Another Hero-Champion

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      Ahelee and others who have hero-champions,
      Yes, it is true that Ted Corbitt is one of my hero-champions for
      obvious reasons as a runner, but more significantly as a man who I
      know personally enough to say that he has no pretense when it comes
      to his natural spiritual qualities and humility. If you do a search
      on Ted Corbitt you will find more information about him as well as
      his biography, 'Corbitt'.

      Another hero-champion I admire that most of my friends know is a very
      special inspiration to me as well as to millions of other people, is
      Jeanne d'Arc, a.k.a., Joan of Arc. For those who only have heard
      about her in history class, you should get one of the many hundreds
      of books about her or go to one of many websites about her.

      I cannot get too involved in talking about her now as it would take
      too long. But basically she represented to me an extremely aspiring
      young, simple and pure seeker who surrendered to God's Will when at
      every moment there was incredible odds and lower forces against her.
      She had no direct teacher to tell her what was right or wrong and
      many of the traditional religious laws and customs of the day were
      in opposition to her mission, but her inner voice and her receptivity
      to these inner mesaages and her absolute faith in God allowed her to
      survive long enough to change the world for the better even over 500
      years ago. Many of her influences are still intact today.

      There is too much detail to explain it all here, but I would like to
      share a few quotes which were well recorded back then. She could not
      read or write, which allowed her to avoid the tremendous
      pitfalls of an overly developed intellect although she was brilliant
      in many other ways.These short quotes from her that demonstrated her
      absloute faith in God for which she gave her life at age 19, and in
      so doing accomplished the goals which were expected of her, the hard
      way.

      "Hope in God. If you have good hope and faith in Him, you shall be
      delivered from your enemies."

      "Fear not. The hour is ripe when God pleases. We must work when God
      wills. "Toil and God will toil."

      "Fear not, however many they be! Neither weigh difficulties. God
      guides out work. Were I not certain that God guides this work, I
      would rather keep sheep than expose myself to such perils."

      "My Lord has a book in which no scholar has read, how perfect soever
      he be in scholarship."

      I hope those will inspire some of you as they have me. The next
      time we fear to partake on a project or goal that may seem quite
      difficult or nearly impossible, take some inspiration from this
      young 'maid', one of the greatest heroes, or heroines, ever to live
      and to offer her life for others. Five hundred years later she was
      ordained a Catholic Saint.
      To find out more about what she did and how, just go to any Joan of
      Arc website. There are many.

      Arpan