A fount of enthusiasm

  • bahlulie_julie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2007
      Aloha!

      I experienced one of those double-edged sword moments today. After
      opening our café in Brisbane, My Heart Garden, and working
      through until close at 9pm, I was quite tired and more than ready to
      go home. But customers didn't want to leave, cooking kept appearing
      from nowhere, and consequently, when 9pm struck, we were running
      late.

      At 10.30, just as we were finishing up and preparing to leave, a
      young man, who had only actually left 20 minutes earlier, started
      knocking loudly on our front window, signalling eagerly to be let
      in. He was looking really excited about something. We unlocked
      the doors and asked how we could help him.

      He had seen one of Sri Chinmoy's aphorism cards about enthusiasm
      earlier in the evening, but had forgotten to take it with him. He
      and his friend remembered it as they were driving home, and actually
      turned around to come back for it, knowing we were closing. He was
      so excited about it; but he couldn't remember which one it was; only
      that it said something about enthusiasm. We had a look for him, and
      his card was still at the front of the stack. It said:

      To silence enthusiasm
      at any time
      is absolutely wrong.

      He was so grateful that the card was still there, and kept saying
      that the aphorism was `totally awesome.' He looked incredibly happy
      as he left- it was clearly something that meant a lot to him. We
      thanked him for coming back, and were careful to be cheerful, lest
      we silence his enthusiasm! For our part, it was a humorous way to
      end the day, and the charming irony of the whole situation did not
      go unappreciated!

      Julie :)