Gratitude Poem for Today

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
      I am inspired to post every day a poem about gratitude. On
      occasion I will put comments, or add a talk by Sri Chinmoy on
      gratitude itself, or on a related subject.

      Masters like Sri Chinmoy come to shed light, to open our
      hearts to the beauty within, to help us, with their inner
      love, forgiveness and compassion, to open our own
      gratitude-flower, which is none other than our soul itself.
      Maybe this is what people call "unfoldment". It is an opening
      up, a blossoming, of our heart. This is filled with beauty,
      love and joy.

      "Every day I pray to God
      To bless me
      With plentitude gratitude-heart-tears."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      Sri Chinmoy gave the following talk on gratitude on 16
      January 1994. (from the book Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 1:
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-answers/part1/30.html)

      Gratitude

      A glass mirror is brittle. If it drops, it breaks into
      pieces. But I have come to realise that a mirror has a longer
      lifespan than the gratitude of human beings. In order for a
      mirror to break, it has to drop either from Heaven or from a
      few feet above the ground. So it takes time-a few seconds.
      But it does not take even a fleeting second for human
      ingratitude to come to the fore.

      If anything can disappear sooner than the soonest from our
      heart, then that thing is nothing other than our gratitude.
      Again, if anything on earth is really beautiful, really
      meaningful and really fruitful, if anything on earth can
      sustain our golden connecting link with God, our Source, then
      that very thing is also gratitude. Dear ones, I am telling
      you, if you have an iota of sincere gratitude and if you
      preserve that gratitude as the most precious thing in your
      life, then the breath of that gratitude will keep you alive
      in the Heart of God, your Lord Supreme. You people misbehave
      and torture your Master in so many ways; sometimes you even
      want to give up the spiritual life. But I assure you, if you
      keep gratitude alive in your heart, the beauty and fragrance
      of that divine quality will save you from your spiritual
      downfall and destruction.

      I am speaking about sincere gratitude-the kind of gratitude
      whose living presence you can only feel inside your heart. If
      you feel that gratitude is your inner name and also your
      outer name, if you feel that your only name is gratitude,
      then immediately your gratitude will jump to the fore and
      establish its inseparable oneness with your
      God-oneness-reality.

      Gratitude is a most powerful weapon in your life. There is
      nothing undivine that you cannot get rid of by virtue of the
      gratitude in your life. Again, there is nothing divine in
      your life that you cannot increase in boundless measure on
      the strength of your gratitude. There is only one thing that
      you need in order to increase your divinity, and that thing
      is gratitude. If every day you consciously strengthen your
      gratitude-not to Sri Chinmoy but to the Supreme, who is your
      Guru, my Guru and everybody's Guru-you will see how much
      progress you will make and how many wrong forces you will be
      able to get out of your system. I tell you, all the physical,
      vital, mental and emotional fever that you are suffering from
      comes from the fact that you have lost your heart's
      gratitude-breath. If your heart's gratitude-breath is
      functioning well, then keep it so forever. This is
      unmistakably the right way to run fast, faster, fastest to
      the destined Goal.

      Gratitude is not a mere word; it is not a mere concept. It is
      the living breath of your real existence on earth. There is
      nothing that God will not do for you if you really treasure
      the gratitude-breath inside your aspiring heart. Please,
      please, to each and every one of you I am telling this: If
      you want to run the fastest, then discard the thing that is
      delaying you. The thing that is making you lame or paralysed
      in your spiritual life is ingratitude. If you can always
      maintain your gratitude-breath, then nothing can stand in
      your way and nobody can prevent you from doing the right
      thing and becoming the right person: the most perfect
      instrument of our Lord Beloved Supreme.

      Gratitude, gratitude and gratitude. The soul you do not know;
      the Supreme you do not know. And at this stage in your
      spiritual development you do not have to know them. But
      gratitude you do have to know if you want to connect yourself
      with your own Highest, with the Supreme. If you want to
      connect yourself with the Real in you, then your
      gratitude-breath you have to claim as your own, very own.

      Sri Chinmoy

      Gratitude!

      Kamalakanta
    • vasanti_hd
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2007
        What a nice idea, Kamalakanta.

        Sometimes it strikes me that after 25 years of reading Sri Chinmoy's
        writings and poetry and deriving ever new inspiration even from texts
        I almost know be heart, it still happens that I open up a book and
        find words that are like eye-openers to me - throwing a completely
        new light on a certain topic. This morning I found this gem:

        Thank God for everything you have (FF4425)

        Thank God for everything you have.
        For example,
        If you thank God
        For your vital impurity,
        It will diminish.
        If you thank God
        For your psychic purity,
        It will increase beyond measure.

        from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 45 by Sri Chinmoy
        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flower-flames/part45/25.html

        What an elegant and peaceful approach as opposed to fighting
        negativity and cursing yourself, which I am sure, many of us are
        tempted to do at certain times (like when you oversleep on a bright
        sunny October morning...)

        Gratitude
        Vasanti

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2007
          Which reminds me, here is the gratitude poem for today.

          "How do I serve God?
          I serve God
          With my grattitude-tears."
          -Sri Chinmoy

          Vasanti, the poem you quoted is indeed a great teaching.
          It wil be useful throughout a seeker's spiritual life. What a jewel.

          Kamalakanta