OT: Update (Re: American World Harmony Run meets "American Idol" TV show)

  • richard13_oxford
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2007
      I say! I think that's a splendid idea! Our Sanjaya on American idol,
      reciting the Mahabharata!

      I don't know anything about American Idol, but, I assume this would be
      a unique kind of performance?

      regards,

      Richard

      p.s. At first glance I thought it was making reference to a boy
      called, Sanjay - a talented actor in the centre.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, martanda_oslo
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > an American Idol Tour. Reportedly he is very excited.
      > >
      > > The fundraising/charitable shows were held last week. On Tuesday,
      > > contestants performed, interspersed with clips of Idol host & judges
      > > touring areas of Africa & the US where charity dollars will be spent.
      > > The theme for the contestants was to perform "inspiring" music.
      > > Because of the theme, it seemed a bit out of place for judges to
      > > critique the songs. How do you critique somebody's inspirational
      > > song? Yet it is a singing competition. The judging was definitely
      > > toned way down. Then the audience was encouraged to vote, vote, vote
      > > more than ever because corporate monetary matches were pledged to the
      > > number of votes called in.
      > >
      > > Every week, Wednesday night has been "Results Show." This week, the
      > > Wednesday night show was 2 hours long, and I taped it since I wouldn't
      > > be home. When I got home, I flipped to the end of the tape, curious to
      > > know who had been voted off, by default of the lowest number of votes.
      > > I was surprised to see the producers decided--- apparently without
      > > telling anyone in advance--- that *nobody* would be sent home that
      > > night, as it seemed contrary to the spirit of the fundraising. Now I
      > > agree, but then I feel it should have been made clear upfront that
      > > this would not be a "results" show. Were they afraid nobody would
      > > watch it if they knew? It came off like they had manipulated the
      > > audience. Vote, vote, vote the night before but then when you tune in
      > > for results it is a big fundraiser only--- sorry, next week two people
      > > will leave to make up for it.
      > >
      > > I think there are some conflicts of interest to be worked out, if
      > > American Idol wants to try something like this again, but it would be
      > > great if they can find a way to do it.
      > >
      > > Sarah
      > > Seattle
      > > (who, by the way, has never voted)
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sharani_sharani
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Sarah,
      > > > It's a small world! We had a local contestant too from Massachusetts
      > > > until recently and he was a regular feature on the local Fox news
      > > > programming. The show is certainly a phenomenon. Some years I
      miss the
      > > > whole season, other years I catch it here and there. The other
      night I
      > > > was really inspired to hear that they are incorporating a
      > > > fundraising/charitable theme to the show to raise money for the poor
      > > > in Africa and America. Since as many as 37 million votes come in on
      > > > each week's elimination round, I think it's really encouraging
      that so
      > > > many people will have the chance to broaden their participation
      beyond
      > > > a simple talent contest and help some worthy causes. It sounds like
      > > > one show will almost be like a live-aid rock concert with Bono and
      > > > others. Quincy Jones is composing a special song for it too.
      With this

      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2007
        Hi Sarah,
        Remember about how you wrote about the gospel group that performed at
        the World Harmony Run in Seattle that included Sanjaya, the American
        Idol contestant? The gospel group and the choir director were featured
        tonight on the evening world news - ABC I think. Seattle was the big
        topic of the news show tonight since they also talked about the
        phenomenon of "Northwest Nice" and how people can get in big trouble
        for even just cutting in line - for the ferry in particular. They said
        people are known for being friendly, laid back but very well-mannered
        by waiting for lights to cross streets, etc. I must say that I
        certainly feel inundated by "niceness" when socializing and chatting
        with you. Thanks for sharing the "Northwest Nice" vibe with us all.

        Sharani

        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > until recently and he was a regular feature on the local Fox news
        > > > programming. The show is certainly a phenomenon. Some years I
        miss the
        > > > whole season, other years I catch it here and there. The other
        night I
        > > > was really inspired to hear that they are incorporating a
        > > > fundraising/charitable theme to the show to raise money for the poor
        > > > in Africa and America. Since as many as 37 million votes come in on
        > > > each week's elimination round, I think it's really encouraging
        that so
        > > > many people will have the chance to broaden their participation
        beyond
        > > > a simple talent contest and help some worthy causes. It sounds like
        > > > one show will almost be like a live-aid rock concert with Bono and
        > > > others. Quincy Jones is composing a special song for it too.

      • sarah_inseattle
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2007
          Hi Sharani,
          YES! I saw that. Pat Wright, the choir director, was ABC's "Person of
          the Week!" It is so odd, because I can't remember the last time I saw
          ABC news, but I happened to see it that night, and was able to tape
          the "Person of the Week" segment.

          Here is a link:
          http://abcnews.go.com/WN/PersonOfWeek/story?id=3166750&page=1

          Well, if I have the "Northwest Nice" vibe, then you have the Northeast
          Nice" vibe. And to think, we are each transplants!

          In resonance & harmony :-)
          Sarah