)T: photo opportunities

    Message 1 of 4 , May 27 1:24 PM
      From the picture taking in-box, I have a few miscellaneous musings.
      May I first welcome Meriem to the centre galleries with her first
      album of photos from Turkey. You can visit it at - oops it was there
      two days ago but now I cannot locate it. It must still be getting off
      the ground. Hopefully she will let us know here once it's back live again.

      In an earlier message I had mentioned Jowan's photos of Mongolia and
      can now link to them live at:
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/jowan/mongolia/
      I especially like the People of Ulaanbaatar album.

      And Pavitrata is back in action as cygnet adorable headquarters. Check
      out snackin and snoozin
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/pavitrata/snackin_.jpg.html
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/pavitrata/IMG_0083.jpg.html

      As for me, my latest animal adventures include quite a few sightings
      on my day off this past Friday (by the way I will soon join the
      regular M-F crowd come July when my work changes hours around). At the
      bike path I saw baby Canadian Geese (goslings), a rabbit, a chipmunk,
      butterflies and after I came home I saw a hummingbird in my backyard
      flitting among some flowering bushes that pop out ever Memorial Day.
      The hummingbird was a total shock. I have never seen one in Rhode
      Island in lo these many years I have lived here. I couldn't attribute
      it to the new birdfeeder since that was empty and even when stocked
      does not contain the kind of food they like. It was a precious moment
      for me - like a gift from the universe of a present that it knows I
      like to ease my heavy heart over the somewhat stressful changes
      running rampant in my life right now.

      I got pictures of the goslings and rabbit - not the rest.
      See them at
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/east_bay_bike_path/bunny+in+the+woods.jpg.html
      and
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/east_bay_bike_path/Baby+geese+for+Memorial+Day.jpg.html

      Either Mama or Papa goose didn't let me get too close for picture
      taking, keeping a wary eye in my direction once they came up on the
      shore. I may try my luck with a return visit after I finish writing
      this message.

      Last but not least, I just purchased some software called
      Noise Ninja that I first heard of when reading a review of the camera
      I just recently bought. You can learn more about it their website
      http://www.picturecode.com/
      It says that most major U.S. newspapers use it. I haven't profiled my
      Olympus camera yet to use it fully but have already played around with
      running some of my photos through it and letting it do an auto profile
      "noise" removal process. I think it will be well worth the 35 dollars
      and guess it moves me more completely in the direction of abandoning
      some of my former purist tendencies about photo editing. Now if I
      could only overcome my inertia to really learn more about the nuts and
      bolts of photography in the first place.

      During Celebrations, Pranlobha gave me a Photoshop lesson (God Bless
      her to the skies!) where we tried to improve some of my photos taken
      with both the old and new camera. After listening to her talk of
      setting white balance with shots of the area before even beginning to
      shoot using all manual settings (among other comments), I started to
      think of that old adage "garbage in, garbarge out." There's only so
      much fixing you can do if there were flaws in the first place in the
      photo such as overexposure. It left me feeling like it was more
      important to technically learn to take a good picture in the first
      place rather than spend hours afterwards tweaking it. Yet Noise Ninja
      beckoned and it may be another feather in my currently permanent
      layperson's cap.

      One photo I used Noise Ninja on is the one that Sumangali likes and I
      do see a difference.
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/newcamera/flowers/Tree+in+Blossom.JPG.html
      I guess this also reveals my perfectionist nature that I felt there
      was big room for improvement in a photo that was already so
      well-liked by at least one person. We'll have to see if once I figure
      out how to profile the camera if the results improve even more.

      I am really grateful to have the galleries for us to share pictures
      with each other. What a boon to see pictures of Mongolia even while
      they were still there. Many thanks to all involved in making it happen.

      Sharani
    • johnji_nz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28 1:48 AM
        Hi Sharani,

        Now that I have finally seen it, I can certainly agree that that is
        quite some photo!

        I personally would be hesitant to recommend spending money on such a
        plugin, unless of course for you money is as abundant as trees ;-)

        I doubt you are taking a lot of pictures in low-light or at high
        speeds, and if you want to get ultimate clarity an old-fashioned
        tripod would probably be just as effective, if not more so.

        The despeckle filter in Photoshop can help a little with noise, as can
        smart sharpen and guassian blur btw, sometimes selectively applied.

        And of course nothing can replace the talented eye that you obviously
        already have.

        John-Paul

> [...]
        > place rather than spend hours afterwards tweaking it. Yet Noise Ninja
        > beckoned and it may be another feather in my currently permanent
        > layperson's cap.
        >
        > One photo I used Noise Ninja on is the one that Sumangali likes and I
        > do see a difference.

        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/newcamera/flowers/Tree+in+Blossom.JPG.html
        > I guess this also reveals my perfectionist nature that I felt there
        > was big room for improvement in a photo that was already so
        > well-liked by at least one person. We'll have to see if once I figure
        > out how to profile the camera if the results improve even more.
        >
        > I am really grateful to have the galleries for us to share pictures
        > with each other. What a boon to see pictures of Mongolia even while
        > they were still there. Many thanks to all involved in making it happen.

      • pavitrata27
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28 4:25 PM
          Hi Sharani,

          Enthusiasm-queen, you! Well done!

          Pranlobha (no slouch photographer, she) is right about white balance
          on digital cameras, it really is worthwhile exploring any manual over-
          rides your camera offers.

          I have recently bought a little Sony point and shoot credit card
          sized camera (impulse buy, too chic to resist!!). I have been shocked
          to find that the auto-white balance on it is often more accurate than
          my top of the range digital SLR! So I have been going back and
          playing with white balance a lot recently.

          In doing so I have discovered a neat little Photoshop secret that can
          go a long way towards correcting white balance cast errors. Here it
          is:

          Open your image file, preferably one where the white balance doesn't
          seem right. Now click on Image/Adjustments/Levels from the menu bar.
          The Levels sub menu box will open up. In the lower right corner you
          will see three eye drop boxes. The far right represents white, the
          middle grey, the left pure black. Click on the far right (pure white)
          dropper box. Now look for something that you know should be pure
          white, or as close to white as can be, in your photo, however small.
          Click on that area with the eye dropper from the right hand box
          selected.

          You should see a noticeable improvement in the overall brightness and
          cleanness of the image. Whites will be white. Now do the same with
          the left dropper, but click on an area of what you know should be
          black. Again, your blacks will be nice and deep which will tweak the
          overall image still further. You can now try the middle dropper, the
          grey one, which establishes pure greys in your image, but in practice
          I find this is a tricky one to use.

          On the other hand, sometimes you want a colour cast, the red of
          sundown, the blue of twilight.

          Whilst it is true that Curves (Image/Adjustments/Curves)is a far more
          accurate and subtle way of dealing with images, when one has a lot of
          pix to process or isn't that confident in Photoshop, then Levels are
          a lot more straightforward if a little drastic.

          Re noise, (I prefer to call it grain, noise is so audible) I think it
          is the price you pay for a camera with a long range between wide and
          max zoom. As the camera zooms in less light is able to enter the
          lens, modern all-in-one digital cameras may auto-compensate by upping
          the ISO or digital sensitivity. On a camera with a 10x optical zoom
          this can make a staggering difference to the image quality, let alone
          the levels of magnfication involved. There is a strong case for
          locking your camera to a fixed ISO, say 400 max, pr better still,
          200, and getting closer to your subject instead of relying on the
          monster zoom. Grain (noise!) varies from one camera brand to another,
          but you would be shocked to see that one camera maker's ISO 1600 is
          better than another's ISO 400!

          Anyway, techie stuff, blah blah. Hope it helps. At the end of the day
          an intriguing perceptively observed photo with a lot of grain (noise)
          is always preferable to a clean but dull photo.

          As for the cygnets, same old same old, snackin', snoozin' strollin',
          I guess. To misquote the famous comedy line, no hanging gardens of
          Babylon or magnificent herds of wildebeest in South London on a grey
          day!!

          Hence my great enjoyment of Projjwal's photos. Ah, for distant lands!

          pip-pip!
          Pavitrata

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz

          Message 4 of 4 , May 30 8:30 PM
            Guess what? That levels/eye dropper feature of Photoshop was the first
            thing Pranlobha showed me in the lesson. I finally started reading
            "The complete idiot's guide to digital photography" and have already
            learned that RGB stands for red, green, blue. I certainly didn't know
            that and gobs of other stuff too I'm sure.

            At the moment I somehow think of white balance like doing the laundry
            and whether or not one analyzes how to separate what types of clothes
            get washed in what temperatures, with or without bleach, fabric
            softener, etc. In my lazy streak there too, I tend to just wash
            everything in cold water with the same detergent on pretty much the
            same settings. Lack of specialization can get you in trouble though
            like when I washed some bed pillows because the tag on the pillow said
            you could and the washing machine nearly lifted off for the moon as it
            rattled around. I've got bits of pillow stuffing fluff stuck to the
            edges of the rim now in the washer. Guess you can't believe everything
            you read on the label. ;-)

            Thanks for taking the time to share that Photoshop feature with us
            here. Once I get my RGBs rhyming with my ISOs I'm sure I'll be on my
            way to photo paradise. In the meantime, thank goodness enthusiasm can
            compensate for expertise. I did get the chipmunk photo too. Do you
            have chipmunks in London?

            Sharani

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27