Winter and Christmas carols

  • purnakama2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 25, 2007
      Purnakama here ringing in for a spot of tea. Rooibos is fine, but on
      these chilly wintry days it's bengal spice tea that I sip to keep me
      warm.

      Winter is in full swing here, and we just had our first official
      snow the other day. As I'm a winter gal, I went out running the
      other evening in the park. It was magical. The light was gently
      fading from the sky, fat snowflakes were falling, and I came upon
      some deer who were quietly feeding in the field where I was running.

      It was snowing once again last night, so I went out for a walk while
      listening to the CD of the Christmas carols that were performed in
      Indonesia several years ago on a Christmas trip. From childhood,
      Christmas carols have been dear to my heart, and last night
      listening to them brought me so much joy and light as I walked in
      our little winter wonderland.
      As I was listening, one particular carol made me stop and replay a
      section over and over.

      It's a verse from Away in a Manger that was changed to be
      a 'disciple'verse.
      It goes;

      "Be near us dear Guru we ask thee to stay,
      close by us forever and love us we pray.
      Bless all the dear children in Thy Holy care,
      and take us to Heaven to live with Thee there."

      The reality of this verse struck my heart with Guru's love.

      I was wondering if this recording was on Sri Chinmoy Radio? If it's
      not is there a way to get it on there? I realise that it's not
      Guru's music, but it's very inspiring to listen to at this time of
      year.

      Wintry blessings to all.

      Purnakama

      PS Sarah, I think you'd better check your fareheit celsius
      converter. I'm pretty sure that -17 c isn't quite -62 F:)
      Maybe Arpan can clarify this as he seems to often give the NY temp
      in both scales.
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
        Purnakama, Sarah, and other runners,

        In reference to the conversion of Celcius to Farenheit, -17 C equals
        1.4 F, or just above 0 farenheit. 0 F is about -18C. 0 C is 32 F.
        In New York we usually get a few days around 0 F or below but usually
        our coldest days are more like just below 10F or 12 C.

        Although I usually figure this out on my own from the formula we
        memorized in college which is: F=32+9/5(C). But these days it is
        easier to have a conversion scale in front of you or go to a website
        like: http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

        To run in this weather one definitely needs to dress in layers. Also
        keep the face warm with a scarf or face mask or turtle neck sweater.
        I remember in the early 80's when we would have a marathon, The
        Inspiration Marathon, in the beginning of February, the coldest time
        of the year in the Northeast here. It was held along the shoreline in
        New Hampshire which is north of Massachussets, a few hundred miles
        north of NYC. It was very cold and windy as well usually.

        If you did not dress in layers you would get too hot and then if you
        slowed down too much you would get too dangerously cold. The
        perspiration would freeze as you run. Some people, especially with
        beards, would have icicles hanging from their face or hats or ears.

        Guru made the long trip(about 250 miles or 400KM) there a number of
        times and even ran it once. On February 1, 1981 he ran the Inspiration
        Marathon in 5 hours,22 min.,11 sec's. The next month, on March 7, he
        ran a 4:30:21 marathon in Chico,California, nice and warm. He ran
        three marathons that year, the third marathon being the NYC Marathon
        on Oct.25 which was 4:36:22.

        When I talk about Guru's running, especially marathon running, I get
        so much joy and inspiration. He worked so hard at it and loved it so
        much. Then when he could not run anymore, his joy was in seeing us
        run. He encouraged our running so, so much, outwardly and inwardly.
        For me it was, and still is, the best kind of medicine for any
        spiritual 'ailments' I may have been suffering from. I always tried to
        feel that Guru was and still is enjoying running like anything when we
        run. If we consciously think of Guru running and smiling as we run, or
        that Guru is running in and through us, then we can be more regular
        and serious about our running.

        I have many running stories about Guru but I have to end here as I
        must go running now, or later, if I put it off until after work. If
        anyone else has 'Guru running' stories I wish we could share them
        here. Those of us who are still healthy enough and inspired enough to
        still be running, no matter what the speed or lack thereof, should
        feel so blessed and fortunate to still be able to make progress
        spiritually and physically in this way.

        As Guru sang many times with us and for us:
        'Run and become,
        Become and run.
        Run to succeed in the outer world.
        Become to proceed in the inner world.'

        [unofficial]

        Proceedingly,
        Arpan
      • smarana31
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
          Thank you Arpan for your inspiring article!
          You inspired us in your article to write running experiences with Guru.
          Well I can not brag of having been around Guru for over 30 years and
          so I have to rely on the time, when Guru was getting joy from watching
          his students running.
          Well, I want to share two experiences that I had with Guru in the
          ultra running "world".
          1994 I entered the multi day arena, with practically no experience.
          I felt an inner urge to go for it, also I had my doubts in the beginning.
          So I was there, on Wards Island running my loops and trying to cope
          with the distance and pressure of finishing 700 miles.
          So, I was really pushing myself, with iron self discipline without any
          excuses.
          One night Guru was coming unusually late.
          There was this cute little blue house, nicely decorated and the light
          was on.
          I was basically crawling by that time, but I had not done my minimum,
          before taking a sleeping brake. So, I went there with the expectation
          of getting an extra boost, as it usually happend. So, after having
          taken the Prasad, I started running again. After half a lap, I got so
          tired, that I had to fight to my tent and take some sleep.
          So, Guru saw my exhaust and sent me to bed.

          My next multi day race, the first 10 day race, I got a total opposite
          experience.
          After Guru had driven around the race course, I could see a yellow
          light around my whole body, and the light would get brighter and
          bigger when my consciousness would be calm and would get smaller, when
          I got a little agitated. Having this light around me I could run any
          speed I would like to, with the inner confidence, not to get any
          injury. It was like an inexhaustible resource of energy, light and joy.

          So, my first race Guru set me to sleep and my second race he carried
          my around.

          Runners are Smilers
          Smarana
        • arpan_deangelo
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 27, 2007
            Very moving and inspiring stories, Smarana. Keep them coming.

            You have inspired and encouraged many a multi-day novice to brave the
            miles and reach the goal as you have done so many times, and very
            successfully I might add. Who knows, maybe even an old veteran as
            myself may try another multi-day someday. But don't hold me to it.

            At this point I can run the short miles and write about the long ones.
            All the more credit to those like Suprabha who just keep on trying and
            reaching the goal. It doesn't get any easier over time. But then
            again, there is nothing more fulfilling than attempting the challenges
            that Guru set before us, each in our own way.
            Thanks again.

            Gratefully,
            Arpan
          • sarah_inseattle
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 29, 2007
              Hi Purnakama! Hi Doris! Hi Beverly!
              Ring ring! Hi everybody! Sorry I'm late--- tea time isn't over yet, I
              hope? Forgive my rushing in... I've brought some herbal chai tea
              with honey, made by Silence-Heart-Nest Restauarnt here in Seattle.
              It is the best! Will you try some with me?

              Mmmmm, Purnakama's Bengali spice tea smells great. So does Doris's
              Roiboos Vanille! And look at that pretty red color.

              What a nice fire you have going! I do believe I'll pull my chair up
              a little closer.

              I am loving reading the wintry scene Purnakama has painted for us. I
              just love walking in a snowfall at night. Aren't your days very
              short now, as we approach the winter solstice? In Seattle, we will
              have 8 hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year, with
              sunrise around 8 a.m. and sunset around 4 p.m. What about where you
              are, Doris?

              I had never heard the alternate lyrics to Away in a Manger. They are
              very sweet. Who did you say wrote the lyrics?

              Geez, I really screwed up with that unit converter from Celsius to
              Farenheit, heh heh heh. I think it was the negative sign (or lack
              thereof.) Is 17 Celsius equal to 62 Farenheit? I give up! Well, -17
              degrees Celsius/O degrees Farenheit is still pretty darned cold.

              Now let us try some of these homemade shortbread cookies...who did
              you say made them? Oh, Purnakama, I almost forgot: I brought you
              some chocolate! Anybody else want some?

              In Winter Cosy-ness,
              Sarah
              Seattle
            • purnakama2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
                Brrr... it was -30c here last night Sarah, so that tea really smells
                good right now! And the fire is very soothing and warming. I just
                came in from outside so I'll have to put on my fuzzy slippers and
                cozy up a little closer to it.

                And yes, 17c above zero is approximately 62F above zero. I also know
                that that the 2 scales meet at approximately -40 c or F.
                We were frighteningly close to that last night, and then I forgot to
                unplug my car this morning and I dragged my block heater cord all
                the way to work under my car. I do it at least once a winter!
                Luckily it still works as it's going to be just as frosty tonight.

                Keep the kettle on and the fire blazing:)
                I'll be coming back for a few more steaming cups!

                Purnakama

                PS for a real treat, try boiling apple juice with cinnamon, cardomom
                and nutmeg. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Hi Purnakama! Hi Doris! Hi Beverly!
                > Ring ring! Hi everybody! Sorry I'm late--- tea time isn't over
                yet, I
                > hope? Forgive my rushing in... I've brought some herbal chai tea
                > with honey, made by Silence-Heart-Nest Restauarnt here in Seattle.
                > It is the best! Will you try some with me?
                >
                > Mmmmm, Purnakama's Bengali spice tea smells great. So does Doris's
                > Roiboos Vanille! And look at that pretty red color.
                >
                > What a nice fire you have going! I do believe I'll pull my chair
                up
                > a little closer.
                >
                > I am loving reading the wintry scene Purnakama has painted for us.
                > just love walking in a snowfall at night. Aren't your days very
                > short now, as we approach the winter solstice? In Seattle, we will
                > have 8 hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year, with
                > sunrise around 8 a.m. and sunset around 4 p.m. What about where
                you
                > are, Doris?
                >
                > I had never heard the alternate lyrics to Away in a Manger. They
                are
                > very sweet. Who did you say wrote the lyrics?
                >
                > Geez, I really screwed up with that unit converter from Celsius to
                > Farenheit, heh heh heh. I think it was the negative sign (or lack
                > thereof.) Is 17 Celsius equal to 62 Farenheit? I give up! Well, -
                17
                > degrees Celsius/O degrees Farenheit is still pretty darned cold.
                >
                > Now let us try some of these homemade shortbread cookies...who did
                > you say made them? Oh, Purnakama, I almost forgot: I brought you
                > some chocolate! Anybody else want some?
                >
                > In Winter Cosy-ness,
                > Sarah
                > Seattle

              • assistantmummer
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2007
                  Arpan, there's an outstanding interview with Suprabha in the
                  Washington Running Report. Have you seen it?

                  http://www.runwashington.com/features/profileSuprabha06.html

                  She seems to have as much poise in her "interview form" as she does in
                  her running form.

                  Michael

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Very moving and inspiring stories, Smarana. Keep them coming.
                  >
                  > You have inspired and encouraged many a multi-day novice to brave the
                  > miles and reach the goal as you have done so many times, and very
                  > successfully I might add. Who knows, maybe even an old veteran as
                  > myself may try another multi-day someday. But don't hold me to it.
                  >
                  > At this point I can run the short miles and write about the long ones.
                  > All the more credit to those like Suprabha who just keep on trying and
                  > reaching the goal. It doesn't get any easier over time. But then
                  > again, there is nothing more fulfilling than attempting the challenges
                  > that Guru set before us, each in our own way.
                  > Thanks again.
                  >
                  > Gratefully,
                  > Arpan

                • arpan_deangelo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2007
                    Thank you Michael. That was a great link for runners and non-runners
                    alike to enjoy. I think even those who do not run much or even run at
                    all can relate to some of the things that Suprabha talks about in this
                    interview. She is very sincere, unpretentious and genuine in her
                    approach. It was quite an experience to run in the same race as her
                    when I ran the 3100 mile race in 2004.

                    That reminds me of an amusing incident that happened once in the race
                    with Suprabha that I would like to share here. It was late one night
                    sometime in the middle of the race and we were all quite tired and
                    spaced out. A group of us, maybe three or four guys, were inspired to
                    pick up the pace for a while. Even then we were only running maybe a
                    ten minute per mile pace which seemed quite speedy in this race. As we
                    approached Suprabha running much slower up ahead we were rather noisy.
                    When we reached her she turned to us and said, "What's going on here?
                    I think we all need sticks to run with", as she made the motion of
                    kids running on hobby horses.(These are toy horse heads on the end of
                    sticks that kids run with when pretending to ride horses).

                    Perhaps you had to be there, but it was funny to us at the time as it
                    made us realize that we sounded like a bunch of horses running wildly.
                    Suprabha, who was usually quite focused and serious, spontaneously
                    portrayed the image into an innocent scene of 'hobby horses'. It was
                    pretty funny at the time, after having run for about 14 hours already
                    that day.

                    Now that you got me started,I may get inspired to contribute some more
                    3100 mile race stories soon. I hope Smarana and others will do the
                    same. More later......

                    Gratefully,
                    Arpan

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, assistantmummer
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Arpan, there's an outstanding interview with Suprabha in the
                    > Washington Running Report. Have you seen it?
                    >
                    > http://www.runwashington.com/features/profileSuprabha06.html
                    >
                    > She seems to have as much poise in her "interview form" as she does in
                    > her running form.
                    >
                    > Michael
                  • baridhi_bulgaria
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 10, 2007
                      Thank very much you Smarana, Arpan and Michael.

                      Please, please everybody post more stories like these. I think that
                      many are hungry for them. :)

                      Yours in the Inner and outer running,
                      Baridhi

                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Michael. That was a great link for runners and non-runners
                      > alike to enjoy. I think even those who do not run much or even run at
                      > all can relate to some of the things that Suprabha talks about in this
                      > interview. She is very sincere, unpretentious and genuine in her
                      > approach. It was quite an experience to run in the same race as her
                      > when I ran the 3100 mile race in 2004.
                      >
                      > That reminds me of an amusing incident that happened once in the race
                      > with Suprabha that I would like to share here. It was late one night
                      > sometime in the middle of the race and we were all quite tired and
                      > spaced out. A group of us, maybe three or four guys, were inspired to
                      > pick up the pace for a while. Even then we were only running maybe a
                      > ten minute per mile pace which seemed quite speedy in this race. As we
                      > approached Suprabha running much slower up ahead we were rather noisy.
                      > When we reached her she turned to us and said, "What's going on here?
                      > I think we all need sticks to run with", as she made the motion of
                      > kids running on hobby horses.(These are toy horse heads on the end of
                      > sticks that kids run with when pretending to ride horses).
                      >
                      > Perhaps you had to be there, but it was funny to us at the time as it
                      > made us realize that we sounded like a bunch of horses running wildly.
                      > Suprabha, who was usually quite focused and serious, spontaneously
                      > portrayed the image into an innocent scene of 'hobby horses'. It was
                      > pretty funny at the time, after having run for about 14 hours already
                      > that day.
                      >
                      > Now that you got me started,I may get inspired to contribute some more
                      > 3100 mile race stories soon. I hope Smarana and others will do the
                      > same. More later......
                      >
                      > Gratefully,
                      > Arpan
                      >
                      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, assistantmummer
                      > <no_reply@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Arpan, there's an outstanding interview with Suprabha in the
                      > > Washington Running Report. Have you seen it?
                      > >
                      > > http://www.runwashington.com/features/profileSuprabha06.html
                      > >
                      > > She seems to have as much poise in her "interview form" as she does in
                      > > her running form.
                      > >
                      > > Michael

                    • assistantmummer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                        Dear Arpan,

                        Your story about Suprabha stayed with me. I think it helps to know
                        about her running style, physical form, and personality.

                        I do not know her, but in learning about Sri Chinmoy's philosophy of
                        sport, I came to read some articles and interviews, and see her picture.

                        A few years back, Bhuvah wrote:

                        "In this era, women are in the vanguard of many activities that were
                        not available to them in former times, and the progress they have made
                        in most arenas is remarkable. Sri Chinmoy has selflessly and naturally
                        fostered and encouraged this process. ... In the world, it seems that
                        men are releasing their hierarchies of power and dominance, and making
                        room for feminine softness, love, wisdom and oneness, allowing women's
                        natural abilities of communication, listening, sharing and compassion
                        to come to the fore."

                        Sri Chinmoy himself has said words to the effect that peace is solid
                        power.

                        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flame-waves/part1/9.html

                        That is the essence of Suprabha's running style. She seems to get all
                        her strength from peace. She enters into a place in her heart which is
                        all peace, and then just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs from that
                        place.

                        She is of modest height. So Arpan, you guys were probably a hobby
                        horse's head taller than her. And when you came along in a very
                        dynamic way, you rousted her!

                        Suprabha is the peaceful warrior of the ultra-distance world. She
                        competes only with herself; and she always wins! Thursday morning, I
                        was out for a brisk walk and even did some (mercifully) short
                        windsprints. I was concentrating on her, and got this poem:

                        Warrior
                        (for Suprabha Beckjord)

                        My Lord,
                        How I admire your book,
                        Warriors of the Inner World.
                        Please tell me:
                        How can I become such a warrior?

                        "My child, simple:
                        Just retire into your heart-cave."

                        Father,
                        If I retire into my heart-cave,
                        No one will ever hear of me.

                        "Child,
                        The length and breadth
                        Of the entire world will hear of you
                        Because,
                        You will run the length and breadth
                        Of the entire world."

                        * * *

                        Michael

                        P.S. Sorry to hear about Ted Corbitt. Right now I'm looking at a
                        picture of him with Sri Chinmoy taken in 1978. Just two months ago, on
                        October 13, Ted offered a tribute to Sri Chinmoy:

                        http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/tributes/selected-comments-iv/
                      • arpan_deangelo
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                          Thank you Michael, for your warm reply about Ted and your wonderful
                          and very meaningful poem about Suprabha. It definitely characterizes
                          her quite well, which is surprising, since you have not even met her
                          yet. I am sure that glorious day will come. Perhaps you can visit the
                          3,100 mile race next year. I certainly plan to be there as well,
                          probably as a helper, not a runner.

                          The photo you saw of Sri Chinmoy and Ted Corbitt in 1978 was most
                          likely at the 100 mile race in Flushing Meadows Park where Don Ritchie
                          set an amazing and still unbeaten world record of 11 hours,50 minutes,
                          which is incredible. I was also there and took a few kodak photos of
                          Ted and Sri Chinmoy together, which is the first time that they met, I
                          believe.

                          That race in 1978 was unforgettable and immortal. This is what Ted
                          said about that race,"The greatest ultra I ever saw was the 100-mile
                          in Flushing Meadows Park(1978) where Don Ritchie ran 11:50. That was
                          easily the best one I have seen. I have been in three world record
                          races but I rate the Don Ritchie race superior."

                          The other photo of Sri Chinmoy and Ted together from 1978 was the one
                          where Sri Chinmoy gave an opening meditation at the New York City
                          Marathon that year. Ted was holding a torch standing next to Sri
                          Chinmoy who was meditating in a white dhoti. This photo is actually on
                          the cover of Sri Chinmoy's book, 'Ten Thousand Flower Flames, Part
                          10'. This is also an immortal photo. The torch is actually from our
                          first 50-state relay run called 'Liberty Torch', held in 1976 to honor
                          America's Bicentennial, or 200 years.

                          In the field of running and long distance racing, Ted Corbitt and Sri
                          Chinmoy are definitely the most influential 'warriors' and inspirers
                          that the world has ever seen or may ever see for a long time. Now they
                          are together in the inner worlds, running 'the length and breadth of
                          the entire world', as you so aptly expressed in the last line of your
                          poem. Thank you again for that wonderful sentiment.

                          <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Arpan,
                          >
                          > Your story about Suprabha stayed with me. I think it helps to know
                          > about her running style, physical form, and personality.
                          >
                          > I do not know her, but in learning about Sri Chinmoy's philosophy of
                          > sport, I came to read some articles and interviews, and see her picture.
                          >
                          > A few years back, Bhuvah wrote:
                          >
                          > "In this era, women are in the vanguard of many activities that were
                          > not available to them in former times, and the progress they have made
                          > in most arenas is remarkable. Sri Chinmoy has selflessly and naturally
                          > fostered and encouraged this process. ... In the world, it seems that
                          > men are releasing their hierarchies of power and dominance, and making
                          > room for feminine softness, love, wisdom and oneness, allowing women's
                          > natural abilities of communication, listening, sharing and compassion
                          > to come to the fore."

                          > Sri Chinmoy himself has said words to the effect that peace is solid
                          > power.
                          >
                          > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flame-waves/part1/9.html
                          >
                          > That is the essence of Suprabha's running style. She seems to get all
                          > her strength from peace. She enters into a place in her heart which is
                          > all peace, and then just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs from that
                          > place.
                          >
                          > She is of modest height. So Arpan, you guys were probably a hobby
                          > horse's head taller than her. And when you came along in a very
                          > dynamic way, you rousted her!
                          >
                          > Suprabha is the peaceful warrior of the ultra-distance world. She
                          > competes only with herself; and she always wins! Thursday morning, I
                          > was out for a brisk walk and even did some (mercifully) short
                          > windsprints. I was concentrating on her, and got this poem:
                          >

                          > Warrior
                          > (for Suprabha Beckjord)
                          >
                          > My Lord,
                          > How I admire your book,
                          > Warriors of the Inner World.
                          > Please tell me:
                          > How can I become such a warrior?
                          >
                          > "My child, simple:
                          > Just retire into your heart-cave."
                          >
                          > Father,
                          > If I retire into my heart-cave,
                          > No one will ever hear of me.
                          >
                          > "Child,
                          > The length and breadth
                          > Of the entire world will hear of you
                          > Because,
                          > You will run the length and breadth
                          > Of the entire world."
                          >
                          > * * *
                          >
                          > Michael
                          >
                          > P.S. Sorry to hear about Ted Corbitt. Right now I'm looking at a
                          > picture of him with Sri Chinmoy taken in 1978. Just two months ago, on
                          > October 13, Ted offered a tribute to Sri Chinmoy:
                          >
                          > http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/tributes/selected-comments-iv/

                        • bluebirds727
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                            This is a wonderful story Smarana. How I hope more will be coming
                            from you and our other intrepid runners (as Sahishnu often referred to
                            all of you long distance runners).

                            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
                            <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Thank you Arpan for your inspiring article!
                            > You inspired us in your article to write running experiences with Guru.
                            > Well I can not brag of having been around Guru for over 30 years and
                            > so I have to rely on the time, when Guru was getting joy from watching
                            > his students running.
                            > Well, I want to share two experiences that I had with Guru in the
                            > ultra running "world".
                            > 1994 I entered the multi day arena, with practically no experience.
                            > I felt an inner urge to go for it, also I had my doubts in the
                            beginning.
                            > So I was there, on Wards Island running my loops and trying to cope
                            > with the distance and pressure of finishing 700 miles.
                            > So, I was really pushing myself, with iron self discipline without any
                            > excuses.
                            > One night Guru was coming unusually late.
                            > There was this cute little blue house, nicely decorated and the light
                            > was on.
                            > I was basically crawling by that time, but I had not done my minimum,
                            > before taking a sleeping brake. So, I went there with the expectation
                            > of getting an extra boost, as it usually happend. So, after having
                            > taken the Prasad, I started running again. After half a lap, I got so
                            > tired, that I had to fight to my tent and take some sleep.
                            > So, Guru saw my exhaust and sent me to bed.
                            >
                            > My next multi day race, the first 10 day race, I got a total opposite
                            > experience.
                            > After Guru had driven around the race course, I could see a yellow
                            > light around my whole body, and the light would get brighter and
                            > bigger when my consciousness would be calm and would get smaller, when
                            > I got a little agitated. Having this light around me I could run any
                            > speed I would like to, with the inner confidence, not to get any
                            > injury. It was like an inexhaustible resource of energy, light and joy.
                            >
                            > So, my first race Guru set me to sleep and my second race he carried
                            > my around.
                            >
                            > Runners are Smilers
                            > Smarana

                          • cott_doris
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 16, 2007
                              Dear Arpan and Michael,

                              You inspired me to revisit the gallery of the 3100 mile race. There
                              are also two videos by Utpal.

                              I was so moved again by merely hearing the runners saying their
                              spiritual names. It was as the soul would directly speak to us and it
                              brought tears to my eyes.

                              http://www.srichinmoy.tv/tv/179

                              I was there twice for a few hours as a counter and as a spectator.
                              Somehow I never got into outer contact with Subrabha. She was so
                              focused on something inner. I am sure it is as Michael pointed out.
                              She was in her heart which is all peace and ran and ran.

                              I remember Guru also said that one of God's best qualities is his
                              inner poise. Inner poise would solve all our problems.

                              http://tinyurl.com/24d3wn

                              In one of the interviews she seems to say with a kind of
                              *mischievous* tone in her voice, "Inspite of obstacles I am
                              determined, nothing can hold me back." That is so inspiring. Subrabha
                              is 50 years old. This fact really strikes me. She inspired and still
                              inspires me not to give up (not having been running for about 7
                              months due to health problems) and to believe in my own strength and
                              to keep the hope that I will be running again in the future because I
                              also love running.

                              There are also many beautiful pictures of her finish the race at the
                              race gallery. They are so moving.

                              http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/gallery/3100/2007/day59/

                              With deepest gratitude

                              Doris

                              P.S. Arpan, I am also touched about the other runners' modesty. All
                              of them interviewed didn't know how many miles they had been running
                              so far. They are all humbly running with their hearts carrying Guru
                              inside. I think it is not possible to run this race otherwise.