Read This if you Dare

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
      Now that I have your attention, read on joyously:
      Sri Chinmoy's Father's Day Message, 1972

      "I shall not fail you if you can dare to think that I care for
      you." [unofficial]

      This very significant message has been embedded in my heart and
      consciousness for almost 36 years. It has saved me from many a downfall.
      It speaks to us on many levels and tells us who Sri Chinmoy really is.
      His Fatherly concern for us, even now that his physical is no longer on
      earth, is all-pervading and real,for those of us who can `dare'
      to think that he really does care for us.

      He cares for us in ways that we cannot fathom. The only way to know this
      is to dare to believe this, and consequently to receive the answers in
      real ways in our own lives. The best way to really understand the
      tremendous significance of this message is to meditate on it and try to
      live by it. These are only words that I speak, or write, here. But my
      life, as well as many other disciples of Sri Chinmoy who have
      experienced the spiritual reality of his love and concern for his
      spiritual children, are testimonies to the validity and beauty of this
      message.

      In the spirit of this `dare' theme, I wish to comment on what
      Sumangali wrote in one of her recent posts which inspired me to think of
      and share that message from Guru.

      In Sumangali's post #21314, she encourages people, especially
      readers who may usually shy away from replying or writing here, to
      `drop a line sometime'. In her own words: "To any silent
      readers out there, I hope we hear from you soon, even if it's just to
      say hello. I know even that might not be easy (really, I *do*), but it
      might just be worth the effort. It's sometimes lonely out here on the
      public limb :-)

      In ending her encouraging post, she signs off saying, "Bringing some
      bells and bidding you ring, dear World (even cacophonously)
      Go on, I dare you."

      In the spirit of daring and oneness with the family of souls who are
      inspired to read and/or write here, I wish to thank people like Michael,
      Doris, Purnakama, Sharani, Sumangali and others who contribute so
      lovingly here and who I am privileged to be in the company of on this
      wonderful forum where "oneness is more important than it ever
      was", again so nicely stated by Sumanagali in her uplifting post.

      As I was running today I was trying to understand what makes some people
      want to spend so much time reading and/or contributing to this website.
      Then I read Sumangali's post just on that theme and it all seemed to
      make sense. Perhaps in part, our mind and even ego likes to get some
      attention as we see our written creations posted publicly or our name up
      on the website.
      But for the most part I feel that most of us take this as a serious
      spiritual manifestation and enjoy sharing with others, disciples and
      otherwise, the inspiration we get from talking about, writing about and
      reading about Sri Chinmoy's incredible manifestation and spiritual
      guidance. It is in this spirit of `Oneness' and a sense of
      daring to understand and to express the profound experience of life on
      earth when it is lived with the proper spiritual attitude and
      consciousness.

      Sumangali again makes it clear that even though some of us may find it
      easier than others to share our feelings and inspiration in writing
      here, we still are daring to expose ourselves in the `public
      arena'. She states, "Just because someone might find it
      relatively easy to put their thoughts and feelings into writing, it does
      not mean those thoughts and feelings are any less vulnerable in a public
      arena. It means a lot when someone takes time to say how they feel, and
      sticks their neck out to do so: either in an original message or in
      response to one written by someone else."

      So if we can dare to think that our Guru cares for us, and if we can
      dare to care for his manifestation, then let us keep alive this
      wonderful forum and allow it to flower more prolifically than ever
      before. If you read, keep reading, and if you want to write and are shy
      to do so, just pretend you are talking to a friend and record your words
      or type them out immediately if you are a decent typist.

      I realize that some people may like to write but they hate to type.
      Luckily some of us learned to type with ten fingers a long time ago and
      find it easy to get our thoughts down on the keyboard rather quickly and
      easily. It is not as hard as you may think so may I suggest some people
      who have an aversion to typing but have a lot to say to take some basic
      typing lessons. Once you get the hang of it and practice a lot, it comes
      quite easily without much thought. Go ahead, I dare you…………..

      Daringly,

      Arpan
    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
        Dear Arpan,

        ...and where would this site be without your heartfelt contributions!
        Thank you so much.

        May I add some of my thoughts about writing and reading here. If it
        would be for sure the whole world is reading here perhaps I wouldn't
        type a word. But what encourages me to continue is that there might
        be people out there who are reading and that they may get to know
        that students of Sri Chinmoy's are 'normal' people who are trying to
        become better human beings by practicing meditation through Guru's
        loving guidance. (This reminds me of what Abhinabha said in message
        21277, "Hey, I am a human being!") Thank God, we are!

        As a human being I so much appreciate it when people are weaving
        their personal experiences that are in no way separated from their
        spiritual experiences into their posts. Sumangali's posts are a
        shining example for doing so. To mention only a few I love but did
        not know how to reply to. (Michael found the perfect words).

        A Foreign Tourist At Home

        I was right there and it reminded me of my own excursions in Zurich,
        Switzerland and Vienna, Austria.

        NOT-IN-THE-CAVE: Ananda, Shindhu and Adarsha

        I am quite an Ananda and Shindhu fan, Sumangali. Adarsha's
        performances are of a very high standard.

        Another reason why I am reading and posting here is that I am very
        grateful for the inspiration I am getting from other's contributions.
        I am personally not as much in contact with other students of Sri
        Chinmoy's as I would like to be. So here is an opportunity to share
        my thoughts and feelings.

        I admit it is a good feeling when other people are gratefully
        appreciating the existence of this Inspiration Group. Therefore I may
        say here and now for the first time how much I am appreciating each
        and every post that is written by others. I would eagerly like to
        reply to all of them. But I clearly see the moderators approaching me
        with a noodle-something made of wood ;-)

        I also know good people who do not own a computer at home but are reading during their lunch break.

        If someone would grant me a wish I would beg Sumangali to pass me a
        bell and I would gladly pass it on to Nayak. I would be so happy if
        he could find some time to post again or at least ring the bell from
        time to time. Nayak's contrubutions are so inspiring to me and for
        many others.

        I remember about four years ago I was sharing a flat with another
        student. Usually when I came home from work in the evening I found
        her in front of the computer and read out loud some of Nayak's
        humorous posts and laughing like anything. But she didn't contribute
        to the site. For me computers didn't have any meaning at that time.
        But she wouldn't stop reading messages out loud.

        Thank you again, Arpan for writing and inspiring us so constantly.

        Doris
      • smarana31
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
          Thank you Arpan and Sumangali for inspiring people to contribute to
          the inspiration group. It is always nice to see new names pop up at
          this site.

          Actually, I wanted to take a break from contributing to this site,
          since x-mas business has dawned upon Madal Bal and the working hours
          have doubled; but after your inspiring posts, I could not resist to
          contribute.

          When I was reading Suren's post about his poem, I wanted to ask him if
          he would like to change positions with me until x-mas. It sounded so
          romantic to chop garlic and ponder on Guru's poems, while I am
          fighting the shopping battle here in Madal Bal. It is the busiest
          street in Vienna and up to 5000 customers are coming per day on 200
          square meters. ... I know, I know, the grass is always greener on the
          other side. Especially in a restaurant it can be very busy.

          Actually, I have to say that I also like the time in a way. It is a
          totally different way of working, and newness is always good, to shake
          off the shackles of getting stuck in crusty ways of dealing with the
          day to day life.

          So may the battle continue

          Smarana
        • arpan_deangelo
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
            Smarana (and other posters, however infrequently),

            Thank you for your contributions as well. We all know that to
            contribute here means sitting in front of a computer and typing away.
            For many people it is not their idea of an inspiring way to spend
            their time. But for sharing and manifestation purposes it is yet
            another way to express ourselves in a spiritually rewarding way, that
            is if you can stand the computer screen and keyboard, which some of us
            obviously have no problems with.

            I hope you still have time for running, considering how busy you
            described it to be there in Vienna. Yes, you are right about the
            'grass being greener on the other side'. I always dreamed of going to
            Vienna and I almost made it there with Shambhu in 2001 when we were
            going to come for the last week of the Peace Run that year. But it
            never happened because of 9/11 tragedy. There are other European
            cities I would love to visit as well as I get so much inspiration from
            disciples in those Centres such as Prague, Bratislava, Vienna,
            Zurich, Budapest, Edinburgh, London, Milan and others.

            Don't get me wrong, I love it here in 'good ole' N.Y. and my proximity
            to all the Enterprises and Aspiration-Ground. I have been here for
            over 30 years after moving from Connecticut which seemed so far away
            in the early days of the Centre, but it was only an hour drive or so
            to get down here. So it seems that physical location is very relative
            and at the same time irrelevant to our inner aspiration. As Sri
            Chinmoy sings in 'Songs From The Upanishads': "Seated he travels afar,
            lying down he journeys everywhere." [unofficial]
            (So I think I will lay down for a while.)

            (Still seated)…If we do not allow ourselves to get 'hung up' or
            attached to our outer circumstances and instead accept where we are
            and what we are doing at the time, then we can relax into a happy type
            of aspiration where the real experiences and joys come from within.
            Some people will never understand what other people experience
            inwardly when it seems that outwardly life is not that appealing or
            exciting.

            For example, many people do not understand how a long distance runner
            can get enjoyment or fulfillment from spending hours on the road or
            going around in circles. If one tries to understand this with the mind
            then certainly the feeling of boredom or suffering comes into play.
            But when we can experience running or any other seemingly unexciting
            activity such as chopping vegetables, selling merchandise, etc. with
            an inner vision and higher consciousness, then everything is new and
            exciting.

            As you can see that once I get going I have no trouble typing away,
            perhaps too much. Maybe it's all the long distance training I have put
            in over the decades. I really should get out of this comfortable chair
            and go for a long run.

            We just had our first snowfall in New York and it is very damp, dreary
            and cold out there. As I sit here typing and meditating on the fresh
            snowfall out on Normal Road I feel a sense of gratitude for the
            opportunities given us all to be able to do the daily things that we
            take for granted such as working, walking, running, even typing and
            meditating. I try to do some or all of these everyday to keep my sense
            of dynamic gratitude alive and well.

            When I visit some of my friends in the hospital which I have been
            doing on a regular basis, I see how much we can take for granted in
            our own `normal' or healthy lives. Many of those bedridden people
            cannot walk, or run, or type, or work, or struggle with the normal
            activities that we sometimes consider burdens in our own daily lives.

            So as I get prepared to get up and out into the `nasty' weather, I
            will change my attitude and try to see only beauty and peace in it and
            in all the experiences which may come my way today. And I am grateful
            that we have brothers and sisters all over the world who we can share
            these important experiences with in similar ways. It is a testament to
            our wonderful Spiritual Father who has given so much over the last
            five decades to unite so many people from all corners of globe and
            such varying walks of life in very spiritual enriching ways.

            Keep working, running, meditating and writing,

            Arpan

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Arpan and Sumangali for inspiring people to contribute to
            > the inspiration group. It is always nice to see new names pop up at
            > this site.
            >
            > Actually, I wanted to take a break from contributing to this site,
            > since x-mas business has dawned upon Madal Bal and the working hours
            > have doubled; but after your inspiring posts, I could not resist to
            > contribute.
            >
            > When I was reading Suren's post about his poem, I wanted to ask him if
            > he would like to change positions with me until x-mas. It sounded so
            > romantic to chop garlic and ponder on Guru's poems, while I am
            > fighting the shopping battle here in Madal Bal. It is the busiest
            > street in Vienna and up to 5000 customers are coming per day on 200
            > square meters. ... I know, I know, the grass is always greener on the
            > other side. Especially in a restaurant it can be very busy.
            >
            > Actually, I have to say that I also like the time in a way. It is a
            > totally different way of working, and newness is always good, to shake
            > off the shackles of getting stuck in crusty ways of dealing with the
            > day to day life.
            >
            > So may the battle continue
            >
            > Smarana

          • sumangali_m
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
              Arpan, Doris, Smarana, my reading here of late has been a little
              random and far from chronological. At last, late on Sunday night, when
              all the work of the week is done, I am finally catching up with missed
              posts, and I find your utterly heart-warming messages. I don't have
              enough brain-fuel left at this time in the week to respond as fully as
              I'd like, but come at least to ring a very small hand cymbal. Thank
              you. God bless you all.

              Sumangali

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Thank you Arpan and Sumangali for inspiring people to contribute to
              > the inspiration group. It is always nice to see new names pop up at
              > this site.
              >
              > Actually, I wanted to take a break from contributing to this site,
              > since x-mas business has dawned upon Madal Bal and the working hours
              > have doubled; but after your inspiring posts, I could not resist to
              > contribute.
              >
              > When I was reading Suren's post about his poem, I wanted to ask him if
              > he would like to change positions with me until x-mas. It sounded so
              > romantic to chop garlic and ponder on Guru's poems, while I am
              > fighting the shopping battle here in Madal Bal. It is the busiest
              > street in Vienna and up to 5000 customers are coming per day on 200
              > square meters. ... I know, I know, the grass is always greener on the
              > other side. Especially in a restaurant it can be very busy.
              >
              > Actually, I have to say that I also like the time in a way. It is a
              > totally different way of working, and newness is always good, to shake
              > off the shackles of getting stuck in crusty ways of dealing with the
              > day to day life.
              >
              > So may the battle continue
              >
              > Smarana

            • vasanti_hd
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
                No Heidelberg? :)

                Just back from a "short" run (1 h) Instead of working (some translations are waiting) here I am again reading the latest posts
                and checking my last one.

                Here it was raining - a thunderstorm is supposed to be approaching,
                but I had missed running yesterday and this morning and want to go
                for 51 km next Saturday, so I thought I better get out there! Looking
                out of the window you could hear and see the raindrops falling
                heavily in the black night on the dimly lit asphalt, with the wind
                picking up. Well - as my father used to say, there is no bad weather,
                only inappropriate clothing. Plus there is a special charm to running
                at night, along a river, towards the sparkling lights, like diamonds,
                of a little town nestled between two hills, even in the rain - this
                feeling of braving the elements - aren't we all heroes and warriors
                anyway?!

                The funny thing was, as soon as I went out, the rain and wind abated,
                and I took down my hood, enjoying this bit of more freedom. As I
                crossed the bridge across the river, I saw a couple of bizarre black
                clouds in the distance, being swept across the sky, against a lighter
                background. It looked a bit threatening, but well, let the weather
                come... I stood on the bridge for a while, enjoying the turbulent
                waters under me, when I suddenly realised that the "black clouds"
                were the sky, and the "white background" were the clouds, now coming
                closer and covering the black. I had to laugh - how often do we see
                black and think black, but if we brave things they may turn out white?

                On my way back along the other side of the river it struck me that
                the rain had almost completely ceased, as if a blessing for my going
                out to run. A few hundred metres before my house it picked up again.
                Inwardly I was joking with the "higher forces": can't you wait just a
                little longer please, I am almost home! As soon as I was inside, it
                picked up like anything again.

                It reminded me of something Guru had once said in regard to Channel
                swimming, when a number of his students had not made it, to the point
                that outer conditions can change very easily and quickly, if you have
                faith. I don't know where to find this quote right now, but I found
                something similarly inspiring on the Library Website, which also
                matches a little what Arpan has said about outer conditions:

                "If we are absolutely dedicated
                To the divine cause,
                And if we can listen to the dictates
                Of our inner being
                At every moment,
                Our inner being will create
                Outer circumstances that will help us
                In our spiritual life." - Sri Chinmoy

                http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/283.html

                Of course I have also gone out running in pouring rain and it became
                even worse, but today's experience still has happened many times in
                similar ways.

                Vasanti
                (not giving up learning to listen)

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > cannot walk, or run, or type, or work, or struggle with the normal
                > activities that we sometimes consider burdens in our own daily
                lives.

                > So as I get prepared to get up and out into the `nasty' weather, I
                > will change my attitude and try to see only beauty and peace in it
                and
                > in all the experiences which may come my way today. And I am
                grateful
                > that we have brothers and sisters all over the world who we can
                share
                > these important experiences with in similar ways. It is a testament
                > our wonderful Spiritual Father who has given so much over the last
                > five decades to unite so many people from all corners of globe and
                > such varying walks of life in very spiritual enriching ways.
                >
                > Keep working, running, meditating and writing,

              • vlad_fed
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
                  [Dear Vlad, please make sure to follow the safety guidelines
                  appended at the end of your post. Thank you]

                  Hi, Arpan,

                  I've been a silent reader for a long time.
                  It's a very inspiring forum really!
                  Arpan, you dared me, I do type with ten fingers and decided to drop
                  a line or two. I am a disciple from Almaty, Kazakhstan (former
                  Soviet republic).

                  Cheers,
                  Vlad

                  [Dear Vlad,
                  For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below:

                  1) Hide Your Email Address

                  Please set your member preferences so that your email address will not be visible.

                  - First click on this link:
                  If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                  - Check the box where it says:
                  "Hide my email and IP address from the group moderators"

                  - Under "Message Delivery", select:
                  "Web Only. Read messages only on the web"

                  - Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

                  Now when you post, your email address will not be visible anymore to anybody.

                  2) Turn Off Invitations
                  - First click on this link:
                  If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                  Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email
                  addresses will appear.

                  - To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in
                  blue. Click on it.

                  Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:
                  Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
                  Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

                  - By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
                  - Click the Save Changes button.
                  - Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

                  Thank you
                  Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]
                • abhinabha
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Dear Arpan and Vasanti,

                    Your running posts are totally inspiring! I already went for a run
                    today, but my legs are itching to get out again into the night rain
                    and log a few miles. Ah well, let me write this post instead.

                    There is something very special about running in inclement weather.
                    Some of my best runs have been in the pouring rain or the biting cold.
                    The way nature lashes down on you and the way you hold your head high
                    and just put one leg in front of the other, enjoying the trance-like
                    rhythm of your feet dancing away the road...

                    And suddenly nature surrenders! I know what Vasanti is talking about,
                    I have also experienced it many times.
                    I like what Emile Zatopek said about it:

                    "There's a great advantage in training under unfavourable conditions."

                    I also enjoy Sri Chinmoy's comment on that utterance:

                    "For when victory dawns, everything becomes sweet, illumining and
                    fulfilling. At that time, unfavourable conditions are no longer seen
                    as unfavourable but as necessary steps to bring to the fore the
                    runner's ultimate capacity."

                    http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/emil-zatopek/7.html

                    Two weeks ago I participated in a big 15K race in the city I grew up
                    in, which is called Nijmegen and lies in the East of Holland, close to
                    the German border. This race - the "7 hills race" - is very popular,
                    drawing almost 30,000 people. It also holds the world record for 15K.

                    To me a race is the summit of running joy. It is a test of strength,
                    will and courage: how deep will you go? It is painful and at the same
                    time it is joyful, especially after crossing the finish line! And
                    running together with thousands of others creates such a powerful
                    feeling of oneness. It is also at the perfect time of year, in the
                    middle of autumn when the trees are at their heights of beauty, with
                    falling leaves of gold preceding you wherever you turn. Oh, I do love
                    autumn!

                    Keep on running and smiling and becoming!

                    Best wishes,
                    Abhinabha

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, vasanti_hd
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > swimming, when a number of his students had not made it, to the point
                    > that outer conditions can change very easily and quickly, if you have
                    > faith. I don't know where to find this quote right now, but I found
                    > something similarly inspiring on the Library Website, which also
                    > matches a little what Arpan has said about outer conditions:
                    >
                    > "If we are absolutely dedicated
                    > To the divine cause,
                    > And if we can listen to the dictates
                    > Of our inner being
                    > At every moment,
                    > Our inner being will create
                    > Outer circumstances that will help us
                    > In our spiritual life." - Sri Chinmoy

                    http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/283.html

                    > Of course I have also gone out running in pouring rain and it became
                    > even worse, but today's experience still has happened many times in

                  • purnakama2000
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Ochyen Horosho and Spacebo Vlad for ringing the bell!

                      Welcome welcome welcome:)

                      Purnakama
                    • arpan_deangelo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                        It is very nice to hear from you, Vlad.

                        Bolshoia spaciba!(I love the Russian language and studied it many
                        years ago for a while but forgot much of the little I learned.)

                        We would love to hear more from you and any inspiring experiences or
                        feelings you wish to share here. Even just a reply, like the one you
                        just sent, is very welcome. We hope others will do the same even if
                        they feel they have not much to say.

                        The fact is that some of us like to talk, or in this case, write more
                        than others. It's not so much that we like to hear ourselves talk or
                        see what we write in public, but more as a sharing from the heart in
                        ways that we feel creates more of a sense of oneness in the way our
                        great Master, Sri Chinmoy, encouraged and taught us.

                        Although his teaching was essentially a silent teaching and inner
                        teaching, Sri Chinmoy's ability to manifest and share this deep inner
                        reality and Truth was remarkably creative and innocent. It could be
                        something as simple as a sweet story or rhyming poem. There is no
                        necessity to have literary skills or even perfect English. Just write
                        from the heart and make it simple.

                        In your case, many people are curious about your part of the world.I
                        know one or two people from Kazakhstan and I have heard of how
                        beautiful it is there. Would love to hear more. Maybe we could even
                        practice a few Russian phrases here like: (Ochin Pryatna
                        pahznahkomitsah- Very happy to meet you). Don't laugh too hard when I
                        try to speak your language, but it's fun.

                        'Paka' for now,

                        Arpan