Re: Winter and Christmas carols

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      Brrr... it was -30c here last night Sarah, so that tea really smells
      good right now! And the fire is very soothing and warming. I just
      came in from outside so I'll have to put on my fuzzy slippers and
      cozy up a little closer to it.

      And yes, 17c above zero is approximately 62F above zero. I also know
      that that the 2 scales meet at approximately -40 c or F.
      We were frighteningly close to that last night, and then I forgot to
      unplug my car this morning and I dragged my block heater cord all
      the way to work under my car. I do it at least once a winter!
      Luckily it still works as it's going to be just as frosty tonight.

      Keep the kettle on and the fire blazing:)
      I'll be coming back for a few more steaming cups!

      Purnakama

      PS for a real treat, try boiling apple juice with cinnamon, cardomom
      and nutmeg. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi Purnakama! Hi Doris! Hi Beverly!
      > Ring ring! Hi everybody! Sorry I'm late--- tea time isn't over
      yet, I
      > hope? Forgive my rushing in... I've brought some herbal chai tea
      > with honey, made by Silence-Heart-Nest Restauarnt here in Seattle.
      > It is the best! Will you try some with me?
      >
      > Mmmmm, Purnakama's Bengali spice tea smells great. So does Doris's
      > Roiboos Vanille! And look at that pretty red color.
      >
      > What a nice fire you have going! I do believe I'll pull my chair
      up
      > a little closer.
      >
      > I am loving reading the wintry scene Purnakama has painted for us.
      > just love walking in a snowfall at night. Aren't your days very
      > short now, as we approach the winter solstice? In Seattle, we will
      > have 8 hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year, with
      > sunrise around 8 a.m. and sunset around 4 p.m. What about where
      you
      > are, Doris?
      >
      > I had never heard the alternate lyrics to Away in a Manger. They
      are
      > very sweet. Who did you say wrote the lyrics?
      >
      > Geez, I really screwed up with that unit converter from Celsius to
      > Farenheit, heh heh heh. I think it was the negative sign (or lack
      > thereof.) Is 17 Celsius equal to 62 Farenheit? I give up! Well, -
      17
      > degrees Celsius/O degrees Farenheit is still pretty darned cold.
      >
      > Now let us try some of these homemade shortbread cookies...who did
      > you say made them? Oh, Purnakama, I almost forgot: I brought you
      > some chocolate! Anybody else want some?
      >
      > In Winter Cosy-ness,
      > Sarah
      > Seattle

    • assistantmummer
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2007
        Arpan, there's an outstanding interview with Suprabha in the
        Washington Running Report. Have you seen it?

        http://www.runwashington.com/features/profileSuprabha06.html

        She seems to have as much poise in her "interview form" as she does in
        her running form.

        Michael

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Very moving and inspiring stories, Smarana. Keep them coming.
        >
        > You have inspired and encouraged many a multi-day novice to brave the
        > miles and reach the goal as you have done so many times, and very
        > successfully I might add. Who knows, maybe even an old veteran as
        > myself may try another multi-day someday. But don't hold me to it.
        >
        > At this point I can run the short miles and write about the long ones.
        > All the more credit to those like Suprabha who just keep on trying and
        > reaching the goal. It doesn't get any easier over time. But then
        > again, there is nothing more fulfilling than attempting the challenges
        > that Guru set before us, each in our own way.
        > Thanks again.
        >
        > Gratefully,
        > Arpan

      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2007
          Thank you Michael. That was a great link for runners and non-runners
          alike to enjoy. I think even those who do not run much or even run at
          all can relate to some of the things that Suprabha talks about in this
          interview. She is very sincere, unpretentious and genuine in her
          approach. It was quite an experience to run in the same race as her
          when I ran the 3100 mile race in 2004.

          That reminds me of an amusing incident that happened once in the race
          with Suprabha that I would like to share here. It was late one night
          sometime in the middle of the race and we were all quite tired and
          spaced out. A group of us, maybe three or four guys, were inspired to
          pick up the pace for a while. Even then we were only running maybe a
          ten minute per mile pace which seemed quite speedy in this race. As we
          approached Suprabha running much slower up ahead we were rather noisy.
          When we reached her she turned to us and said, "What's going on here?
          I think we all need sticks to run with", as she made the motion of
          kids running on hobby horses.(These are toy horse heads on the end of
          sticks that kids run with when pretending to ride horses).

          Perhaps you had to be there, but it was funny to us at the time as it
          made us realize that we sounded like a bunch of horses running wildly.
          Suprabha, who was usually quite focused and serious, spontaneously
          portrayed the image into an innocent scene of 'hobby horses'. It was
          pretty funny at the time, after having run for about 14 hours already
          that day.

          Now that you got me started,I may get inspired to contribute some more
          3100 mile race stories soon. I hope Smarana and others will do the
          same. More later......

          Gratefully,
          Arpan

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, assistantmummer
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Arpan, there's an outstanding interview with Suprabha in the
          > Washington Running Report. Have you seen it?
          >
          > http://www.runwashington.com/features/profileSuprabha06.html
          >
          > She seems to have as much poise in her "interview form" as she does in
          > her running form.
          >
          > Michael
        • baridhi_bulgaria
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2007
            Thank very much you Smarana, Arpan and Michael.

            Please, please everybody post more stories like these. I think that
            many are hungry for them. :)

            Yours in the Inner and outer running,
            Baridhi

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Michael. That was a great link for runners and non-runners
            > alike to enjoy. I think even those who do not run much or even run at
            > all can relate to some of the things that Suprabha talks about in this
            > interview. She is very sincere, unpretentious and genuine in her
            > approach. It was quite an experience to run in the same race as her
            > when I ran the 3100 mile race in 2004.
            >
            > That reminds me of an amusing incident that happened once in the race
            > with Suprabha that I would like to share here. It was late one night
            > sometime in the middle of the race and we were all quite tired and
            > spaced out. A group of us, maybe three or four guys, were inspired to
            > pick up the pace for a while. Even then we were only running maybe a
            > ten minute per mile pace which seemed quite speedy in this race. As we
            > approached Suprabha running much slower up ahead we were rather noisy.
            > When we reached her she turned to us and said, "What's going on here?
            > I think we all need sticks to run with", as she made the motion of
            > kids running on hobby horses.(These are toy horse heads on the end of
            > sticks that kids run with when pretending to ride horses).
            >
            > Perhaps you had to be there, but it was funny to us at the time as it
            > made us realize that we sounded like a bunch of horses running wildly.
            > Suprabha, who was usually quite focused and serious, spontaneously
            > portrayed the image into an innocent scene of 'hobby horses'. It was
            > pretty funny at the time, after having run for about 14 hours already
            > that day.
            >
            > Now that you got me started,I may get inspired to contribute some more
            > 3100 mile race stories soon. I hope Smarana and others will do the
            > same. More later......
            >
            > Gratefully,
            > Arpan
            >
            > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, assistantmummer
            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Arpan, there's an outstanding interview with Suprabha in the
            > > Washington Running Report. Have you seen it?
            > >
            > > http://www.runwashington.com/features/profileSuprabha06.html
            > >
            > > She seems to have as much poise in her "interview form" as she does in
            > > her running form.
            > >
            > > Michael

          • assistantmummer
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
              Dear Arpan,

              Your story about Suprabha stayed with me. I think it helps to know
              about her running style, physical form, and personality.

              I do not know her, but in learning about Sri Chinmoy's philosophy of
              sport, I came to read some articles and interviews, and see her picture.

              A few years back, Bhuvah wrote:

              "In this era, women are in the vanguard of many activities that were
              not available to them in former times, and the progress they have made
              in most arenas is remarkable. Sri Chinmoy has selflessly and naturally
              fostered and encouraged this process. ... In the world, it seems that
              men are releasing their hierarchies of power and dominance, and making
              room for feminine softness, love, wisdom and oneness, allowing women's
              natural abilities of communication, listening, sharing and compassion
              to come to the fore."

              Sri Chinmoy himself has said words to the effect that peace is solid
              power.

              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flame-waves/part1/9.html

              That is the essence of Suprabha's running style. She seems to get all
              her strength from peace. She enters into a place in her heart which is
              all peace, and then just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs from that
              place.

              She is of modest height. So Arpan, you guys were probably a hobby
              horse's head taller than her. And when you came along in a very
              dynamic way, you rousted her!

              Suprabha is the peaceful warrior of the ultra-distance world. She
              competes only with herself; and she always wins! Thursday morning, I
              was out for a brisk walk and even did some (mercifully) short
              windsprints. I was concentrating on her, and got this poem:

              Warrior
              (for Suprabha Beckjord)

              My Lord,
              How I admire your book,
              Warriors of the Inner World.
              Please tell me:
              How can I become such a warrior?

              "My child, simple:
              Just retire into your heart-cave."

              Father,
              If I retire into my heart-cave,
              No one will ever hear of me.

              "Child,
              The length and breadth
              Of the entire world will hear of you
              Because,
              You will run the length and breadth
              Of the entire world."

              * * *

              Michael

              P.S. Sorry to hear about Ted Corbitt. Right now I'm looking at a
              picture of him with Sri Chinmoy taken in 1978. Just two months ago, on
              October 13, Ted offered a tribute to Sri Chinmoy:

              http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/tributes/selected-comments-iv/
            • arpan_deangelo
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                Thank you Michael, for your warm reply about Ted and your wonderful
                and very meaningful poem about Suprabha. It definitely characterizes
                her quite well, which is surprising, since you have not even met her
                yet. I am sure that glorious day will come. Perhaps you can visit the
                3,100 mile race next year. I certainly plan to be there as well,
                probably as a helper, not a runner.

                The photo you saw of Sri Chinmoy and Ted Corbitt in 1978 was most
                likely at the 100 mile race in Flushing Meadows Park where Don Ritchie
                set an amazing and still unbeaten world record of 11 hours,50 minutes,
                which is incredible. I was also there and took a few kodak photos of
                Ted and Sri Chinmoy together, which is the first time that they met, I
                believe.

                That race in 1978 was unforgettable and immortal. This is what Ted
                said about that race,"The greatest ultra I ever saw was the 100-mile
                in Flushing Meadows Park(1978) where Don Ritchie ran 11:50. That was
                easily the best one I have seen. I have been in three world record
                races but I rate the Don Ritchie race superior."

                The other photo of Sri Chinmoy and Ted together from 1978 was the one
                where Sri Chinmoy gave an opening meditation at the New York City
                Marathon that year. Ted was holding a torch standing next to Sri
                Chinmoy who was meditating in a white dhoti. This photo is actually on
                the cover of Sri Chinmoy's book, 'Ten Thousand Flower Flames, Part
                10'. This is also an immortal photo. The torch is actually from our
                first 50-state relay run called 'Liberty Torch', held in 1976 to honor
                America's Bicentennial, or 200 years.

                In the field of running and long distance racing, Ted Corbitt and Sri
                Chinmoy are definitely the most influential 'warriors' and inspirers
                that the world has ever seen or may ever see for a long time. Now they
                are together in the inner worlds, running 'the length and breadth of
                the entire world', as you so aptly expressed in the last line of your
                poem. Thank you again for that wonderful sentiment.

                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Dear Arpan,
                >
                > Your story about Suprabha stayed with me. I think it helps to know
                > about her running style, physical form, and personality.
                >
                > I do not know her, but in learning about Sri Chinmoy's philosophy of
                > sport, I came to read some articles and interviews, and see her picture.
                >
                > A few years back, Bhuvah wrote:
                >
                > "In this era, women are in the vanguard of many activities that were
                > not available to them in former times, and the progress they have made
                > in most arenas is remarkable. Sri Chinmoy has selflessly and naturally
                > fostered and encouraged this process. ... In the world, it seems that
                > men are releasing their hierarchies of power and dominance, and making
                > room for feminine softness, love, wisdom and oneness, allowing women's
                > natural abilities of communication, listening, sharing and compassion
                > to come to the fore."

                > Sri Chinmoy himself has said words to the effect that peace is solid
                > power.
                >
                > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flame-waves/part1/9.html
                >
                > That is the essence of Suprabha's running style. She seems to get all
                > her strength from peace. She enters into a place in her heart which is
                > all peace, and then just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs from that
                > place.
                >
                > She is of modest height. So Arpan, you guys were probably a hobby
                > horse's head taller than her. And when you came along in a very
                > dynamic way, you rousted her!
                >
                > Suprabha is the peaceful warrior of the ultra-distance world. She
                > competes only with herself; and she always wins! Thursday morning, I
                > was out for a brisk walk and even did some (mercifully) short
                > windsprints. I was concentrating on her, and got this poem:
                >

                > Warrior
                > (for Suprabha Beckjord)
                >
                > My Lord,
                > How I admire your book,
                > Warriors of the Inner World.
                > Please tell me:
                > How can I become such a warrior?
                >
                > "My child, simple:
                > Just retire into your heart-cave."
                >
                > Father,
                > If I retire into my heart-cave,
                > No one will ever hear of me.
                >
                > "Child,
                > The length and breadth
                > Of the entire world will hear of you
                > Because,
                > You will run the length and breadth
                > Of the entire world."
                >
                > * * *
                >
                > Michael
                >
                > P.S. Sorry to hear about Ted Corbitt. Right now I'm looking at a
                > picture of him with Sri Chinmoy taken in 1978. Just two months ago, on
                > October 13, Ted offered a tribute to Sri Chinmoy:
                >
                > http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/tributes/selected-comments-iv/

              • bluebirds727
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                  This is a wonderful story Smarana. How I hope more will be coming
                  from you and our other intrepid runners (as Sahishnu often referred to
                  all of you long distance runners).

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you Arpan for your inspiring article!
                  > You inspired us in your article to write running experiences with Guru.
                  > Well I can not brag of having been around Guru for over 30 years and
                  > so I have to rely on the time, when Guru was getting joy from watching
                  > his students running.
                  > Well, I want to share two experiences that I had with Guru in the
                  > ultra running "world".
                  > 1994 I entered the multi day arena, with practically no experience.
                  > I felt an inner urge to go for it, also I had my doubts in the
                  beginning.
                  > So I was there, on Wards Island running my loops and trying to cope
                  > with the distance and pressure of finishing 700 miles.
                  > So, I was really pushing myself, with iron self discipline without any
                  > excuses.
                  > One night Guru was coming unusually late.
                  > There was this cute little blue house, nicely decorated and the light
                  > was on.
                  > I was basically crawling by that time, but I had not done my minimum,
                  > before taking a sleeping brake. So, I went there with the expectation
                  > of getting an extra boost, as it usually happend. So, after having
                  > taken the Prasad, I started running again. After half a lap, I got so
                  > tired, that I had to fight to my tent and take some sleep.
                  > So, Guru saw my exhaust and sent me to bed.
                  >
                  > My next multi day race, the first 10 day race, I got a total opposite
                  > experience.
                  > After Guru had driven around the race course, I could see a yellow
                  > light around my whole body, and the light would get brighter and
                  > bigger when my consciousness would be calm and would get smaller, when
                  > I got a little agitated. Having this light around me I could run any
                  > speed I would like to, with the inner confidence, not to get any
                  > injury. It was like an inexhaustible resource of energy, light and joy.
                  >
                  > So, my first race Guru set me to sleep and my second race he carried
                  > my around.
                  >
                  > Runners are Smilers
                  > Smarana

                • cott_doris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 16, 2007
                    Dear Arpan and Michael,

                    You inspired me to revisit the gallery of the 3100 mile race. There
                    are also two videos by Utpal.

                    I was so moved again by merely hearing the runners saying their
                    spiritual names. It was as the soul would directly speak to us and it
                    brought tears to my eyes.

                    http://www.srichinmoy.tv/tv/179

                    I was there twice for a few hours as a counter and as a spectator.
                    Somehow I never got into outer contact with Subrabha. She was so
                    focused on something inner. I am sure it is as Michael pointed out.
                    She was in her heart which is all peace and ran and ran.

                    I remember Guru also said that one of God's best qualities is his
                    inner poise. Inner poise would solve all our problems.

                    http://tinyurl.com/24d3wn

                    In one of the interviews she seems to say with a kind of
                    *mischievous* tone in her voice, "Inspite of obstacles I am
                    determined, nothing can hold me back." That is so inspiring. Subrabha
                    is 50 years old. This fact really strikes me. She inspired and still
                    inspires me not to give up (not having been running for about 7
                    months due to health problems) and to believe in my own strength and
                    to keep the hope that I will be running again in the future because I
                    also love running.

                    There are also many beautiful pictures of her finish the race at the
                    race gallery. They are so moving.

                    http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/gallery/3100/2007/day59/

                    With deepest gratitude

                    Doris

                    P.S. Arpan, I am also touched about the other runners' modesty. All
                    of them interviewed didn't know how many miles they had been running
                    so far. They are all humbly running with their hearts carrying Guru
                    inside. I think it is not possible to run this race otherwise.