jellyfish concentration

  • beverly_canada
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2007
      One-pointed concentration
      Is the pathfinder
      For a deeper meditative
      Consciousness.

      Sri Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/241.html

      "There are three stages in our spiritual practice. It starts with
      concentration, then meditation, then contemplation." -Sri Chinmoy
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/earth-cry/part1/51.html

      The talk that this quotation had been taken from is also available on
      the online Sri Chinmoy TV:

      http://www.srichinmoy.tv/meditation_videos/what_is_meditation

      A while back Doris asked me to post something about my son. This
      incident took place some time ago. It concerns concentration.

      I had been trying to teach my son how to concentrate.

      Yesterday we went for a walk to a float on the ocean. I stood at the
      edge and observed some small jelly fish but he REALLY looked. He lay
      down and draped himself over the edge and peered into the dark water.
      A little ball jelly fish was the focus of his absorbtion. To picture
      this jellyfish Imagine an inflatable beach ball (an analogy offered by
      my son). The ball bulges out between the longitudinal segments,
      making a scalloped profile if viewed from the `north pole'. Now
      imagine the ball is almost transparent, a little milky and no more
      than two centimeters in diameter, with tentacles of almost
      indiscernible slenderness trailing from the `south pole'. "It's
      emitting light", he exclaimed. So I, too, knelt and we concentrated
      on this tiny wondrous piece of creation. Sure enough, a minute or so
      of patient watching revealed a flash of blue which traveled up along
      one of the lines. But purple, that I had not seen. My son had. Not
      so easy to detect in summer sunshine. Finally I let go of my
      restlessness, quieted myself and concentrated, patiently,
      patiently,... and finally witnessed a fleeting glimpse of subtle
      purplish-blue traversing a globe suspended in a watery world.
      Joy shared.

      I had been trying to teach my son how to concentrate.

      Beverly

      A new philosophy:
      To teach is to learn.
      To learn is to reveal constantly
      One's inner perfection.

      Sri Chinmoy
      No. 5726 from "Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 58".
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flower-flames/part58/26.html
    • priyadarshan44
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2007
        Beverly wrote:
        > One-pointed concentration
        > Is the pathfinder
        > For a deeper meditative
        > Consciousness.
        >
        > Sri Chinmoy

        > A while back Doris asked me to post something about my son. This
        > incident took place some time ago. It concerns concentration.

        I found this post most inspiring and enriching. With your permission, I
        will publish it on my blog as well, as an Inspiration-Group Gem.

        Thank-you very much Beverly

        Priyadarshan
      • beverly_canada
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
          Honoured. Please go ahead Priyadarshan. Beverly

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, priyadarshan44
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Beverly wrote:
          > > One-pointed concentration
          > > Is the pathfinder
          > > For a deeper meditative
          > > Consciousness.
          > >
          > > Sri Chinmoy
          >
          > > A while back Doris asked me to post something about my son. This
          > > incident took place some time ago. It concerns concentration.
          >
          > I found this post most inspiring and enriching. With your permission, I
          > will publish it on my blog as well, as an Inspiration-Group Gem.
          >
          > Thank-you very much Beverly
          >
          > Priyadarshan

        • cott_doris
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2007
            Ahh, children!! Your description was very imaginable. I enjoyed it
            reading.

            P.S. Once I was standing in line to receive a notebook from Guru and
            I asked Priyadarshan whether it was possible to get one extra for my
            son. He closed his eyes for *quite* some time then opened them and
            said, "I think it's o.k."

            Then when I was standing in front of Guru he said in a very lovely
            way, "For your son?" I nodded and then he opened the notebook and
            wrote some kind words down for him and drawed a beautiful bird (as
            they all are). I was very happy.

            We do not live in the same country, my son is 25 years now (Gosh,
            time is passing by). We met Guru for the first time when he was 7
            years old. In Berlin, where we met him Guru put his hand on his head
            and some time later he said to Thirtha, "I know him."

            I sent the notebook by mail to my son. When I later called him he
            said, "I will take care not to mess it up until I find a frame for
            it." Kids!;-)... or boys?

            Doris
            the shaker