The Father’s Blessing

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
      The Father's Blessing

      It was May 4, 1980 at the Long Island Marathon, not too far from
      Queens where Sri Chinmoy and some of his disciples lived. Sri Chinmoy
      had already run seven marathons by this time, all within ten months in
      the previous year, 1979. He came to this race to watch and enjoy
      seeing many of his spiritual `children' run in this marathon which he
      had run the past year in 4:16:23. It was a very nice day and many of
      us were ready to run a fast time on this flat and scenic course out to
      the Atlantic Ocean and back to Eisenhower Park.

      I had been injured in the past months with shin splints as I had been
      training seriously to break three hours in the marathon. I took some
      time off and was not sure I really could even complete this race. But
      the inspiration to run was high and Sri Chinmoy was there to encourage
      us, so I felt I should see how well my shins had recovered and just
      run what I could.

      I went out at a sub-three hour marathon pace and felt very little pain
      maintaining the pace with a group of people who had the same goal but
      who all eventually slowed down. I ended up running by myself by the
      time I reached about 18 miles. At this point I was worried about my
      lack of training miles in the past weeks as I recovered from my
      injury. I felt that I would soon `hit the wall' and slow up too much
      or even have to walk.

      At this point I noticed a lady cheering me on and saying that Sri
      Chinmoy was just up ahead watching. I looked intently in the direction
      she was pointing and there he was, smiling as he sat on a highway
      divider dangling his legs like an excited child who was
      enthusiastically looking for someone he knew to cheer on. As I looked
      up and ran past, I saw his right hand cover his beaming smile and then
      with one quick swoop of his arm he threw me `a kiss', like a mother
      lovingly seeing her child off to school for the first time.

      This was the first and only time I ever saw my Guru offer such a sweet
      and loving blessing in this intimate manner. But the power contained
      in that sweet gesture was incredibly strong and all the pain and
      tiredness that was trying to slow me down disappeared in an instant.

      I immediately started to pick up the pace at a time when everyone else
      was slowing down. I could not feel my body at all and just kept
      running strongly without a worry as to how fast I was going. After a
      few miles I slowed to a more conservative pace as I realized that I
      could coast into a sub-three hour marathon if I just relaxed and ran
      steady.

      My joy knew no bounds as I finished almost four minutes under three
      hours, breaking that barrier for the first time in my three years of
      running marathons. All I could think of was gratitude for the
      incredible blessing that Sri Chinmoy had offered in such a loving and
      charming way at the perfect time. I could still see and feel his
      powerful `kiss' flying through time and space as his love and concern
      for his spiritual children still circulates in the ether.

      As we strive to run forward on a path that is long and arduous yet at
      the same time offers many opportunities for growth, we come to realize
      that our efforts and our disciplines are constantly being rewarded, at
      times disguised in simple and charming ways, by the Father and the
      Mother of Love and Concern. As Sri Chinmoy has shown us time and
      again, when it is sometimes least expected, we will see and feel that
      powerful blessing come flying out of the `blue' to encourage and
      strengthen us in our efforts to contribute to a kinder and more divine
      humanity.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan DeAngelo
    • auckland13centre
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2007
        [:)] What a nice tale Arpan. How about a book of your
        multitudinousness memories on the path, for this forum at least, with
        our dear teacher? Thankyou my friend.--Nicholas --Auckland.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > running marathons. All I could think of was gratitude for the
        > incredible blessing that Sri Chinmoy had offered in such a loving and
        > charming way at the perfect time. I could still see and feel his
        > powerful `kiss' flying through time and space as his love and concern
        > for his spiritual children still circulates in the ether.
        >
        > As we strive to run forward on a path that is long and arduous yet at
        > the same time offers many opportunities for growth, we come to realize
        > that our efforts and our disciplines are constantly being rewarded, at
        > times disguised in simple and charming ways, by the Father and the
        > Mother of Love and Concern. As Sri Chinmoy has shown us time and
        > again, when it is sometimes least expected, we will see and feel that
        > powerful blessing come flying out of the `blue' to encourage and
        > strengthen us in our efforts to contribute to a kinder and more divine

      • sarah_inseattle
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2007
          Dear Arpan,

          "As Sri Chinmoy has shown us time and
          again, when it is sometimes least expected, we will see and feel that
          powerful blessing come flying out of the `blue' to encourage and
          strengthen us in our efforts to contribute to a kinder and more divine
          humanity."

          So it is to read this post, and so many, many, others at this site,
          offering us powerful blessings as we stumble to turn this next page
          of our lives.

          In oneness,
          Sarah
          Seattle

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > powerful `kiss' flying through time and space as his love and
          concern
          > for his spiritual children still circulates in the ether.
          >
          > As we strive to run forward on a path that is long and arduous yet
          at
          > the same time offers many opportunities for growth, we come to
          realize
          > that our efforts and our disciplines are constantly being rewarded,
          at
          > times disguised in simple and charming ways, by the Father and the
          > Mother of Love and Concern. As Sri Chinmoy has shown us time and
          > again, when it is sometimes least expected, we will see and feel
          that
          > powerful blessing come flying out of the `blue' to encourage and
          > strengthen us in our efforts to contribute to a kinder and more

        • arpan_deangelo
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2007
            Nicholas and others,
            Thank you for the encouragement and appreciation of my recent story
            and other stories that are only meant to inspire appreciation for all
            that Sri Chinmoy has done for us outwardly, not to speak of inwardly.

            We all have our own personal experiences and stories to share although
            some people are not as likely to share or express them as others may
            be. I have over 35 years of journals of personal experiences on the
            path and I do sometimes like to share the most inspiring personal
            stories about Sri Chinmoy with others.

            When I do this I wish to inspire others as you have so kindly
            expressed as well as to rekindle my own sense of gratitude for the
            incredible and unique opportunities and experiences that our spiritual
            Father has offered us over the years.

            Having said that, I will offer another story here which relates to how
            I came to find and accept Sri Chinmoy as my spiritual Father and what
            is was like in 'the old days' when things were quite different than
            they are now. Although we all know the philosophy of 'the past is
            dust',if these stories inspire appreciation and devotion in some
            disciples or seekers for Sri Chinmoy's unique and special mission and
            manifestation, then I am willing to take the time to share some of
            these personal experiences as I hope others will also do.

            Relating to these stories we share about Guru with a sense of oneness
            and not with jealousy or envy, we can humbly help each other to
            appreciate much more all the things we may once have taken for granted
            when Sri Chinmoy was amongst us physically.

            So here is my next story which again I hope inspires some to tell
            their own stories as well as we enjoy the beauty and fragrance of the
            sweetest and at the same time most powerful Father in the world, our
            Guru Sri Chinmoy.....

            Finding My Eternal Father on His Eternal Journey

            When I came to Sri Chinmoy I was just 19 years old. I knew nothing
            about Eastern Philosophy or meditation. But I was not happy with what
            I had learned about life up to that point, so I guess you could say I
            was a seeker of sorts. My mind could not fathom what I was looking for
            or what I found when I saw Sri Chinmoy for the first time. As he was
            giving a talk on the Upanishads, (see the Upanishads talks, Feb. 11,
            1972 at the University of Connecticut) I did not understand a word he
            said. Yet I could not take my eyes off of him and I felt real peace in
            the lecture hall as never before.

            After Sri Chinmoy went into the hallway to wait for a ride, some
            people also waited around for him to leave. I watched as he was
            approached by some Indian intellectuals who seemed like they just
            wanted to criticize him, asking cynical questions. I felt sorry for
            him as he politely and briefly answered their questions knowing full
            well that they were not really interested in his spiritual wisdom or
            guidance. As I looked at him he glanced at me quickly but powerfully
            and I felt a real connection that I did not understand fully at the time.

            From that moment on, even as I sought out various forms of meditation
            and other paths and Gurus, I could not help but to keep coming back to
            Sri Chinmoy and his disciples who taught his philosophy and meditation
            techniques at the University I attended. It was only a matter of
            months before I decided to accept his path and be accepted by him,
            changing my lifestyle for the better, although outwardly it did seem a
            bit strange at first.

            Sri Chinmoy had only ten books published at that time, only a couple
            of LP vinyl records, no esraj, no flute or instruments other than the
            harmonium, no running teams or races other than Sports Day where the
            long distance race of the year was a one-miler on the track. There was
            also no Jharna Kala, no Madal Circus, no weights or tennis or lifting
            programs or Aspiration-Ground or regular functions to speak of. It was
            the first year of April Celebrations week and the first Birthday
            Celebrations week in August of 1972. Attending those functions was a
            real treat as about 300 people from Centres all over the world were
            together for the first time. I knew this was the beginning of
            something very important and big, to get bigger each year, but having
            no clue how or when.

            My soul knew everything that was happening but still I did not have
            the vision to see where it was all going. Although my mind did not
            understand everything, whatever Sri Chinmoy did and said felt so right
            inwardly and I understood him easily when my consciousness was as high
            as I could keep it through meditation and other disciplines. Within my
            first five years many of the manifestation projects that still exist
            now were being established and I knew I was lucky to be part of it all.

            But Sri Chinmoy, as a powerful and loving father who never stopped
            manifesting the inner love and peace he experienced constantly in his
            life, also wanted us to make progress and increase our own capacity
            for experiencing and manifesting this higher and most beautiful Truth.
            Sometimes his expectations and standards were quite high and so was
            his discipline. Over the years I have experienced some of his loving
            but powerful scoldings and disciplines which are meant only for our
            own sake as any good father would do. To keep us from being caught
            completely by ignorance, he would occasionally remind us of what we
            were doing wrong and how we could stop making the same mistakes.

            That inner reality, the soul's higher reality and divinity which
            connects the real disciple to the Real Master, is what brought me to
            Sri Chinmoy in the first place, allowing us to accept each other, and
            it is what has kept me on the path for more than 35 years. Even
            through our ups and downs, the highs and lows, the successes and
            failures, he constantly cared for us, his spiritual children, as he
            also tried to manifest God's Will in all his multifarious
            manifestations and activities.

            As his mission expanded more and more rapidly and his responsibilities
            grew as his spiritual family grew, Sri Chinmoy became stronger and
            stronger. He also took on more and more of the ignorance that was
            thrown on him from his interaction with the unaspiring world and
            weakly aspiring seekers. His incredibly vast forms of manifestation
            and his daily interaction with his disciples and seekers are what set
            him apart and high above any other real Spiritual Master of any other
            time.

            These interactions and recollections of the experiences we had with
            Sri Chinmoy over the years are what can inspire us to keep his mission
            and his vision alive and growing. His goal was always to be able to
            understand and manifest God's Will and thus create Heaven on earth,
            where love and peace and beauty will reign Supreme. Now that he is not
            with us in the physical realm anymore, by sharing stories about his
            wonderful life and manifestation as we experienced it, either recently
            or in the remote past, we can inspire each other to keep the standards
            and progress that he so wanted us to have while he was still here with
            us. Yet many of us know and feel that he is still here with us as we
            meditate daily along with other activities which keep the receptivity
            alive such as reading, singing, exercise, etc. We must keep these
            disciplines alive daily if we are to really understand, feel and
            receive his Light and loving inner guidance.

            So in ending this tale of a real Father who never stopped `feeding'
            his real children, let us all look to the future by valuing the past,
            the experiences we had as direct disciples while our Spiritual Father
            was in the physical. As we share and value these precious years of our
            lives, we shall add to the inspiration and enthusiasm that our new
            family members will need and feel even without the privileges and
            opportunities we were fortunate to have while our Guru was alive. His
            life is an eternal journey that we shall all continue to enjoy and
            grow from. As he wrote in his last published poem,

            "My physical death
            Is not the end of my life-
            I am an eternal journey."

            With Eternal Gratitude,
            Arpan DeAngelo

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, auckland13centre
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > running marathons. All I could think of was gratitude for the
            > > incredible blessing that Sri Chinmoy had offered in such a loving and
            > > charming way at the perfect time. I could still see and feel his
            > > powerful `kiss' flying through time and space as his love and concern
            > > for his spiritual children still circulates in the ether.
            > >
            > > As we strive to run forward on a path that is long and arduous yet at
            > > the same time offers many opportunities for growth, we come to realize
            > > that our efforts and our disciplines are constantly being rewarded, at
            > > times disguised in simple and charming ways, by the Father and the
            > > Mother of Love and Concern. As Sri Chinmoy has shown us time and
            > > again, when it is sometimes least expected, we will see and feel that
            > > powerful blessing come flying out of the `blue' to encourage and
            > > strengthen us in our efforts to contribute to a kinder and more divine

          • smarana31
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
              Thank you Arpan for yet another story, and I hope other "old"
              disciples are going to bless us with their sweet memories of our
              spiritual father; for now these stories are even more precious and
              inspiring.
              I hope somebody is taking the trouble of compiling stories like yours
              and is blessing us with an uplifting and "best of" book.

              These personal experiences are treasures that keep our master very
              much alive and fire us up in our inspiration and aspiration.

              So I really hope that there is somebody out there, inspiring people to
              write these stories and collecting them.

              Sincerely waiting for the first issue
              Smarana

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > charming way at the perfect time. I could still see and feel his
              > > > powerful `kiss' flying through time and space as his love and
              concern
              > > > for his spiritual children still circulates in the ether.
              > > >
              > > > As we strive to run forward on a path that is long and arduous
              yet at
              > > > the same time offers many opportunities for growth, we come to
              realize
              > > > that our efforts and our disciplines are constantly being
              rewarded, at
              > > > times disguised in simple and charming ways, by the Father and the
              > > > Mother of Love and Concern. As Sri Chinmoy has shown us time and
              > > > again, when it is sometimes least expected, we will see and feel
              that
              > > > powerful blessing come flying out of the `blue' to encourage and
              > > > strengthen us in our efforts to contribute to a kinder and more

            • jodybol
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
                From someone who loves stories and feels that they fill an elemental purpose in our
                hearts. From Indian Meals to the Prodigal Son, the masters have used stories and I find
                that I can often "hold" them better than anything else when I'm struggling or need
                inspiration.

                In August, many of us talked about compiling stories geared toward the public.
                I'm currently seeking the sign up sheets.

                Absolutely want to collect the stories.
                I'm willing to be the initial collector and have several experienced editors collaborating
                also.

                Also interested in doing story telling circles so if that inspires you, contact me on our
                other forum.

                here's to coming together.

                jody