Face,
      > And I looked and looked
      > At You."
      >
      > "My child,
      > Anything else?"
      >
      > "My Lord,
      > I am happy!
      > I wish I could always listen to You
      > And always look at You."
      >
      > "My child,
      > Just close your eyes
      > And remember Me! Remember Me!
      > And remain happy."
      >

      > Doris

    • assistantmummer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
        Dear Doris (or "Clarity-Perfection" as I like to call you),

        Your last two poems were really excellent!

        I'm no expert, but it seems you are making so much progress by writing
        these poems. I would like to ask you: Do you feel anything has
        changed, especially with the last poem, "Come Closer," which is so
        cheerful? When you write the poem, do you feel inwardly close to
        Guru, and does this help dispel grief?

        The part of us that grieves feels he is gone; but the part of us that
        writes the poem knows he is with us. This is my experience.

        You say, "This poem is so simple but..." That suggests maybe you feel
        it was too easy to write. I feel that the fruit is simple to pluck,
        but the labour to tend the vine can be very hard. Here, after Guru's
        passing, how many tears have you shed? Now you are writing a poem that
        is completely happy and cheerful! So I look behind the poem and value
        all the labour that went into creating or discovering cheerfulness.

        Because you are very gracious in accepting my suggestions, I would
        like to mention three tiny changes you could make to "God's
        Patience-Love-Light" (message #21341). These are technical changes
        only, and would not affect the poem's meaning.

        1. Would it be okay to refer to the child as "her" rather than "it"?
        You are saying you are like the child in the play-ground, so it's very
        natural for the child to be "her." Also, I do not think Sri Chinmoy
        ever refers to a child as "it."

        2. You write: "Every day you are daring a new attempt Of loving Me
        infinitely more..." But in English, we usually say "attempt at" rather
        than "attempt of."

        3. Where you write "My patience-Love-Light" it might be more natural
        to capitalize "patience" as well.

        So, here is what your poem would look like with these minor technical
        changes:

        God's Patience-Love-Light

        "I thought I loved You, my Lord.
        But now that I am allowing myself
        To see, I see that I am still running
        Away from You.
        I see that I am shyness incarnate.

        What kind of love is it, my Lord?
        I see that I am still
        Playing the old game of hiding.

        Like this bird -
        Burying it's head in the ground,

        Like the fish in the glass-bowl
        Swimming up and down
        Pretending to be invisible.

        Like the child in the play-ground
        Ignoring the Father Supreme
        Watching over her.

        What kind of love is it, my Lord?
        Please, tell me."

        "No my child,
        Every day you are daring a new attempt
        At loving Me infinitely more than you
        Love me now.
        And something else:
        My Patience-Love-Light
        Lasts for all Eternity."

        (poem by Doris)

        Michael

        P.S. Thank you so much for your anecdote about "The Soul's Voice"
        being read in Zurich (message #21390). I feel that Sri Chinmoy gave me
        this poem - or allowed me to copy it down - out of Compassion. It has
        become a kind of calling card, since so few people know my name. When
        I read it, it always takes me back to Aspiration-Ground, to the sacred
        feeling of being by Guru's open casket, and the feeling of a page
        having been turned in history.

        Not a word of the poem has changed, but there is a .pdf version which
        is nicely formatted, if anyone wants it.

        I may post something elsewhere on the subject of "recluse." To me this
        is just a shorthand term, but it is not my life philosophy. I do not
        rule out someday visiting Zurich or Buenos Aires!

        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > This poem is so simple but I thought I share it anyway.
        >
        > Come Closer
        >
        > "My Lord,
        > Today I am smiling and smiling.
        > I wish You could see me smiling."
        >
        > "Come closer, my child,
        > What happened?"
        >
        > "My Lord,
        > I thought it was impossible
        > To listen to You for hours.
        > But it is not true.
        > Today I listened and listened.
        >
        > Something more, my Lord,
        > In my meditation I saw You -
        > Your beloved Face,
        > And I looked and looked
        > At You."
        >
        > "My child,
        > Anything else?"
        >
        > "My Lord,
        > I am happy!
        > I wish I could always listen to You
        > And always look at You."
        >
        > "My child,
        > Just close your eyes
        > And remember Me! Remember Me!
        > And remain happy."
        >

        > Doris

      • cott_doris
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2007
          Dear Michael,

          "The part of us that grieves feels he is gone; but the part of us that
          writes the poem knows he is with us. This is my experience."

          These are your words. It is exactly like that. I don't feel like looking for other words. Your words say it all.

          Guru is alive when I am meditating, when I am singing, when I am
          reading, when I am thinking of him and when I am writing a poem. He
          sometimes speaks through me. And in between there is grieving for he
          is gone.

          To answer the second part of your question I have to go beyond the
          time of Guru's passing away.

          I am not only going to answer your question because you are so very kind and I find someone who listens to my thoughts and feelings but also because I hope there might be people who feel it could help them
          in some way or another. I really have no intention to just talk and make others listen to my little life experiences. They are all in good and divine hands with Guru.

          You asked: "Here, after Guru's passing, how many tears have you shed?

          Michael, what do you think - how many tears have been shed by others
          including your good self? Only Mother Earth and Father Heaven know!

          Somehow I feel that the two poems "God's Patience-Love-Light"
          and "Come Closer" are in relationship to each other and that they
          have a kind of healing effect - simply because I have a spiritual
          goal and a spiritual guide.

          I wrote poems in my youth but often I felt even more entangled with
          problems. I gave up writing.

          "The child in the play-ground" was an image that was stuck in my mind
          for many years. It didn't refer to play with mud and clay - meaning to play with ignorance or darkness - I literally meant what I said.

          I was often reminded and more and more aware of what you wrote in your short story "The Daughter of Tara" - that I was privileged to read - where you wrote (forgive me that I am paraphrasing) that physically we are grown ups and we are doing our respective jobs but inwardly the child is struggling to grow.

          In my case this was so very true. My grief was much deeper than that about Guru's passing away.

          It was again your poem "The Master-Thief" that made me aware of my deep sadness that I had been cherishing over years not being fully aware that grieving had become a habit.

          There was still another aspect of sadness. When I was a new disciple
          I felt so much in Guru's philosophy and my closeness to Guru was immediately there. I was the happiest person in the word since I started meditating. I hope I will one day be able to describe my happiness I felt when I saw Guru for the first time in Berlin in 1990. I was in Seventh Heaven. And I will forever be grateful to him and to Michael Gorbachev for the liberation of my former country.

          You wrote in one of your latest messages that the human in you would
          be rebelling when listening to Guru's music for too long. Guru's
          music carries such high consciousness. In silence I agreed and
          nodded.

          But somehow when I realised and felt that I was still "shyness
          incarnate" when meeting with Guru's loving peaceful glance I tried to
          challenge it and I was reminded of Guru saying (paraphrasing) that
          meditation cannot be overdone when it is done with a loving attitude.
          There is no "must" but only love for meditation. I smelled a "trap"
          in you saying you cannot listen to Guru's music for hours because you
          are such a loving person whose closeness to Guru is so noticeable.

          When we meditate, listen to Guru's songs, sing his songs, read his
          books we can't otherwise but being happy!

          Now I don't know whether I have answered your question appropriately.
          But I am ever so grateful to you for your loving care for all of us.
          You are a real elder brother to me.

          Thank you as well for the correction of the poem. Now it looks
          nice. :-)

          I am realising that I am mixing up the gender of the words in
          English. In German the word "child" is neuter. But of course it is
          also a subject and not an object.

          The small "p" was a slip.

          But I am often confused about "on", "at", "above", "over", "under", "beneath" maybe the best would be to spend some time living and working in America to learn proper English.

          Doris

          P.S. Where do I find the .pdf version of your poem "The Soul's Voice?
          I know you are a most modest person who very rarely speaks about himself. The more it touches me that you are telling us with all the
          confidence of the world that Guru gave you this poem.

          P.P.S. I am very happy you accepted our invitation. Of course there
          are more important things to do in the world and you may want to save
          your money for other projects. But know that the World Harmony Run will be in Switzerland from March 27th to April 4th 2008. You and Arpan are very warmly welcomed to participate.