By example

  • beverly_canada
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2007
      Sri Chinmoy's accomplishments in the world of athletics, music, art ,
      poetry and singing and writing, published and unpublished, offer
      inspiration by example. In the book "Conversations with Sri
      Chinmoy", 1,562nd book written since Sri Chinmoy came to the west in
      1964, I read :
      "... sometimes I show off! I play one-hundred instruments, but it is
      only for my students, to give them joy!"
      Sri Chinmoy

      I also read from an interview for Omni magazine in 1989 that Sri
      Chinmoy has run 22 marathons and a few ultra-marathons. Shortly
      before his 70th birthday, I watched in awe at a birthday celebration
      gathering of his students as Sri Chinmoy did seventy push-ups in
      perfect form.

      What is behind the indomitable transcendence of the "limits" of the
      body?

      Question: I find that as we get older we have to be kinder to our
      physical body.

      Sri Chinmoy: Not at all. I do not agree with your theory! If we
      become kinder to our physical body then we shall only lie down and
      sleep for twenty-four hours. The older we become, the more we have to
      be conscious about the activities of the body and the stronger will we
      have to be. Otherwise, lethargy will overtake us.

      (All quotations in this article are unofficial)

      Beverly