OT: Good Shopping Options in Amsterdam

  • cott_doris
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
      Someone wanted to get rid of his pepper mill but didn't want to
      produce any garbage. He placed a price label on it and smuggled it
      into a not-so-cheap shopping centre in Zürich. The advantage: A
      customer gets a cheap pepper mill, the shop owner get's money without
      buying the product,the state receives taxes.

      The idea comes right from Holland. Some artists in Amsterdam smuggled
      207 products that they had found in the garbage into a shop. Before
      they had copied some price labels put them on the products and
      secretely left them in the shelves of the famous luxury shopping
      centre "Bijenkorf". After a short time some of the products were
      sold. The bosses of the shop are embarrassed because they had not
      been able to differenciate the smuggled products from their own
      products. (not everything was sold until they got informed by the
      artists.)

      The artists aim was to show what effect a good presentation can have
      and are protesting against the short life span of products nowadays.

      P.S. In case Abhinabha who is now a budding freelance writer is in
      financial trouble he may find a way to meet his expenses by selling
      his belongings in a clever way (possibly only a "second hand" option?
      Dutch's are creative people, aren't they? Now it has become very
      clear why he wants to move to Amsterdam :-)

      Doris
    • abhinabha
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
        You're supplying me with great ideas, Doris. Unfortunately I have no
        belongings at all, so there's nothing much to sell. Maybe I can
        smuggle myself into the Bijenkorf and put me on a shelf with a small
        label "Freelance writer - €19,99". Nah, that's cheap.

        But on a more serious note, this is great material for a story. We
        have a magazine here in Holland called 'Ode'. It's a magazine for
        "intelligent optimists" as it says on the cover and it's all about
        people helping the world and the environment with new, unusual and
        innovative ideas. I've been dying to write for them and this story
        sounds just like something for them. Could you possibly give me some
        more details about these artists and their project? Is there anything
        to be found on internet about it?

        If you give me the golden lead, I may forgive all your "liars have
        short legs" jokes ;-) (inside joke - see previous posts for details)

        --Abhinabha

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, cott_doris
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Someone wanted to get rid of his pepper mill but didn't want to
        > produce any garbage. He placed a price label on it and smuggled it
        > into a not-so-cheap shopping centre in Zürich. The advantage: A
        > customer gets a cheap pepper mill, the shop owner get's money without
        > buying the product,the state receives taxes.
        >
        > The idea comes right from Holland. Some artists in Amsterdam smuggled
        > 207 products that they had found in the garbage into a shop. Before
        > they had copied some price labels put them on the products and
        > secretely left them in the shelves of the famous luxury shopping
        > centre "Bijenkorf". After a short time some of the products were
        > sold. The bosses of the shop are embarrassed because they had not
        > been able to differenciate the smuggled products from their own
        > products. (not everything was sold until they got informed by the
        > artists.)
        >
        > The artists aim was to show what effect a good presentation can have
        > and are protesting against the short life span of products nowadays.
        >
        > P.S. In case Abhinabha who is now a budding freelance writer is in
        > financial trouble he may find a way to meet his expenses by selling
        > his belongings in a clever way (possibly only a "second hand" option?
        > Dutch's are creative people, aren't they? Now it has become very
        > clear why he wants to move to Amsterdam :-)
        >
        > Doris

      • cott_doris
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
          Sorry, I forgot to mention the source of my information. I read about
          the group of artists in a magazine called "Kassensturz" (count ones
          cash). I will contact the editor and give you the information.

          But the business conditions we have to discuss again! :-)