Re: Does anyone know anything about astronomy?

  • rathin31
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2007
      Thank you so much for the enlightening banter Alf, but I believe I am
      on the way to solving my astronomical conundrum. Why do we see some of
      the same stars in the sky six months from now, despite being as far
      away from this point of our planetary orbit as we can get, whilst
      looking out into the cosmos in the other direction to the one we can
      look out into tonight? Because our world is a sphere, and most of us
      do not live on the equator. Being "down under" here in Australia, we
      are always to an extent looking "down" into the great star-studded
      vault of the cosmos, just as those who are in the Northern Hemisphere
      are looking up.

      Now for a trick question! How many constellations are there in the
      Zodiac? 12, you might reply? Well, what about Ophiuchus, the Serpent
      Wrestler? His constellation, the 13th, was booted out of the company
      of star signs by the Greeks, who wanted a nice neat 12 signs, each one
      ruling an even 30 degrees of the sky. If your birthday falls between
      November 30 and December 17, which is when the sun passes through
      Ophiuchus, you could claim him as your star sign (unofficially). You
      can see where to find him at

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, candidsnap