Re: Read This if you Dare

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
      Dear Arpan,

      ...and where would this site be without your heartfelt contributions!
      Thank you so much.

      May I add some of my thoughts about writing and reading here. If it
      would be for sure the whole world is reading here perhaps I wouldn't
      type a word. But what encourages me to continue is that there might
      be people out there who are reading and that they may get to know
      that students of Sri Chinmoy's are 'normal' people who are trying to
      become better human beings by practicing meditation through Guru's
      loving guidance. (This reminds me of what Abhinabha said in message
      21277, "Hey, I am a human being!") Thank God, we are!

      As a human being I so much appreciate it when people are weaving
      their personal experiences that are in no way separated from their
      spiritual experiences into their posts. Sumangali's posts are a
      shining example for doing so. To mention only a few I love but did
      not know how to reply to. (Michael found the perfect words).

      A Foreign Tourist At Home

      I was right there and it reminded me of my own excursions in Zurich,
      Switzerland and Vienna, Austria.

      NOT-IN-THE-CAVE: Ananda, Shindhu and Adarsha

      I am quite an Ananda and Shindhu fan, Sumangali. Adarsha's
      performances are of a very high standard.

      Another reason why I am reading and posting here is that I am very
      grateful for the inspiration I am getting from other's contributions.
      I am personally not as much in contact with other students of Sri
      Chinmoy's as I would like to be. So here is an opportunity to share
      my thoughts and feelings.

      I admit it is a good feeling when other people are gratefully
      appreciating the existence of this Inspiration Group. Therefore I may
      say here and now for the first time how much I am appreciating each
      and every post that is written by others. I would eagerly like to
      reply to all of them. But I clearly see the moderators approaching me
      with a noodle-something made of wood ;-)

      I also know good people who do not own a computer at home but are reading during their lunch break.

      If someone would grant me a wish I would beg Sumangali to pass me a
      bell and I would gladly pass it on to Nayak. I would be so happy if
      he could find some time to post again or at least ring the bell from
      time to time. Nayak's contrubutions are so inspiring to me and for
      many others.

      I remember about four years ago I was sharing a flat with another
      student. Usually when I came home from work in the evening I found
      her in front of the computer and read out loud some of Nayak's
      humorous posts and laughing like anything. But she didn't contribute
      to the site. For me computers didn't have any meaning at that time.
      But she wouldn't stop reading messages out loud.

      Thank you again, Arpan for writing and inspiring us so constantly.

      Doris
    • smarana31
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
        Thank you Arpan and Sumangali for inspiring people to contribute to
        the inspiration group. It is always nice to see new names pop up at
        this site.

        Actually, I wanted to take a break from contributing to this site,
        since x-mas business has dawned upon Madal Bal and the working hours
        have doubled; but after your inspiring posts, I could not resist to
        contribute.

        When I was reading Suren's post about his poem, I wanted to ask him if
        he would like to change positions with me until x-mas. It sounded so
        romantic to chop garlic and ponder on Guru's poems, while I am
        fighting the shopping battle here in Madal Bal. It is the busiest
        street in Vienna and up to 5000 customers are coming per day on 200
        square meters. ... I know, I know, the grass is always greener on the
        other side. Especially in a restaurant it can be very busy.

        Actually, I have to say that I also like the time in a way. It is a
        totally different way of working, and newness is always good, to shake
        off the shackles of getting stuck in crusty ways of dealing with the
        day to day life.

        So may the battle continue

        Smarana
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
          Smarana (and other posters, however infrequently),

          Thank you for your contributions as well. We all know that to
          contribute here means sitting in front of a computer and typing away.
          For many people it is not their idea of an inspiring way to spend
          their time. But for sharing and manifestation purposes it is yet
          another way to express ourselves in a spiritually rewarding way, that
          is if you can stand the computer screen and keyboard, which some of us
          obviously have no problems with.

          I hope you still have time for running, considering how busy you
          described it to be there in Vienna. Yes, you are right about the
          'grass being greener on the other side'. I always dreamed of going to
          Vienna and I almost made it there with Shambhu in 2001 when we were
          going to come for the last week of the Peace Run that year. But it
          never happened because of 9/11 tragedy. There are other European
          cities I would love to visit as well as I get so much inspiration from
          disciples in those Centres such as Prague, Bratislava, Vienna,
          Zurich, Budapest, Edinburgh, London, Milan and others.

          Don't get me wrong, I love it here in 'good ole' N.Y. and my proximity
          to all the Enterprises and Aspiration-Ground. I have been here for
          over 30 years after moving from Connecticut which seemed so far away
          in the early days of the Centre, but it was only an hour drive or so
          to get down here. So it seems that physical location is very relative
          and at the same time irrelevant to our inner aspiration. As Sri
          Chinmoy sings in 'Songs From The Upanishads': "Seated he travels afar,
          lying down he journeys everywhere." [unofficial]
          (So I think I will lay down for a while.)

          (Still seated)…If we do not allow ourselves to get 'hung up' or
          attached to our outer circumstances and instead accept where we are
          and what we are doing at the time, then we can relax into a happy type
          of aspiration where the real experiences and joys come from within.
          Some people will never understand what other people experience
          inwardly when it seems that outwardly life is not that appealing or
          exciting.

          For example, many people do not understand how a long distance runner
          can get enjoyment or fulfillment from spending hours on the road or
          going around in circles. If one tries to understand this with the mind
          then certainly the feeling of boredom or suffering comes into play.
          But when we can experience running or any other seemingly unexciting
          activity such as chopping vegetables, selling merchandise, etc. with
          an inner vision and higher consciousness, then everything is new and
          exciting.

          As you can see that once I get going I have no trouble typing away,
          perhaps too much. Maybe it's all the long distance training I have put
          in over the decades. I really should get out of this comfortable chair
          and go for a long run.

          We just had our first snowfall in New York and it is very damp, dreary
          and cold out there. As I sit here typing and meditating on the fresh
          snowfall out on Normal Road I feel a sense of gratitude for the
          opportunities given us all to be able to do the daily things that we
          take for granted such as working, walking, running, even typing and
          meditating. I try to do some or all of these everyday to keep my sense
          of dynamic gratitude alive and well.

          When I visit some of my friends in the hospital which I have been
          doing on a regular basis, I see how much we can take for granted in
          our own `normal' or healthy lives. Many of those bedridden people
          cannot walk, or run, or type, or work, or struggle with the normal
          activities that we sometimes consider burdens in our own daily lives.

          So as I get prepared to get up and out into the `nasty' weather, I
          will change my attitude and try to see only beauty and peace in it and
          in all the experiences which may come my way today. And I am grateful
          that we have brothers and sisters all over the world who we can share
          these important experiences with in similar ways. It is a testament to
          our wonderful Spiritual Father who has given so much over the last
          five decades to unite so many people from all corners of globe and
          such varying walks of life in very spiritual enriching ways.

          Keep working, running, meditating and writing,

          Arpan

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Thank you Arpan and Sumangali for inspiring people to contribute to
          > the inspiration group. It is always nice to see new names pop up at
          > this site.
          >
          > Actually, I wanted to take a break from contributing to this site,
          > since x-mas business has dawned upon Madal Bal and the working hours
          > have doubled; but after your inspiring posts, I could not resist to
          > contribute.
          >
          > When I was reading Suren's post about his poem, I wanted to ask him if
          > he would like to change positions with me until x-mas. It sounded so
          > romantic to chop garlic and ponder on Guru's poems, while I am
          > fighting the shopping battle here in Madal Bal. It is the busiest
          > street in Vienna and up to 5000 customers are coming per day on 200
          > square meters. ... I know, I know, the grass is always greener on the
          > other side. Especially in a restaurant it can be very busy.
          >
          > Actually, I have to say that I also like the time in a way. It is a
          > totally different way of working, and newness is always good, to shake
          > off the shackles of getting stuck in crusty ways of dealing with the
          > day to day life.
          >
          > So may the battle continue
          >
          > Smarana

        • sumangali_m
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
            Arpan, Doris, Smarana, my reading here of late has been a little
            random and far from chronological. At last, late on Sunday night, when
            all the work of the week is done, I am finally catching up with missed
            posts, and I find your utterly heart-warming messages. I don't have
            enough brain-fuel left at this time in the week to respond as fully as
            I'd like, but come at least to ring a very small hand cymbal. Thank
            you. God bless you all.

            Sumangali

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Arpan and Sumangali for inspiring people to contribute to
            > the inspiration group. It is always nice to see new names pop up at
            > this site.
            >
            > Actually, I wanted to take a break from contributing to this site,
            > since x-mas business has dawned upon Madal Bal and the working hours
            > have doubled; but after your inspiring posts, I could not resist to
            > contribute.
            >
            > When I was reading Suren's post about his poem, I wanted to ask him if
            > he would like to change positions with me until x-mas. It sounded so
            > romantic to chop garlic and ponder on Guru's poems, while I am
            > fighting the shopping battle here in Madal Bal. It is the busiest
            > street in Vienna and up to 5000 customers are coming per day on 200
            > square meters. ... I know, I know, the grass is always greener on the
            > other side. Especially in a restaurant it can be very busy.
            >
            > Actually, I have to say that I also like the time in a way. It is a
            > totally different way of working, and newness is always good, to shake
            > off the shackles of getting stuck in crusty ways of dealing with the
            > day to day life.
            >
            > So may the battle continue
            >
            > Smarana

          • vasanti_hd
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
              No Heidelberg? :)

              Just back from a "short" run (1 h) Instead of working (some translations are waiting) here I am again reading the latest posts
              and checking my last one.

              Here it was raining - a thunderstorm is supposed to be approaching,
              but I had missed running yesterday and this morning and want to go
              for 51 km next Saturday, so I thought I better get out there! Looking
              out of the window you could hear and see the raindrops falling
              heavily in the black night on the dimly lit asphalt, with the wind
              picking up. Well - as my father used to say, there is no bad weather,
              only inappropriate clothing. Plus there is a special charm to running
              at night, along a river, towards the sparkling lights, like diamonds,
              of a little town nestled between two hills, even in the rain - this
              feeling of braving the elements - aren't we all heroes and warriors
              anyway?!

              The funny thing was, as soon as I went out, the rain and wind abated,
              and I took down my hood, enjoying this bit of more freedom. As I
              crossed the bridge across the river, I saw a couple of bizarre black
              clouds in the distance, being swept across the sky, against a lighter
              background. It looked a bit threatening, but well, let the weather
              come... I stood on the bridge for a while, enjoying the turbulent
              waters under me, when I suddenly realised that the "black clouds"
              were the sky, and the "white background" were the clouds, now coming
              closer and covering the black. I had to laugh - how often do we see
              black and think black, but if we brave things they may turn out white?

              On my way back along the other side of the river it struck me that
              the rain had almost completely ceased, as if a blessing for my going
              out to run. A few hundred metres before my house it picked up again.
              Inwardly I was joking with the "higher forces": can't you wait just a
              little longer please, I am almost home! As soon as I was inside, it
              picked up like anything again.

              It reminded me of something Guru had once said in regard to Channel
              swimming, when a number of his students had not made it, to the point
              that outer conditions can change very easily and quickly, if you have
              faith. I don't know where to find this quote right now, but I found
              something similarly inspiring on the Library Website, which also
              matches a little what Arpan has said about outer conditions:

              "If we are absolutely dedicated
              To the divine cause,
              And if we can listen to the dictates
              Of our inner being
              At every moment,
              Our inner being will create
              Outer circumstances that will help us
              In our spiritual life." - Sri Chinmoy

              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/283.html

              Of course I have also gone out running in pouring rain and it became
              even worse, but today's experience still has happened many times in
              similar ways.

              Vasanti
              (not giving up learning to listen)

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > cannot walk, or run, or type, or work, or struggle with the normal
              > activities that we sometimes consider burdens in our own daily
              lives.

              > So as I get prepared to get up and out into the `nasty' weather, I
              > will change my attitude and try to see only beauty and peace in it
              and
              > in all the experiences which may come my way today. And I am
              grateful
              > that we have brothers and sisters all over the world who we can
              share
              > these important experiences with in similar ways. It is a testament
              > our wonderful Spiritual Father who has given so much over the last
              > five decades to unite so many people from all corners of globe and
              > such varying walks of life in very spiritual enriching ways.
              >
              > Keep working, running, meditating and writing,

            • vlad_fed
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
                [Dear Vlad, please make sure to follow the safety guidelines
                appended at the end of your post. Thank you]

                Hi, Arpan,

                I've been a silent reader for a long time.
                It's a very inspiring forum really!
                Arpan, you dared me, I do type with ten fingers and decided to drop
                a line or two. I am a disciple from Almaty, Kazakhstan (former
                Soviet republic).

                Cheers,
                Vlad

                [Dear Vlad,
                For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below:

                1) Hide Your Email Address

                Please set your member preferences so that your email address will not be visible.

                - First click on this link:
                If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                - Check the box where it says:
                "Hide my email and IP address from the group moderators"

                - Under "Message Delivery", select:
                "Web Only. Read messages only on the web"

                - Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

                Now when you post, your email address will not be visible anymore to anybody.

                2) Turn Off Invitations
                - First click on this link:
                If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email
                addresses will appear.

                - To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in
                blue. Click on it.

                Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:
                Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
                Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

                - By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
                - Click the Save Changes button.
                - Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

                Thank you
                Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]
              • abhinabha
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Dear Arpan and Vasanti,

                  Your running posts are totally inspiring! I already went for a run
                  today, but my legs are itching to get out again into the night rain
                  and log a few miles. Ah well, let me write this post instead.

                  There is something very special about running in inclement weather.
                  Some of my best runs have been in the pouring rain or the biting cold.
                  The way nature lashes down on you and the way you hold your head high
                  and just put one leg in front of the other, enjoying the trance-like
                  rhythm of your feet dancing away the road...

                  And suddenly nature surrenders! I know what Vasanti is talking about,
                  I have also experienced it many times.
                  I like what Emile Zatopek said about it:

                  "There's a great advantage in training under unfavourable conditions."

                  I also enjoy Sri Chinmoy's comment on that utterance:

                  "For when victory dawns, everything becomes sweet, illumining and
                  fulfilling. At that time, unfavourable conditions are no longer seen
                  as unfavourable but as necessary steps to bring to the fore the
                  runner's ultimate capacity."

                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/emil-zatopek/7.html

                  Two weeks ago I participated in a big 15K race in the city I grew up
                  in, which is called Nijmegen and lies in the East of Holland, close to
                  the German border. This race - the "7 hills race" - is very popular,
                  drawing almost 30,000 people. It also holds the world record for 15K.

                  To me a race is the summit of running joy. It is a test of strength,
                  will and courage: how deep will you go? It is painful and at the same
                  time it is joyful, especially after crossing the finish line! And
                  running together with thousands of others creates such a powerful
                  feeling of oneness. It is also at the perfect time of year, in the
                  middle of autumn when the trees are at their heights of beauty, with
                  falling leaves of gold preceding you wherever you turn. Oh, I do love
                  autumn!

                  Keep on running and smiling and becoming!

                  Best wishes,
                  Abhinabha

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, vasanti_hd
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > swimming, when a number of his students had not made it, to the point
                  > that outer conditions can change very easily and quickly, if you have
                  > faith. I don't know where to find this quote right now, but I found
                  > something similarly inspiring on the Library Website, which also
                  > matches a little what Arpan has said about outer conditions:
                  >
                  > "If we are absolutely dedicated
                  > To the divine cause,
                  > And if we can listen to the dictates
                  > Of our inner being
                  > At every moment,
                  > Our inner being will create
                  > Outer circumstances that will help us
                  > In our spiritual life." - Sri Chinmoy

                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/283.html

                  > Of course I have also gone out running in pouring rain and it became
                  > even worse, but today's experience still has happened many times in

                • purnakama2000
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Ochyen Horosho and Spacebo Vlad for ringing the bell!

                    Welcome welcome welcome:)

                    Purnakama
                  • arpan_deangelo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                      It is very nice to hear from you, Vlad.

                      Bolshoia spaciba!(I love the Russian language and studied it many
                      years ago for a while but forgot much of the little I learned.)

                      We would love to hear more from you and any inspiring experiences or
                      feelings you wish to share here. Even just a reply, like the one you
                      just sent, is very welcome. We hope others will do the same even if
                      they feel they have not much to say.

                      The fact is that some of us like to talk, or in this case, write more
                      than others. It's not so much that we like to hear ourselves talk or
                      see what we write in public, but more as a sharing from the heart in
                      ways that we feel creates more of a sense of oneness in the way our
                      great Master, Sri Chinmoy, encouraged and taught us.

                      Although his teaching was essentially a silent teaching and inner
                      teaching, Sri Chinmoy's ability to manifest and share this deep inner
                      reality and Truth was remarkably creative and innocent. It could be
                      something as simple as a sweet story or rhyming poem. There is no
                      necessity to have literary skills or even perfect English. Just write
                      from the heart and make it simple.

                      In your case, many people are curious about your part of the world.I
                      know one or two people from Kazakhstan and I have heard of how
                      beautiful it is there. Would love to hear more. Maybe we could even
                      practice a few Russian phrases here like: (Ochin Pryatna
                      pahznahkomitsah- Very happy to meet you). Don't laugh too hard when I
                      try to speak your language, but it's fun.

                      'Paka' for now,

                      Arpan