Re: A Beginning, an End, and an Eternity and God's creatures

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      Dear Sumangali,
      Your words of encouragement for ongoing and especially new bell
      ringers feel like the perfect first place to share a few words here
      now that I have returned from ten days on retreat.*

      Since I usually share here frequently, my not using the Internet for a
      while brings an altogether different perspective. I came home
      and read a host of illumining, thought and soul provoking messages
      from the silent reader point of view because I didn't use the Internet
      but once on my trip. Now that I'm out of the flow, it truthfully feels
      somewhat daunting to dive back in and do a few laps -- yes you'll find
      some swimming and ocean imagery from me with so much time in
      the idyllic waters of the Caribbean fresh in my being. :-)

      The shoe is suddenly on the other foot. Putting that first toe in the
      water can be tough. Then if someone writes, it must be hard if
      dialogue does not flow from it. Sumangali wrote,

      "It means a lot when someone takes time to say how they feel, and
      sticks their neck out to do so: either in an original message or in
      response to one written by someone else."

      I often sincerely wish time permitted thoughtful replies to all who
      share here even though I know it would be a time-consuming task. I
      find myself remembering Subarnamala's beautiful message #20940 about
      oneness during the Memorial Week and regretting that I never replied
      to it specifically.

      She shared this with us on November 3rd as a reply to Suren's equally
      powerful post #20822 on oneness after Sri Chinmoy's mahasamadhi:
      Sadly she has not written since then - I miss the peal of her bell.
      Luckily Suren is still writing.

      Even though I'm ordinarily chatty here, I truly struggled to overcome
      a sense of intimidation about writing again after I finished reading
      most of the messages I missed while away. Then my thoughts flew to a
      prayer recitation by Ashani's prayer group I was lucky enough to
      participate in. The morning of the day I flew home a group of girls
      led by Ashani recited 50 "My God-Hunger-Cry" prayers from memory. Kind
      of true to form as an American (one of only a couple in the group), I
      needed a little remedial instruction on the goal of blending and
      melting all as one voice because I was reciting a little too loudly
      during the practices. Ironically, my loudness was not because I felt I
      knew them thoroughly, more just a quest to convince myself of what
      came next through sheer exuberance.

      I suddenly thought of my own stereotype of Americans in a kind of
      frontier mode (Hey I even have pioneers who went by covered wagon out
      West in my family history) going along a little oblivious to the rest
      of the world and slightly over eager and zealous in one very big
      country. That spirit sometimes creates a strong independent streak and
      that "too many chiefs and not enough Indians syndrome." :-) In places
      like Europe, there are so many countries adjacent to one another and
      the European Union fosters ever-increasing cooperation. None of the
      European members of our group needed coaching on the one voice from
      many method we strove to achieve.

      I tried to quickly mend my ways and learn by their example. I lowered
      my voice and redoubled my efforts to feel oneness within the group.
      This immediately intensified a feeling of sweet soulfulness and
      harmony. By the time of the performance, I was blessed to deeply
      experience that sense of oneness that far surpasses my individual
      self. My voice didn't even seem to be my own and I hardly recognized
      it. The surface me was not the one who spoke that's for sure.

      Somehow I feel that there is a lesson for hesitation to write and
      share here and the feelings we glimpse in deep meditation or in
      singing and reciting Sri Chinmoy's utterances.

      Perhaps it is partially the feeling that the deepest beauty comes in
      oneness and fulness. The more people that share here the sweeter the
      expression.

      Perhaps it is also the feeling that if some posts engender a feeling
      that what we might share is a tiny hill in comparison to their
      loftiness, it is rather the opposite. When we blend as one voice with
      true banishment of a sense of superior or inferior, only then does the
      deepest beauty again flourish.

      And finally perhaps it is just another expression of the intensified
      yearning for community, family and oneness that has become a real key
      in our lives since October 11th. In this forum, that takes the form of
      wishing for silent readers to become at least fleeting bell-ringers.
      And just like how in the prayer recitation it was so special to strive
      for oneness without any one voice standing apart, the more voices that
      could chime in here would truly herald victory.

      May I finish with one of the prayers we recited that is exquisitely
      beautiful:

      "My aspiration-heart is breathlessly in rapture in the blue vast sky.
      It has seen God's signature."
      My "God-Hunger-Cry" prayer - Sri Chinmoy
      [unofficial]

      -Sharani
      *In their essential core, these days offered vivid and powerful
      opportunities to deepen our oneness and heart's connections with each
      other along with the certitude of Guru's inner guidance in our lives
      even if no longer supplemented by his outer physical presence.

      I honestly feel no less transformed from the experience than
      any other Christmas trip. My ordinary human mind is still awed and
      overwhelmed by such an experience. More on that will have to wait
      until the entire trip is over.

      - In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Ten days late, *thank you* for this kind message, Purnakama. Your
      > chiming is music to my ears. Sometimes it is not so comfortable baring
      > one's soul to the whole world. It is more solace than you may know to
      > find that my words sometimes find a safe harbour of kindness.
      >
      > Just because someone might find it relatively easy to put their
      > thoughts and feelings into writing, does not mean those thoughts and
      > feelings are any less vulnerable in a public arena. It means a lot
      > when someone takes time to say how they feel, and sticks their neck
      > out to do so: either in an original message or in response to one
      > written by someone else. I don't do this myself as much as I could.
      >
      > To any silent readers out there, I hope we hear from you soon, even if
      > it's just to say hello. I know even that might not be easy (really, I
      > *do*), but it might just be worth the effort. It's sometimes lonely
      > out here on the public limb :-)
      >
      > I love the sound of many church bells ringing together in a round, I
      > love the sweetness of many hand bells playing a tune; so much merrier
      > than one tolling into a void. Oneness seems more important now than it
      > ever was.
      >
      > Sumangali
      > Bringing some bells and bidding you ring, dear World (even
      cacophonously)
      > Go on, I dare you

    • sarah_inseattle
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        Dear Sharani,
        I am all admiration for the way you gracefully slipped back into the
        pool, even carrying with you all the light of the retreat back to
        us! Welcome home, we missed you!

        Sarah
        P.S. Would you like to join Purnakama, Doris, Beverly and me for
        online-tea at Purnakama's place? (see #21342, for instance)

> [...]
        > > written by someone else. I don't do this myself as much as I
        could.

        > > To any silent readers out there, I hope we hear from you soon,
        even if
        > > it's just to say hello. I know even that might not be easy
        (really, I
        > > *do*), but it might just be worth the effort. It's sometimes
        lonely
        > > out here on the public limb :-)
        > >
        > > I love the sound of many church bells ringing together in a
        round, I
        > > love the sweetness of many hand bells playing a tune; so much
        merrier
        > > than one tolling into a void. Oneness seems more important now
        than it
        > > ever was.
        > >
        > > Sumangali
        > > Bringing some bells and bidding you ring, dear World (even

      • sumangali_m
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
          Dear Sharani,

          Welcome back.

          Thank you for bringing some glimpses of your trip; although, as you
          say, the outer details are pending, the inner light you have received
          shines brightly through your greetings. It is most encouraging (in
          fact, a great relief) to hear that you have received as much inner
          nourishment as on previous trips: further assurance that Sri
          Chinmoy's inner presence may be as tangible as his former outer
          presence.

          Silence may so often breed doubt that one has been understood. Your
          anecdote is an absolutely perfect parallel, offered with such warmth
          and humility. It spoke my own sentiments much more clearly and
          powerfully than my message to which you replied. Thank you so much.

          * * *

          Dear Silent Readers,

          I absolutely respect your divine right to remain silent, and I am
          sincerely grateful for your strengthening presence in this group.

          My invitation was meant only as encouragement to those who remain
          silent out of timidity. I meant only to tell you that I myself am
          naturally timorous; it is only through God's Grace and Sri Chinmoy's
          inner and outer encouragement that I have managed to overcome it to
          the extent of saying anything at all in a public space. I still have a
          long, long way to go, but any baby steps taken thus far have brought
          me nothing but progress.

          Mind you, ask me to speak alone publicly, or sing into an
          audience — however forgiving — and you will see the trembling mouse in
          me. If you feel that way about writing, you have my full sympathy, but
          more constructive than that: my prayer that you feel encouraged to
          join this choir of bells, if you are so inclined.

          With best wishes to all
          Sumangali
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
            Dear Sarah,
            After I entered my tea order in my reply to Vasanti's message, now I
            read yours! Sorry about that. As you can see in that message, I'm
            drinking Decaf chai with pumpkin flavored soymilk in it. Then there's
            always blueberry rooibos tea at Ketan's Panorama Cafe beckoning as well.

            Today I saw my first snow - what a wonderful experience. And how odd
            when only two days ago the whiteness surrounding me was the softest
            delicate sand on the beach or the froth of a wave. Here are some
            pictures from my trip
            http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/tropicaltransformation/

            Affectionately,
            Sharani