A "Self-Transcendence" prayer

  • beverly_canada
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2007
      At the start of the Self-Transcendence Marathon at Rock Lake Sri
      Chinmoy composes an inspirational prayer.

      The latest has not yet reached book stage, so here, in honour of the
      participants, helpers and runners alike, of the Self-Transcendence
      races all over the world, I feel inspired to post a prayer from "My
      Blessingful And Pride-Flooded Dedication to the Indomitable Runners of
      the 3100-mile Self-Transcendence Race".

      From the Preface:
      "The runners and helpers all derived boundless inspiration from Sri
      Chinmoy's morning prayers."

      The prayer is beautifully written in Sri Chinmoy's own handwriting.

      God-faith-seed
      Becomes slowly
      But unmistakably
      A God-treasure-tree.

      Sri Chinmoy
    • cott_doris
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2007
        Dear Beverly,

        I am not sure you are talking about the song composed yesterday
        at the Self-Transcendance marathon at Rock Lake. That one I was lucky
        to receive. Definitely unofficial version.

        "A marathon
        Is unimaginable joy
        To the heart
        And unspeakable torture
        To the body, mind and vital."
      • beverly_canada
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2007
          Hi Doris

          Sorry for the ambiguity. The aphorism I posted was from a book I
          received from the book-club. Than-you for posting the version from
          Rockland Lake (I mistakenly wrote Rock Lake in the previous message).
          Paddling is nice, but like you, my heart is elsewhere as Sri Chinmoy's
          birthday approaches,

          Beverly

        • cott_doris
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2007
            I had a funny feeling when I wrote "Rock lake" but somehow was
            to 'lazy' to look it up... rock in the lake or rock on the land - it
            all makes sense. :-)

            Our mutual 'fate' made me think of Sri Aurobindo. He and his brothers
            were brought to Oxford, England at a young age. For some reason their
            father stopped sending money for them. Facing poverty he or his brother
            said, that they had the opportunity to have more oneness with the poor
            and then they forgot about it. Soon after that Sri Aurobindo started
            publishing his early works - he brought home money.

            I am trying to have more oneness with our senior members who almost
            never go to New York, they are so kind, generous and caring.

            It also made me think of the Russian students who rarely see their
            master. They are organising races such as a marathon on Guru's
            birthday. They are inspiring me.

            Well, ...

            Doris
          • ttstp
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
              This is also an unofficial version of the aphorism that Sri Chinmoy
              gave at the start of the marathon but this is what I wrote down:

              Marathon is an unimaginable
              joy-experience of the heart.
              Marathon is an unbearable
              suffering-experience of the body, vital and the mind.

              It was a wonderful race and I was so happy to be there even though I
              was not running.

              Shirley