Skip to search.

Re: From 200 metres to 33,700 Miles

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
      Hi Everybody,
      When I turn my thoughts to Suprabha, I find myself remembering how
      recently in history that women were prohibited from running in the
      Boston Marathon. The first woman had to just jump in and run it
      unofficially. My how times have changed when a woman participates in
      the world's longest race.

      In that light, I fully expect she will be prominently featured in
      history books someday as a pioneer in the world of female athleticism.
      And I am so proud of her to think that she is the only individual -
      male or female - to actually participate in every single edition of
      this race over the last 11 years.

      I took some photos of her while I was in NY over the weekend and
      thanks to the miracle of lending someone your memory card there is
      already a "Suprabha" album at the 3100 mile race site. It can be
      quickly reached through the url shortcut http://tinyurl.com/35c8oz

      Rather than using that however, I highly recommend perusing the entire
      site.
      http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/3100

      4 runners have finished 3100 miles and more are due to finish soon,
      including two tomorrow August 6th. Asprihanal was extraordinary with
      his common 70+ mileage days steady through the race. He was the first
      finisher, completing the distance on July 31st.

      When I wandered and waited along the race track to take photos (mostly
      but not only of Suprabha), that rhythm really started to sink in. They
      would come by over and over on the half mile loop and the magnitude of
      doing that for (is it about 18 hours a day?)so long through all kinds
      of weather, etc. is quite awe-inspiring.

      True confessions - I was mostly seated under the shade of a tree
      during the scorchingly hot summer weather while I took pictures and
      waited for them to come back around. Their perspective was altogether
      much more vertical :-)