OT: Update (Re: American World Harmony Run meets "American Idol" TV show)

  • sarah_inseattle
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2007
      Forgive me for replying to my own post--- I just found out that the
      American Idol shows last week raised a jaw-dropping $70 million for
      needy children in the US & Africa. I am speechless.

      Sarah
      Seattle

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Wednesday night show was 2 hours long, and I taped it since I wouldn't
      > be home. When I got home, I flipped to the end of the tape, curious to
      > know who had been voted off, by default of the lowest number of votes.
      > I was surprised to see the producers decided--- apparently without
      > telling anyone in advance--- that *nobody* would be sent home that
      > night, as it seemed contrary to the spirit of the fundraising. Now I
      > agree, but then I feel it should have been made clear upfront that
      > this would not be a "results" show. Were they afraid nobody would
      > watch it if they knew? It came off like they had manipulated the
      > audience. Vote, vote, vote the night before but then when you tune in
      > for results it is a big fundraiser only--- sorry, next week two people
      > will leave to make up for it.
      >
      > I think there are some conflicts of interest to be worked out, if
      > American Idol wants to try something like this again, but it would be
      > great if they can find a way to do it.
      >
      > Sarah
      > Seattle
      > (who, by the way, has never voted)

      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Sarah,
      > > It's a small world! We had a local contestant too from Massachusetts
      > > until recently and he was a regular feature on the local Fox news
      > > programming. The show is certainly a phenomenon. Some years I miss the
      > > whole season, other years I catch it here and there. The other night I
      > > was really inspired to hear that they are incorporating a
      > > fundraising/charitable theme to the show to raise money for the poor
      > > in Africa and America. Since as many as 37 million votes come in on
      > > each week's elimination round, I think it's really encouraging that so
      > > many people will have the chance to broaden their participation beyond
      > > a simple talent contest and help some worthy causes. It sounds like
      > > one show will almost be like a live-aid rock concert with Bono and
      > > others. Quincy Jones is composing a special song for it too. With this
      > > new approach they finally get my vote.
      > >
      > > Sharani
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > What do the American World Harmony Run and "American Idol" have in
      > > > common? Besides both being American, the answer is: Sanjaya
      > Malakar.
      > > > He is a 17 year-old youth from nearby Federal Way, Washington,
      and a
      > > > member of The Total Experience Gospel Choir, which performed at a
      > 2006
      > > > World Harmony Run ceremony here in Seattle. He is also a
      finalist in
      > > > the nationwide TV show, "American Idol."
      > > >
      > > > Okay, I'll admit I watch the show. A little guilty pleasure of
      > mine :-)
      > > > One night earlier in the competition, Pranlobha saw the show and
      > > > recognized Sanjaya from the Gospel Choir. All of us at Seattle
      Centre
      > > > are getting such a big kick out of it!
      > > >
      > > > For those who may not be familiar with the show, American Idol is
      > a TV
      > > > show singing-contest. Tens and tens of thousands of people
      > audition in
      > > > about half a dozen cities around the US. The judges narrow them
      down
      > > > to the top 24 contestants, 12 men and 12 women. From that point
      > on, the
      > > > judges continue to give feedback, but the American viewing public
      > casts
      > > > votes each week, based on each singer's solo performances, for
      their
      > > > favorite singers. Singers with the lowest number of votes leave
      the
      > > > show, and the competition continues, until only one singer remains.
      > > >
      > > > Sanjaya not only made it to the top 24, but is now among the top
      > 16. It
      > > > is an incredible accomplishment in itself, especially for one so
      > > > young. Others in the competition are up to age 29 and have been
      > > > performing for decades. Sanjaya will perform tonight (Tuesday
      > March 6)
      > > > with the other 7 men, and will find out on Thursday in a "Results
      > Show"
      > > > if he is still in the running.
      > > >
      > > > To see a photo of Sanjaya, visit:
      > > > http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/sanjaya_malakar/
      > > >
      > > > Sanjaya faces some amazingly talented competition, and we wish him
      > all
      > > > the best!
      > > >
      > > > Sarah
      > > > Seattle

    • richard13_oxford
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2007
        I say! I think that's a splendid idea! Our Sanjaya on American idol,
        reciting the Mahabharata!

        I don't know anything about American Idol, but, I assume this would be
        a unique kind of performance?

        regards,

        Richard

        p.s. At first glance I thought it was making reference to a boy
        called, Sanjay - a talented actor in the centre.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, martanda_oslo

        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2007
          Hi Sarah,
          Remember about how you wrote about the gospel group that performed at
          the World Harmony Run in Seattle that included Sanjaya, the American
          Idol contestant? The gospel group and the choir director were featured
          tonight on the evening world news - ABC I think. Seattle was the big
          topic of the news show tonight since they also talked about the
          phenomenon of "Northwest Nice" and how people can get in big trouble
          for even just cutting in line - for the ferry in particular. They said
          people are known for being friendly, laid back but very well-mannered
          by waiting for lights to cross streets, etc. I must say that I
          certainly feel inundated by "niceness" when socializing and chatting
          with you. Thanks for sharing the "Northwest Nice" vibe with us all.

          Sharani

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > until recently and he was a regular feature on the local Fox news
          > > > programming. The show is certainly a phenomenon. Some years I
          miss the
          > > > whole season, other years I catch it here and there. The other
          night I
          > > > was really inspired to hear that they are incorporating a
          > > > fundraising/charitable theme to the show to raise money for the poor
          > > > in Africa and America. Since as many as 37 million votes come in on
          > > > each week's elimination round, I think it's really encouraging
          that so
          > > > many people will have the chance to broaden their participation
          beyond
          > > > a simple talent contest and help some worthy causes. It sounds like
          > > > one show will almost be like a live-aid rock concert with Bono and
          > > > others. Quincy Jones is composing a special song for it too.

        • sarah_inseattle
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2007
            Hi Sharani,
            YES! I saw that. Pat Wright, the choir director, was ABC's "Person of
            the Week!" It is so odd, because I can't remember the last time I saw
            ABC news, but I happened to see it that night, and was able to tape
            the "Person of the Week" segment.

            Here is a link:
            http://abcnews.go.com/WN/PersonOfWeek/story?id=3166750&page=1

            Well, if I have the "Northwest Nice" vibe, then you have the Northeast
            Nice" vibe. And to think, we are each transplants!

            In resonance & harmony :-)
            Sarah